Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

But you don't have to sell your squad to do that anymore, incomes are high enough so that the 'gambles' don't have to be as much of a gamble anymore. I'd very much struggle to explain what happened to Leicester last season but I can't believe that selling Vardy and Mahrez would've improved their season in any way. Again look to Tottenham, they did their big sale in Bale but made a right mess of reinvesting (for the most part). Under a good manager (poor Southampton again...) they've brought through a good young side with some decent signings particularly at the back, and haven't even been affected by the fact they spunked £30m on utter shite. Barring a ludicrous offer hanging onto players is far more useful than whatever they'd get to 'reinvest'.

I don't buy this glass ceiling either really, there's a few teams who will always be there or thereabouts but we've seen the likes of Liverpool and Spurs in the top 4 last season, and while that gap to Everton was massive this year that doesn't happen every season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

Jose Mourinho is a dodgy bastard too, potentially, with a Spanish prosecutor filing a claim against him for suspected tax fraud. 

I can't see any reason why this wouldn't have everything to do with Jorge Mendes. He's Ronaldo's agent as well as Mourinho, is it a coincidence they've both been accused of tax fraud in the same place, in the same week?

Very glad I'm not a Wolves fan.

On 16/06/2017 at 12:58, Colly said:

But you don't have to sell your squad to do that anymore, incomes are high enough so that the 'gambles' don't have to be as much of a gamble anymore. I'd very much struggle to explain what happened to Leicester last season but I can't believe that selling Vardy and Mahrez would've improved their season in any way. Again look to Tottenham, they did their big sale in Bale but made a right mess of reinvesting (for the most part). Under a good manager (poor Southampton again...) they've brought through a good young side with some decent signings particularly at the back, and haven't even been affected by the fact they spunked £30m on utter shite. Barring a ludicrous offer hanging onto players is far more useful than whatever they'd get to 'reinvest'.

I don't buy this glass ceiling either really, there's a few teams who will always be there or thereabouts but we've seen the likes of Liverpool and Spurs in the top 4 last season, and while that gap to Everton was massive this year that doesn't happen every season.

Yeah the glass ceiling argument is pure ignorance. With the amount of money in the game, all bets are off. Saying that mid range sides should know their place and constantly sell just because bigger teams want to buy is pretty disrespectful imo.

• Like 1

My best mate is a Wolves fan, and he can't see the woods for the trees about their ownership and boardroom dealings.

And if teams should just accept their positioning when it comes to their standings and wealth, then Liverpool should never have tried to get not the CL as it is above their station with both Manchester clubs, Arsenal and Chelsea being richer than them. It is a silly argument, and with the new found wealth in the PL it is an even sillier argument.

• Like 5

This is still sillier:

On 05/12/2013 at 13:14, Nerf said:

Plus the fact that there's really not much difference in the competion between the Championship and League 2. Literally anything can happen in the lower leagues, as evidenced by Wolves and Blackburn this season, and Southampton's back-to-back promotions.

Sorry Nerf...

• Like 2

Can't find an article confirming when, but Sky are planning on ditching their numbered sports channels, instead dedicating each one to a specific sport and allowing people to subscribe to them separately. I'm in favour of this! 

There's gonna be one called Sky Sports Arena for Tennis and Rugby (I think). I just wonder where the WWE stuff will end up, as the Arena channel and one for Cricket, as well as F1 are channels I could go without quite easily.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baddar said:

Can't find an article confirming when, but Sky are planning on ditching their numbered sports channels, instead dedicating each one to a specific sport and allowing people to subscribe to them separately. I'm in favour of this! 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

Sky is scrapping its numbered sports channels and replacing them with themed offerings focused on specific sports – led by football, golf and cricket – as it combats falling viewer numbers with a branding revamp and a cheaper viewing package.

The retirement of Sky Sports 1,2,3,4 and 5 and the introduction of a new package two-thirds cheaper than current prices represents a major shakeup of the strategy that has made Rupert Murdoch’s Sky a pay-TV powerhouse.

The new offering will result in the launch of themed channels, like Sky’s existing dedicated Formula One channel, for its top-flight sports including football – which will get two channels – golf and cricket. A new channel, Sky Sports Arena, will host other content including rugby and tennis.

A key part of the strategy is that it will let Sky entice new pay-TV subscribers reluctant to fork out up to £49.50 for its cheapest sports package. The new strategy will allow Sky to charge £18 for its cheapest package – although the whole Sky Sports bundle will remain a costly option.

I did read that there'd be two channels dedicated to football, so I suspect that might be separate purchases. Hope not, but then I also hope they don't charge a ridiculous amount for the football as a hook. "Get the football package for £40 a month but have the whole lot for £50!" would annoy me.

6 minutes ago, Baddar said:

I did read that there'd be two channels dedicated to football, so I suspect that might be separate purchases. Hope not, but then I also hope they don't charge a ridiculous amount for the football as a hook. "Get the football package for £40 a month but have the whole lot for £50!" would annoy me.

Given that it's by far their biggest outlay for broadcasting rights, I'd say that's exactly what will happen.

• Like 1