SPOTY 2015

Lineker

• Admin

Twelve contenders have been shortlisted for the 2015 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award on 20 December.

Athletes Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah and Greg Rutherford are included, with tennis player Andy Murray, F1's Lewis Hamilton and footballer Lucy Bronze.

Boxer Tyson Fury, cyclists Chris Froome and Lizzie Armitstead, swimmer Adam Peaty, gymnast Max Whitlock and rugby league's Kevin Sinfield are nominated.

The public vote for their favourite by phone and online on the night.

This year's winner will be announced during the live Sports Personality of the Year show at Belfast's SSE Arena, as the sell-out show is held in Northern Ireland for the first time.

Following the weekend triumphs of Fury and Murray, the shortlist was extended from 10 to 12 by a panel of experts.

Panel chair Barbara Slater, the BBC's director of sport, said: "As always, there was a lot of debate and discussion amongst the industry panel when deciding the final list of nominees. The panel was faced with some incredibly tough choices.

"All nominees have achieved exceptional success in their respective fields in the past year and we wish each of them the best of luck, while also looking forward to a great night in Belfast."

Sports Personality shortlisting panel

• Representatives from BBC Sport: Barbara Slater (director, BBC Sport), Philip Bernie (head of TV Sport) and Carl Doran (executive editor, BBC Sports Personality of the Year). Representative from BBC TV Sport: Jermaine Jenas. Pan-sports broadcaster/journalist: Hazel Irvine.
  • National newspapers: Tim Hallissey (the Times), Ian Prior (the Guardian) and Cliff Hayes (the Sun)
  • Former nominees of an award: Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, Maggie Alphonsi and Dame Mary Peters. UK sports industry: Baroness Sue Campbell

Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan will present the show on BBC One, with further coverage on Radio 5 live and the BBC Sport website.

Voting details, including phone numbers for each nominee, are announced during the programme, when people can cast their votes online.

Pop star Ella Henderson will open this year's show, performing with drum and bass duo Sigma and accompanied by the Ulster Orchestra.

In addition to the main prize, there will also be seven other awards on the night:

• Team of the Year
  • Coach of the Year
  • Overseas Sports Personality of the Year
  • Young Sports Personality of the Year
  • Helen Rollason Award
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
  • Unsung Hero

Voting for the winner takes place on 20 December and votes can be cast by phone or online. The number to call for each contender will be revealed during the programme. There is no voting via email, Red Button or by text.

The Overseas Sports Personality of the Year will this year be decided by a public vote for the first time. Voting for this award is now open and closes on Friday, 11 December.

Leeds Rhinos should get team of the year, as much as I can't stand them, but it'll end up going to the Davis Cup team. Not sure who deserves the individual award though; I've got a feeling Dettori might get it though on the basis that he retired this year.

I think all 12 people up for the award deserve to be there arguably, Joe Root being missing is odd though. I'd give it to Ennis-Hill, Murray or Froome personally, but that's just me. And England's Women's Football Team or the Davis Cup Tennis team deserve the Team award.

3 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

Does someone who thinks homosexuality is as bad as paedophilia deserve to be nominated for SPOTY?

Being a bad person doesn't mean his achievement is any less wonderful .Just means it was done by a total cock.

• Like 1

I know practically speaking nobody takes it into account, but the award is called "Sports Personality of the Year". Maybe we should, to some extent, account for personality here.

Most of the winners of this award - as well as this year's nominees - don't actually have a personality, which has always made me feel the award ought to be renamed. Tyson Fury, to his credit, does seem to possess a personality. It's just not a very good one. And I think that's worse - and makes you a lesser contender - than someone that actually lacks a personality.

The metric, to my mind, would award a zerp to those without a personality. Jessica Ennis-Hill, Mo Farah, David Beckham and so on - they are all zeroes. In most years, zero personality points is normally good enough to at least put you level with all other nominees.

Despite not having heard of him until a couple of days ago, I'm confident enough in asserting that Tyson Fury has negative personality points. He's not a good contender. Those without personalities are beating him. Lewis Hamilton also has negative points - as would Jamie Vardy if he was nominated for this contest and duly submitted to my judging process.

So the winner? Andy Murray, who has five personality points (for the sake of comparison, I have 7000pp) because he says something funny from time to time. Five personality points. Enough to make him a clear winner.

• Like 2