MLB The Show - General Discussion

Meacon Keaton

3 minutes ago, SilentHitman said:

Have they made you switch positions yet? I want to get this and do an SP RTTS but I don't want to invest a bunch of time only to get switched to a closer permanently like the last time I tried to play.

Yes, but I got switched back to the starting rotation after like 10 games.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Toe said:

Can you say no to a position switch? I haven't played RTTS in a few years, but I remember that some positions were more frustrating to play than others.

You can, sometimes the gaffer still has you play it. If you go hard no they might have you ride the pine for a short while.

The start to the season for my Athletics has been hard to watch. A 6-5 record hides the fact that our pitching has been terrible. Our team ERA is over 6.50 and we always seem to be down by 4 after two innings. We've been able to claw our ways back in a few of these games, and we've already had three games end with walk-off hits or home runs. 

Matt Olson is on pace to hit 102 home runs, so that's nice.

• Like 1

On 07/04/2020 at 13:36, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Yes, but I got switched back to the starting rotation after like 10 games.

Lol. Nevermind. After 1 season with Houston, I got traded to the Yankees. The Astros loaded up on SP free agents (Syndergaard, Eduardo Rodgriguez and someone else I'm forgetting) and traded me. The Yankees moved me to the closer role because they have so many SPs. I told my agent I wanted to be a starter but 2 months into the season and nothing has been brought up about me moving back to the rotation.

Still playing MLB 19. I can't remember what year I'm in with my Pirates franchise at the moment, but I just finished a season where I was under .500 until the all-star break and then came back to win the division. The Blue Jays beat me in the World Series.

I get through my off-season, and my big addition is catcher Joey Bart, who is replacing Jorge Alfaro. Alfaro had good numbers at the plate in the past couple of years for me, but his WAR numbers were god awful, and the Marlins offered me Bart for a bunch of A prospects. I declined, but went back at them with Alfaro, an A prospect that won't pan out (27 years old, overall in the 60s and his highest stat was fielding at 60-something), and a B level prospect who is stuck behind three younger guys on the depth chart with better ratings both at the plate and in the field.

That deal saved me like $7 million. Bart had decent offensive numbers, but it was his fielding %, contract and WAR that attracted me.

I get to the start of the next season, I play through spring training to give guys a chance to steal a spot or see if there's anyone I should be worried about in terms of regression... I set my 25 man rosters... and I notice that I have 10 position players who want to be Stars. All five guys in my starting rotation want to be the Ace.

I have never been in this position before. I know that guys will have lower morale if they aren't in those spots, and that means I'm going to have a good chunk of my roster a little bit unhappy... but aside from the small morale hit, is there any reason why I should be concerned about this? I'm not really worried about the finances of it. A lot of my younger guys are on team friendly deals, whether they took a hit to get more years or I just took advantage of arbitration and renewable contracts... and part of the fun of playing as a team like Pittsburgh, for me, is constantly re-evaluating the finances and making corresponding roster moves to accommodate them.

I'm more just wondering, will my team's performance suffer for having all of my starters wanting to be stars or aces?

1 hour ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

Lol. Nevermind. After 1 season with Houston, I got traded to the Yankees. The Astros loaded up on SP free agents (Syndergaard, Eduardo Rodgriguez and someone else I'm forgetting) and traded me. The Yankees moved me to the closer role because they have so many SPs. I told my agent I wanted to be a starter but 2 months into the season and nothing has been brought up about me moving back to the rotation.

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Hope you’re happy with this misery Meacon

MCD may be the next unanimous Hall of Famer. Closer for the Yankees is the best job to have for it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

MCD may be the next unanimous Hall of Famer. Closer for the Yankees is the best job to have for it. 

I mean, I am killing it. 30 saves, a 1.95 ERA and we're only just past the All-Star Break. We're 13 games up on the 2nd place Red Sox, so we're coasting to the playoffs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I mean, I am killing it. 30 saves, a 1.95 ERA and we're only just past the All-Star Break. We're 13 games up on the 2nd place Red Sox, so we're coasting to the playoffs.

You’ve been corrupted

It's GhostMachine all over again. Lost another one to the Evil Empire.

I struggle with playing RTTS anymore because it's preordained that you'll change positions within a few months and there's never a guarantee you'll get to move back.  Last RTTS I moved from 3B to LF, finally got back to 3B only for them to move me to 1B and refuse to move me back even after I won ROTY.

22 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Still playing MLB 19. I can't remember what year I'm in with my Pirates franchise at the moment, but I just finished a season where I was under .500 until the all-star break and then came back to win the division. The Blue Jays beat me in the World Series.

I get through my off-season, and my big addition is catcher Joey Bart, who is replacing Jorge Alfaro. Alfaro had good numbers at the plate in the past couple of years for me, but his WAR numbers were god awful, and the Marlins offered me Bart for a bunch of A prospects. I declined, but went back at them with Alfaro, an A prospect that won't pan out (27 years old, overall in the 60s and his highest stat was fielding at 60-something), and a B level prospect who is stuck behind three younger guys on the depth chart with better ratings both at the plate and in the field.

That deal saved me like $7 million. Bart had decent offensive numbers, but it was his fielding %, contract and WAR that attracted me.

I get to the start of the next season, I play through spring training to give guys a chance to steal a spot or see if there's anyone I should be worried about in terms of regression... I set my 25 man rosters... and I notice that I have 10 position players who want to be Stars. All five guys in my starting rotation want to be the Ace.

I have never been in this position before. I know that guys will have lower morale if they aren't in those spots, and that means I'm going to have a good chunk of my roster a little bit unhappy... but aside from the small morale hit, is there any reason why I should be concerned about this? I'm not really worried about the finances of it. A lot of my younger guys are on team friendly deals, whether they took a hit to get more years or I just took advantage of arbitration and renewable contracts... and part of the fun of playing as a team like Pittsburgh, for me, is constantly re-evaluating the finances and making corresponding roster moves to accommodate them.

I'm more just wondering, will my team's performance suffer for having all of my starters wanting to be stars or aces?

I think it will bring down their overall by a point or two, but it shouldn't have too much of an effect. Did you give them that role when you gave them their contracts?

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I think it will bring down their overall by a point or two, but it shouldn't have too much of an effect. Did you give them that role when you gave them their contracts?

Aside from one guy, everyone else fell into it during a contract. I don't remove it when I re-sign people though.

4 hours ago, B-li Manning said:

I struggle with playing RTTS anymore because it's preordained that you'll change positions within a few months and there's never a guarantee you'll get to move back.  Last RTTS I moved from 3B to LF, finally got back to 3B only for them to move me to 1B and refuse to move me back even after I won ROTY.

So that always happens? I've only played it once and it quite annoyed me when I was moved. That's quite dumb.