MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

On 31/01/2020 at 15:05, B-li Manning said:

I remember jumping for joy when I drafted a 98 potential third baseman.....only to realize I didn't put two and two together with his age and MLB ETA so I wound up with a 22 year old guy with like an abysmal 39 rating and realized if he developed he was gonna have a really short prime.

I always draft by MLB ETA. My franchise is never going to last that long anyways, so I only really want players that can play right away or have high enough potential that I can trade them for superstars.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Franchise notes from the Twitch stream:

Meat and potatoes of the mode remains unchanged as always...so that means some of the AI logic might still be wonky.  Also they still don't have rotating interleague schedules, so you'll continue to play the same division every year.  They continue to maintain that it will completely break their schedule coding and while I'm no expert it still seems odd to me since MLB has a very standard rotation they follow.

Real minor leaguers:
-Around 1,500 real life minor league players who haven't been in the big leagues yet have been added
-Nearly all of them have audio commentary, so there will be very few players that the commentary only addresses by number
-100 or so prospects got face scanned and mo-capped
-The OSFM team helped with identifying equipment and motions for the others

2020 rules changes are in:
--26 man rosters across all three levels in the minors (organizations still set at 90 players so it's three less in Single A)
-28 man MLB rosters in September
-13 man pitcher limit/14 in September
-The Shohei Ohtani two-way player rule has been added, you can theoretically create a pitcher that can also hit and won't count against the pitcher cap if you want
-August waiver trade period removed
-Three batter minimum

Team re-branding
-Each offseason you have the option to re-brand your team with a new name, city, logos etc...essentially the creation suite they already had in Diamond Dynasty
-Commentary will reference your re-branding, your first milestones as a new team, etc.
-There are 12 cities that have special commentary if you move there (they wouldn't say which ones but it's likely Montreal and the other often rumored big league cities)
-All 30 teams can be re-branded, so you can create a brand new fantasy league if you wanted
-Created teams will have only home and away jerseys, no alternates
-You can move your team to any stadium in the game but no new stadiums were added

So it sorta counts as a "relocation" mode but other than some commentary it feels more like a half-assed Diamond Dynasty port.  They added no new stadiums nor is there a feature to create even a generic one.  So if you move your team you have to play in a tiny minor league park, a historical stadium, or stay in a current stadium that will have the original team's branding plastered everywhere.  Kinda takes away the immersion.  Besides, you already had the option of playing your games at any other stadium anyway.

I can't see any stadium creator or any major franchise overhaul coming until PS5, it seems like they stretched out what they could really do on franchise long ago and Diamond Dynasty is clearly their priority just as Madden Ultimate Team is with EA...franchise gets pushed down the priority list because it doesn't generate year-round revenue.

That said, having so many authentic minor leaguers and real commentary is enough for me to pick this up eventually.  I know them being available day one is great so people can jump into franchise and not have to wait for rosters but unless something else blows me away I might hold off until the ASB price drop anyway.  We'll see.

• Like 2

Would have cool for there to be random stadiums.

A few years ago, my roommate and I had this long running Royals/Twins franchise. I would always play in the minor league stadium "Wagonman Stadium", which I would always joke was named after the legendary Joe Wagonman. I eventually re-named my best prospect Joe Wagonman Jr.. I imagine if I ever re-locate a team, that's where I'll be playing. 

The re-branding is the right idea, but not executed fully enough to excite me. When you re-brand, you only get a home and away jersey. I feel like you should be able to create one or two alternate uniforms for an existing team to keep things fresh for yourself. I mean, I really want to have the Jays with a black alternate again.

Division re-alignment is going to be necessary as well... and rotating interleague schedules need to happen sooner than later. They say it will break the game, but they could conceivably just create several schedules that rotate through the years.

Apparently, stadium branding remains when you re-brand, so if you want to move a team to a different city, but choose an existing ballpark, you'll have the original team's branding everywhere... or you can choose a generic stadium and have no branding anywhere. It's very rare that this happens, but NHL did it way better.

I am very happy that the Full Minors are there, and that the OSFM team helped work on that. It looks like the OSFM guys got a bit of an inside look at how the game calculates things too, because a lot of the guys that had A or B potential in their update last year have lower potentials in the official game. This should stop issues like most teams having several 90+ rated players when you get deeper into franchise, and having high rated guys like that sitting out as free agents because their ratings command huge price tags on contracts that no teams can afford.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The digital version here is cheaper than any physical copies I can find. Mind you, I'm too absorbed in my RTTS game from the previous edition to upgrade yet. I know you can import saves from old versions of the game, but I'd rather start a new career if I have to learn new game mechanics.

17 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The digital version here is cheaper than any physical copies I can find. Mind you, I'm too absorbed in my RTTS game from the previous edition to upgrade yet. I know you can import saves from old versions of the game, but I'd rather start a new career if I have to learn new game mechanics.

How much for us?

12 hours ago, Your Mom's Side Chick said:

I want to buy the new one just because there is nothing better to do but all the new stuff wont effect what I'm doing so I guess I'll just wait

Face scanned Tim Tebow?

• Like 1

Apparently all of the real minor leaguers having announcer audio was not accurate, as was the fact that all of the minor leaguers would be real...Single A is still populated with fake players, many of whom have A and B potential.

All of the real minor leaguers come equipped with just one minor league option year so as soon as you add them to your 40 you’re at risk of losing them right away.

And players who actually debuted in real life like Gavin Lux and AJ Puk aren’t in the game.

• Confused 1

The player option thing is particularly baffling because for a decade now they make 90% of the real life players have 3 minor league options regardless of what they have in real life.  People bring it up every year and SDS never ever fix it despite there being resources available to easily check this info.

Now they finally get real minor leaguers only to have the opposite effect.