Random Music Thoughts

Benji

4 hours ago, RPS said:

I have always been a fan of System of a Down, but listening to them today and man oh man are they great. Hypnotize and Mesmerize are underrated. 

The weird thing is those are the only SoaD albums I own and realistically have listened to at all, I think they just came out at a time of my life when I had lots of time to listen to music. Both great.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RPS said:

I have always been a fan of System of a Down, but listening to them today and man oh man are they great. Hypnotize and Mesmerize are underrated. 

So many people want a new SOAD album, but I'm worried it wouldn't be as good as the old stuff. I think they have a very good track record and I don't want them to spoil it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

So many people want a new SOAD album, but I'm worried it wouldn't be as good as the old stuff. I think they have a very good track record and I don't want them to spoil it.

I mean... I used to love the band Refused and thought they were in the conversation for the greatest of all time with only two LPs. They reunited and released a shit load of awful music. I just pretend they never reunited.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Pale Waves had more music out. 1 album and a couple extra songs. Their music is just perfect "vibe" music for me. It just hits right.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New Pale Waves song premiered!

I'm Kinda disappointed? it's not bad but it's not got the same kind of vibe to it I was waiting for.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What is everyone's music comfort food? The music that you can put on at any point and it will instantly put a smile on your face. Not necessarily the best or your favorite, but the thing that can always put you in the right mood. 

Mine is definitely Tacocat. They are an indie/punk rock band from Seattle. They write 3 minute picture perfect pop punk tracks. Nothing groundbreaking, but no matter my mood or what I am currently obsessed with, I can always turn on Tacocat and smile. 

Is Taylor Swift too cliche an answer? Because I think it's Taylor Swift, possibly. Taylor Swift and, um, Ghost.

23 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Is Taylor Swift too cliche an answer? Because I think it's Taylor Swift, possibly. Taylor Swift and, um, Ghost.

No. She is great comfort music. Easy to listen too, inoffensive and fun.

Ya know I think I'd go with Morphine as my comfort music. Cure For Pain specifically, what an album. It's cool, it's upbeat, it's beautiful, and it's fun. All three members are great musicians (love the Sax and Bass tone specifically) and Mark Sandman's baritone voice is just fucking sexy. 

All Time Low. Before 2016, when I really got into live music, I never really listened to them bar a few singles but they were my girlfriend's favourite band. They've subsequently become one of my favourites because they're fucking great. So many bangers.

10 hours ago, RPS said:

What is everyone's music comfort food? The music that you can put on at any point and it will instantly put a smile on your face. Not necessarily the best or your favorite, but the thing that can always put you in the right mood. 

Mine is definitely Tacocat. They are an indie/punk rock band from Seattle. They write 3 minute picture perfect pop punk tracks. Nothing groundbreaking, but no matter my mood or what I am currently obsessed with, I can always turn on Tacocat and smile. 

For a song set to one of the bleakest moments in the whole show, it just works for me somehow, especially 5:45 on.

• Like 1

Teenage Fanclub. Realistically I'm 10 years younger than their fanbase (Kurt Cobain was a fan, while I didn't really pick up on them til I was at uni in 2001/2ish), and they're the most basic indie band you'll ever come across, but the songs are just so well put together with harmonies and what have you that I can happily do a "Play all" on Spotify on a 30 year discography without skipping a track. Especially in Summer. The 90s combo of Grand Prix and Songs From Northern Britain (and to a lesser extent Thirteen) are just perfect guitar pop.

8 hours ago, metalman said:

I quite like smooth pop/rock music for that sort of thing. Hall & Oates is ideal. Pretty much all of the so-called yacht rock.

Steely too?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if y'all have seen "Bean Dad" on Twitter, but it's tweets by this guy where he bemoans how his young daughter came to him, hungry, with a can of beans, and he told her to open them with a can opener and cook them herself. Then she came back wanting to know how to use the can opener. It comes off as a lot of "old man yells about how the youth are spoiled", but we're talking about a young daughter (under 8, I wanna say she's 6?) so he comes off like a giant dickhead.

Anyway, "Bean Dad" is John Roderick, who was in Harvey Danger, as well as being the writer of the theme song for the podcast My Brother, My Brother And Me. Old tweets of his from 9-10 years ago also surfaced where he's making a lot of "edgy" jokes, anti-Semitic jokes, and generally just... being very awful. He's since deleted his Twitter and the McElroys have said that going forward MBMBAM won't be using his music anymore.