FOX's X-Men Film & TV Universe Thread

DFF

With the amount of films and TV shows in FOX's universe seemingly expanding, I thought there was a strong enough argument for that universe to have it's own thread for discussion.

For those wondering, in addition to the all the X-Men films already out, we've still got Deadpool 2, X-Force, Gambit and The New Mutants, plus whatever is the next film in the main franchise.

On the TV front, Legion has been killing it (can't wait to see how that gets wrapped up) and we've now been told that the other TV series is titled Gifted.

Confirmed so far for Gifted:

Stephen Moyer, Amy Acker, Jaime Chung, Sean Teale, Natalie Alyn Lind, Emma Dumont, Percy Hynes and Coby Bell.

• Like 1

I hope that Fox gives it some time before they reboot the main franchise and re-cast all the big names such as Logan, Xavier and Magneto. And I also hope that Bryan Singer will not be involved in the main franchise anymore. Apocalypse was terrible and although everyone else seems to like Days Of Future Past I simply couldn't get into it. Best case would be of they somehow convinced Matthew Vaughn to return to the franchise.

And if i had to rank all the movies:

1. First Class
  2. Logan
  3. Deadpool
  4. X-2
  5. X-Men
  6. The Wolverine
  7. Days Of Future Past
  8. Last Stand
  9. Apocalypse
  10. Origins: Wolverine

I never understood the love for Days of Future Past.  Same boring Singer shit, same boring can't trust Magneto shit, same awful looking wire work that films moved away from over a decade ago.  I swear one of my least favorite things about the X-Men movies is when Wolverine dives at someone, looks terrible.

Really random question that I've failed miserably to Google, last week's Legion closed with a cover of Bowie's Oh You Pretty Things which refers to homo superior. Is that an X-men reference or a coincidence? Always wondered...

5 minutes ago, Colly said:

Really random question that I've failed miserably to Google, last week's Legion closed with a cover of Bowie's Oh You Pretty Things which refers to homo superior. Is that an X-men reference or a coincidence? Always wondered...

Looked it up. Roger Price said in an interview that he thinks that line was because of a conversation he had with Bowie before the Tomorrow People aired, about the concept of the ubermensch / super man / homo superior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

I never understood the love for Days of Future Past.  Same boring Singer shit, same boring can't trust Magneto shit, same awful looking wire work that films moved away from over a decade ago.  I swear one of my least favorite things about the X-Men movies is when Wolverine dives at someone, looks terrible.

It's a tad overrated but it's not bad. Does not hold a candle to First Class in terms of full-team X-Men movies, though.

I do agree that Singer should be done with the franchise though, he's overstayed his welcome by a lot.

It's not that "Days Of Future Past" is downright awful. It's okay. If you have 2 hours to waste you could do a lot worse. But it came after what I would consider to be one of the best superhero movies of all time. I hoped that after what Vaughn did with First Class Singer would step up his game but he didn't. As Maxx said, "Days Of Future Past" was just more of the same. I also hated the the premise of "Days Of Future Past" was pretty much to undo everything that Vaughn had build with "First Class" and restore the status quo of the Singer movies. That was just petty.

Really didn't know what to expect going in to Legion and honestly it has been excellent. I love how every episode has a slightly (or completely) different feel than the last one. Considering they took a relatively minor character who hasn't really done anything in about 20 years and made such a freakishly fascinating series it's pretty impressive.

As a whole i've grown tired of the X-films because it tends to boil down to 'Magneto goes off the deep end and does unspeakable evil things, but the heroes get through to him to team up against the bigger bad to save the world, again.'

At least, that's the gist of the retconniverse's plot.

Edited by Jasonmufc

Honestly, I didn't think there was anything special about First Class at all. Maybe I'm alone in that, I dunno. I don't think it's particularly any better or any worse than Days of Future Past.

The fact that DoFP just offhandedly kills off 80% of the First Class characters was pretty maddening, though.

• Like 1

I really am annoyed that they have gone through the motions of retconning the entire universe and starting fresh in a world of the 60s... Only to return right back to the same characters, with only the actors being different.

With First Class being what it is, it gave me more hope that they'd diversify the cast more. Add a few token names like Beast and Mystique, but add new faces in it like Havok and Banshee who add different mutant powers and differing personalities.

Two films onward, they've gone a full 'lol, nope'. Banshee is killed off-screen in DOFP, Havok goes boom in Apoc (in a bitch way to boot). And now the main story revolves once more around Cyclops and Jean Grey, with Beast, Storm, Mystique, Nightcrawler, Angel as the supporting cast. With Quicksilver being the only 'new' face in the main cast compared to the first trilogy. And Psylocke being a question mark regarding what they'll do with her character.

It's just frustrating to watch, and extremely lazy writing, because there are so many notable and interesting mutants you can throw into the series, but they've just gone right back to the frustratingly boring Cyclops/Jean romance, and Jean being the same old 'last minute nuke' she's always has been.

What's the fucking point of making a huge retcon, and then just doing the same fucking thing you did in the first place?

The more shit changed, the more everything has stayed the same.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

What's the fucking point of making a huge retcon, and then just doing the same fucking thing you did in the first place?

So Singer can go and say:"Look, I did Phoenix better than the other guy".....

About the movies I don't know what is the big deal about DOFP, is a movie with a dumb plot and too much plotholes (I can tolerate a few). Why did they have to get Magneto to help? How do the military capture magneto in the firts place?, Why din't the mutant of the future move every few days,instead of waiting to get found?.

Also the love for Quicksilver? Do the same scene with any other "I'm fast" hero and it's the same scene. And the scene at the end killed any suspence for any future movies, since you know every is alive and happy in the 2020's.

First Class is a good movie, but the moment Logan did a cameo, went back to the same continuity (if you can call that mess a continuity), specially with them trying to connect everything like a shared universe, should have been a reboot.

Apocalypse was just a boring movie, where the bad guy din't do anything evil until the end (the mansion was destroyed because of Havoc's stupid actions, He save those factory workers from a lot of suffering), and We already know that everything was going to be okay.

But, what get me the most is the Fact that at the end of the five X-Men movies, Magneto end's up as the big bad guy, and in Four he just walks away.....

Also The Last stand could have been a decent to good movie, but I think they forced the Phoenix storyline into it.

Edited by angeluzcr

Personally, I haven't watched the original trilogy for a while. I recall enjoying the first two, and thinking the third was distinctly sub-par. In a way, the retconverse (is that what we're calling them? Maybe First class-verse? I dunno) follows a similar pattern - I enjoyed First Class (DOFP even more), but Apocalypse was a let down.

As for the whole run, my order of preference is probably something like:

1. Logan (maybe - I need time to digest it / re-watch it)
2. Days of Future Past
3. Deadpool
4. X-2
5. First Class
6. X-1
7. The Wolverine
8. Apocalypse
9. Wolverine: Origins
10. The Last Stand

I've had a quick look at what we know about each film, as it stands (info lifted mostly from Wiki, but with a bit of digging too):

X-Force

Spoiler

Mark Millar has said it will focus of a 5-character team, and we know that Deadpool is meant to be involved in some way (thanks to Ryan Reynolds). Reynolds is co-writing the film with director Joe Carnahan. Looks like Carnahan's biggest films have been Smokin' Aces, The A-Team and The Grey - all of which he either wrote or co-wrote whilst also directing. Lauren Shuler Donner will produce.

Gambit

Spoiler

This one has had a few issues. Channing Tatum is still down to star in the lead role, and he'll be one of the four producers (along with Lauren Shuler Donner, Simon Kinberg and Rein Carolin). The director has changed a number of times, and the latest rumour is that Frank Darabont will do it. Filming isn't due to start for another year (Spring '18).

New Mutants

Spoiler

Josh Boone (The Fault In Our Stars) is directing, as well as sharing co-writing duties with Knate Gwaltney. Scott Neustadter, Michael H. Weber (both (500) Days of Summer, The Fault In Our Stars), Lauren Shuler Donner and Simon Kinberg are producing. No casting confirmed yet.

Deadpool 2

Spoiler

The main change for this is that David Leitch (uncredited co-director of John Wick) has replaced Tim Miller as director, and the main cast addition confirmation is Zazie Beetz (Atlanta) is playing Domino. We also know that Cable will be in the film in some form.

I've honestly only liked First Class, The Wolverine and Logan. Everything else in this series has been pretty terrible to me. Days of Future Past was a huge disappointment, and I didn't even know Apocalypse came out till like 2 months after it's cinema run had ended. 

I really need to start watching Legion, though. 

I hope not. He's an ace character and - I can't believe I'm saying this - I actually want to see how Tatum plays him. Apparently he can do the accent, which is a good start. :shifty:

• 5 weeks later...

New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and Dark Phoenix all have had release dates confirmed.

Anyone got any info on the DF film? It's the first I've properly heard of it, I think.

In other news, I finished Legion tonight. Absolutely loved it, particularly the brilliant pemultimate episode.