Benji

On 20/11/2017 at 09:53, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Launch game.

Create a Sim. 

She dies in a fire making scrambled eggs.

Quit the whole game.

An hour later, decide to try again.

Create a Sim.

Dies during first day in a fire making grilled cheese. 

Shut off computer. 

This was something I that aggravated me about Sims 2. You had to spend the first few hours of every game reading a cookbook so no one would die horribly trying to make toast.

I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon, and am thinking about playing The Sims again. The question is, which version? I've never played 3, but have heard conflicting things about it. Some people say it's terrible, others say it's the best of the series. I've played 4, and I like a lot of the quality-of-life and gameplay changes, but overall everything seems kinda dull compared to Sims 2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Takuan said:

This was something I that aggravated me about Sims 2. You had to spend the first few hours of every game reading a cookbook so no one would die horribly trying to make toast.

I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon, and am thinking about playing The Sims again. The question is, which version? I've never played 3, but have heard conflicting things about it. Some people say it's terrible, others say it's the best of the series. I've played 4, and I like a lot of the quality-of-life and gameplay changes, but overall everything seems kinda dull compared to Sims 2.

Depends on what you're looking for.

I would've suggested buying The Sims 2, then using the CD key with Origin's support to get a copy of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, but apparently it hasn't been possible to do that for a few months now. :(

Personally, liked TS3 when I played it on the 360 a while back. Haven't tried TS4.

TL;DR:

I'd personally suggest TS2.  Getting the full Sims 2 experience would now be ~$150 due to having to get physical copies.

I've enjoyed what I've played of 4. I'm actually playing it again now for the first time in a couple years. I'm not sure what people expect out of the game so it's always kind of hard to suggest. I kind of like being able to play it while I'm doing other stuff as well.

7 hours ago, Grandpa Winner said:

Depends on what you're looking for.

I would've suggested buying The Sims 2, then using the CD key with Origin's support to get a copy of The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, but apparently it hasn't been possible to do that for a few months now. :(

Personally, liked TS3 when I played it on the 360 a while back. Haven't tried TS4.

TL;DR:

I'd personally suggest TS2.  Getting the full Sims 2 experience would now be ~$150 due to having to get physical copies.

Or as an alternative, you could find someone who has the Ultimate Collection and use their account to sign in, download it and install it. I have the collection but have removed Origin from my PC and have zero issues.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rocky 2K19 said:

Sims 2 will always be my favourite. Never really got into it as much with 3 and, as a result, I’ve never tried 4.

That's the great dilemma for me. I adored Sims 2 with all the goofy things they threw into it, that helped make it feel so much more alive than The Sims. An actual story, lifespans, etc etc. The expansions only built on that so much more. Not to mention how great the career and lifetime rewards were. You had shit like the punching bag, the obstacle course, the lie-detector, and so on that were really funny to use. Hell, it was implied that the Slacker reward was basically someone growing pot, and if your Sim was lazy, they could piss in it! And then the lifetime shit - the thing that sucked skills out of people, the money tree, the money press, the smart milk...it was awesome. Toddlers had toys that would help boost their skills up. 

The things I like about the Sims 3 is mainly the create-a-style. I like that I can make all my furniture match, or come up with something cool on my own and not being set into default stuff that doesn't mesh well. The lifetime reward system is kind of neat as well, since you get stuff besides objects. Your Sim doesn't have to eat or sleep as much, etc. Life goes on in the neighborhood. In the Sims 2, you can spend your entire life as a shut-in, from the cradle to the grave, die of old age, while Alexander Goth never fucking ages a day. In Sims 3, people move out, die, get married, etc etc. That's appealing. 

ON THE OTHER HAND.....it can feel very dull at times. There's things I really dislike about the whole damn thing, like how if you go to a community lot, suddenly the entire fucking town floods in moments afterwards. One of the pics I took for my diary that I didn't use was this shot of that park with the SimFest, and people were just there screwing around. It was 1:30 PM on a Wednesday! Shouldn't the kids be in school?! Why aren't they at work?! And so on. It's also (still) buggy as hell. Worlds take forever to load. No Slacker career, no interesting career rewards...yeah...

The Sims 4 I really want to give a shot now that they have a few expansions out. I bought the game, and from what I saw of it, I saw a lot of potential for it to be worthy successor to The Sims 2 .

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dazed and ConFORKed said:

Well apparently I don't know how to play The Sims...I just had my baby taken for neglect. I didn't even realize I was neglecting him :( 

Well, I don't see it that way and I don't think the judge will either. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sims 3: Into the Future continues the trend of having insanely broken exploits...though I guess this is less of an exploit and more of a "Working as Intended". 

While I love the idea of having a Plumbot (I liked Servos,  and the Plumbots are great due to customizable traits), they threw in the one thing we would probably all do if we went into the future: Check lotto records. 

And so, what has this done: 

image.png

Well....there goes this challenge. 

1 hour ago, Mick said:

Sims 3: Into the Future continues the trend of having insanely broken exploits...though I guess this is less of an exploit and more of a "Working as Intended". 

While I love the idea of having a Plumbot (I liked Servos,  and the Plumbots are great due to customizable traits), they threw in the one thing we would probably all do if we went into the future: Check lotto records. 

And so, what has this done: 

image.png

Well....there goes this challenge. 

When Funhaus (at the time, Inside Gaming) played the game, they just went into the future and sold everything in the house of their future family before returning to the present.

7 hours ago, Sousa said:

"Ask Sim to Attend Class" me sending emails to my students with poor attendance

*Cancels "Go to Class" icon* 
*Clicks Computer*
*"Play Computer Game..."*
*"Play 'The Sims 3'"*

I think I may attempt another legacy, only this time one that's strictly the base game, no mods except the NRASS mods and a few fixes. And clothing options.

The reason is that all the expansions I'm familiar with (which is the say all but Seasons, Pets and the island one) just seem to add game breaking mechanics. World Adventures throws in Tiberium, which you can find in the trash. Ambitions, while one I love, has the consignment shop, allowing me to get TRIPLE the value for my wares, Late Night has the celebrity system, mean I g a bunch of free shit and discounts out the ass. Generations, another one I like, throws in not only the motive mobile, but the chemistry potions, so my sims can never and past young adult, and if they do, I can fix it for just five grand. Showtime has the Genie, Supernatural, aside from the occult forms which are OP to begin with, has Alchemy, and I can buy a Midas touched potion and exponentially increase my cash. University let's me clone things! Endless gems and metal! And into the future has not only the lotto thing (And let's be honest, anybody that says they wouldn't follow in Biff Tannen's footsteps is full of shit), but also the Plumbbots. 

The Plumbots are fucking cool, though, but with the right combination of trait chips, the damn thing becomes an emotionless, literal money making machine, be it via job or having it learn a profitable skill. 

So yeah. Base game limits the game breaking, sadly. I suppose I could include Ambitions and just delete the consignment shop...

I mean...yeah, Sims 2 had some game breaking things (like Bigfoot, but I admit I only got the Bigfoot to throw him in the Political career.  How awesome would it be to see a sasquatch cone out in those black judge robes, saying ever so eloquently  'I have examined the facts of this case, and I find that the legal precedent [etc]'?), but it wasn't that much of a gamebreaker.

• Like 1

So this thread made me go back to my old old Sims 2 play Pleasantview like a soap game.

Don Lothario has a kid, and three women are pregnant with his kids at the same time. 

Then he fucking gets abducted by aliens ffs. For real, I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen that happen before in all the years I’ve played this game. This fucking game.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Then he fucking gets abducted by aliens ffs. For real, I don’t think I’ve ever actually seen that happen before in all the years I’ve played this game. This fucking game.

You ever messed around in Strangetown with the Curious brothers?