Goodreads Reading Challenge/General Bookery

Liam

44 minutes ago, Rich said:

@GA! the RSPCA shop down St Peters Av is pretty stonking for second hand books.

oooo shiny!

And, re: Armada, I knew the book was in trouble when the main character's mother is written as though she's a love interest. Don't think that was the intention of Mr Cline. Then it's almost immediately followed by a list of everything Ernest Cline liked between 1981 and 1988 (or some shit like that).

1 hour ago, GA! said:

oooo shiny!

And, re: Armada, I knew the book was in trouble when the main character's mother is written as though she's a love interest. Don't think that was the intention of Mr Cline. Then it's almost immediately followed by a list of everything Ernest Cline liked between 1981 and 1988 (or some shit like that).

It basically just becomes like a later episode of Family Guy, were rather than any semblance of real plot, it just relies on 'look at this reference'.

4 hours ago, Rich said:

I just finished my third book of the year, Ready Player One, great book, sci-fi & futuristic with a healthy sense of 80's nostalgia, loved it.

I have this on my Nook. I see so many people that like it.

1 hour ago, Liam said:

It basically just becomes like a later episode of Family Guy, were rather than any semblance of real plot, it just relies on 'look at this reference'.

Funnily enough, my original post (but I had to close the window because lol work) was going to make the same point with the same reference. Ready Player One is extremely enjoyable, but Armada makes me wonder if I'd enjoy RPO as much a second time - in the same way I don't like pre-cancellation Family Guy any more (when I used to think it was the funniest show ever) as I know how turgid it becomes.

Finished the Jonathan Maberry book, and am now on the 3rd Chet and Bernie book by Spencer Quinn. 

If you've ever wanted to read a series about a P.I. and his dog, where the dog is the main character, this series is for you. I even recommend it, if you haven't wanted to read a series like that.

• Like 1

Armada screams of an editor who failed to rein Ernest Cline in and/or misunderstood why RPO works. Cline also quickly gives up trying to describe anything, instead likening all people, emotions, objects, and situations to brand names he liked as a child. It's the worst case of fetishistic 80s nostalgia I've encountered... so far.

Edited by GA!