Great British Bake Off

Liam

1 hour ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:
  Hide contents

I mean, Liam wasn't going to win but I really liked him. How has Kate made it this far?

Seriously!  For the last three weeks I've had my favorites eliminated and every time I keep thinking, "okay, they did kind of deserve to go but not with Kate still there!" 

I totally thought the final was going to come down to Steven vs Sophie (or Sophia I can never remember her name) vs Liam.  If Kate makes the finals, I riot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SheiLDa the She-Wolf said:

Hide contents

Seriously!  For the last three weeks I've had my favorites eliminated and every time I keep thinking, "okay, they did kind of deserve to go but not with Kate still there!" 

I totally thought the final was going to come down to Steven vs Sophie (or Sophia I can never remember her name) vs Liam.  If Kate makes the finals, I riot.

Spoiler

I figured Liam would leave at Final 4, with Sophie, Steven and Stacey being the Final 3. 

I agree, Kate can't be in the finals. 

17 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Episode 9 thoughts...

Hide contents

Kate slips through again! 

It's going to be quite the battle between Sophie and Steven. 

HOW DOES KATE KEEP MAKING IT THROUGH?!?!?!

I'm rooting for Sophie in the finals now.  She was like my fourth favorite a few weeks ago, but Kate keeps somehow getting through (honestly she was pretty good this week, but for the past three weeks I've thought she should be the one to leave).  If Kate manages to win, I'm gonna riot.

Steven is cool too.  I like that he's stumbled more and more, it would have been boring if he kept up being perfect the whole way through.

• Like 1

Finale spoilers:

Spoiler

Sophie! 

Steven kind of got progressively worse through out the whole series. I thought he would kill it in the finals, but he didn't do well. Kate was good this episode but I am so relieved she didn't end up winning. 

• 1 month later...

This week was Week 6 for the Great Canadian Baking Show (why not call it Bake Off!? <_<). 

Anyway, in case anybody is watching, thoughts below:

Spoiler

I really didn't like the hosts at first but the non-judge hosts have really grown on me. They are so cute.

Linda is the sweetest and just the best. James is annoying and terrible.

• 2 years later...

I haven't watched Bake Off in a few years but we sat down to watch the new series tonight and I was crying with laughter at the Showstoppers. Some of those celebrity cake busts were monstrosities. Poor Lupita Nyong'o.

Also, thank God the Upside Down cake sabotage was an accident that everyone moved on from quickly. Sura was in bits at causing that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adam said:

I haven't watched Bake Off in a few years but we sat down to watch the new series tonight and I was crying with laughter at the Showstoppers. Some of those celebrity cake busts were monstrosities. Poor Lupita Nyong'o.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The show itself has slowly gone downhill as the original personalities left and it went from a neat look at a fading artform to a way for people to try and kickstart their own baking careers given some of the success post-show of a number of early winners and contestants. They've done a good job deliberately selecting someone people with no chance of winning though, but it has really hurt the first half of the show lately as they weed themselves all out and we're left with the 5 or 6 people who are superior bakers.

Anyway in the US I believe we get episode 1 tomorrow on Netflix.

While I like my cooking competition shows to feature contestants who are all really good I think from a TV production standpoint they'd rather have unique personalities and skill gaps to really amplify how good the "good cooks" are.

Masterchef remains the gold standard for me. Iron Chef in its heyday was also great. Both have received subpar adaptations here in the US. We do really strong cooking shows but I don't like most of our competitive cooking shows, they're too "DRAMA~~!!" based.

Do not get me started on Iron Chef America. The original Japanese show worked great because the Iron Chefs had their own distinct styles and personalities, and Kaga acted like a boss and dressed like a pimp.

On the other hand, most of the Iron Chefs on the American version were so-so, and I am still to this day convinced that most of Bobby Flay's wins were due to favoritism. A couple of the newer ones should never have even been Iron Chefs. Plus `The Chairman' was never really allowed to make comments, while you could believe Kaga had a say in things on the original show as he commented and criticized all the time.

Master Chef AND Top Chef are the gold standards, but as far as MC is concerned, Claudia should not have made it to the finale, let alone won, the season she was on. EVERYTHING she did was Mexican cooking, while her opponent in the finale was more versatile. And this is coming from someone who loves Mexican food.

(Also, Food Network's "Next Food Network Star" is definitely rigged, and I hope they do not ever bring it back, unless Bobby and Giada are replaced. I think Alton Brown quit doing it because of the bs going on with it.

• 1 month later...