Random Music Thoughts

Benji

16 hours ago, RPS said:

@ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster I would have guessed some mid 90s electronic. Do you like Air? That would have been my guess. 

I have a number of Air albums so your guess isn't ridiculous. I love how they brought something new to the genres they filled and, much like Royksopp, every now and again there's an itch that only they can scratch.

The Animal Collective's best album is Painting With, which I think is a pretty controversial take. I love that Animal Collective embraced their pop side and just leaned in heavily to make a poppy psychedelic album. 

I really like a whole load of Animal Collective stuff but I didn't particularly like that Centipede Hz one and lost track of everything that came after. Maybe I should give it a go, because the sort of thing you describe is exactly what I like about them. Centipede Hz was just a racket.

On 10/11/2020 at 13:43, =BK= said:

New Pale Waves song premiered!

I'm Kinda disappointed? it's not bad but it's not got the same kind of vibe to it I was waiting for.

So yeah I don't think I've ever really felt this way about an album. It's like I can't judge it for what it is, just for what it's not. I think I like "Change" and "Easy" but every time I listen I still feel the disappointment that they're not like "Noises" or "Eighteen" and they're weighed down by that.

On 15/01/2021 at 18:51, metalman said:

I really like a whole load of Animal Collective stuff but I didn't particularly like that Centipede Hz one and lost track of everything that came after. Maybe I should give it a go, because the sort of thing you describe is exactly what I like about them. Centipede Hz was just a racket.

Oh you would love Painting With. Fun album that just embraces their silly side. 

• Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 16:13, RPS said:

Mine is definitely Tacocat. They are an indie/punk rock band from Seattle. They write 3 minute picture perfect pop punk tracks. Nothing groundbreaking, but no matter my mood or what I am currently obsessed with, I can always turn on Tacocat and smile. 

I used a "The Internet" by Tacocat in a short film I made once!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RPS said:

Link

https://fb.watch/36EKWnlHOg/

It will require a little context: It is a parody of Groundhog Day produced for a local festival/pagent competiton's fundraiser event.  I used the Tacocat song over my version of Phil stealing the groundhog.

FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake holds up with the exception of the terrible lyrics. Has to be one of the best produced albums of that decade. 

On 03/01/2021 at 21:38, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I dunno if y'all have seen "Bean Dad" on Twitter, but it's tweets by this guy where he bemoans how his young daughter came to him, hungry, with a can of beans, and he told her to open them with a can opener and cook them herself. Then she came back wanting to know how to use the can opener. It comes off as a lot of "old man yells about how the youth are spoiled", but we're talking about a young daughter (under 8, I wanna say she's 6?) so he comes off like a giant dickhead.

Anyway, "Bean Dad" is John Roderick, who was in Harvey Danger, as well as being the writer of the theme song for the podcast My Brother, My Brother And Me. Old tweets of his from 9-10 years ago also surfaced where he's making a lot of "edgy" jokes, anti-Semitic jokes, and generally just... being very awful. He's since deleted his Twitter and the McElroys have said that going forward MBMBAM won't be using his music anymore.

Woah. Weird as hell - I had heard about "bean dad" as a concept from... something recently but I hadn't looked into what it was for a while. MBMBAM has been using that song for years, it'll be weird to hear anything else with it. I mostly knew Roderick from his collaboration with Jonathan Coulton otherwise.