Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

Spoiler

There's no way they're going to do alternate timelines and all that bullshit. It's confusing and the MCU is such a huge hit with everybody that creating different timelines would just mess with people who already have a hard enough time keeping up with everything. Plus, why create different timelines. Didn't work out so well for the X-Men franchise. 

If there are going to be separate timelines, it might be on the Disney+ shows. 

1 minute ago, Benjamin said:
  Hide contents

There's no way they're going to do alternate timelines and all that bullshit. It's confusing and the MCU is such a huge hit with everybody that creating different timelines would just mess with people who already have a hard enough time keeping up with everything. Plus, why create different timelines. Didn't work out so well for the X-Men franchise. 

If there are going to be separate timelines, it might be on the Disney+ shows. 

Spoiler

The directors  beg to differ

So, has Cap been living in the past this whole time — or did he go and live in another dimension?

The directors say it’s the latter.

“If Cap were to go back into the past and live there, he would create a branched reality,” Joe explained. “The question then becomes, how is he back in this reality to give the shield away?”

The brothers smile.

“Interesting question, right?” Joe said. “Maybe there’s a story there. There’s a lot of layers built into this movie and we spent three years thinking through it, so it’s fun to talk about it and hopefully fill in holes for people so they understand what we’re thinking.”

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/avengers-endgame-russo-brothers-captain-america/?fbclid=IwAR3JegE1HDpnjYIi9-RQs9xDnzEYM-6eZ7gvMpGtc9tyL-Nt6U010-dtfuo

44 minutes ago, iDOL said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Boo on the soul stone being returned for nothing in exchange 😕

Spoiler

Or did they?

There was a bit of a Chekhov's Gun at the end of the film when they went to Star Lord looking at a picture of (OG) Gamora and her being missing. And I feel they would only ever show such a thing (see the wiki) if it actually had a purpose of being there.

I feel in the next Guardians film they're definitely going to explore that the original Gamora is somehow alive after Hulk's Snap, or possibly after the returning of the other soul stone. Or perhaps that Nat got traded back for said stone that she sacrificed herself to get.

Again, that's just me going off an inordinate amount of TVTropes browsing, I just feel that they wouldn't have showed a picture of OG Gamora being missing (And Quill quickly hiding the screen when the others walk in) if they're not going to do something with that herring. Because Marvel is smart enough to know that such details are going to get disseminated, and I honestly believe they wouldn't add in such a pertinant little detail just to pull people's chains.

If original Gamora is somehow alive after being sacrificed on Vormir, then logic should dictate that Nat should be alive or could be revived once more.

Edited by Jasonmufc

2 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:
  Hide contents

Or did they?

There was a bit of a Chekhov's Gun at the end of the film when they went to Star Lord looking at a picture of (OG) Gamora and her being missing. And I feel they would only ever show such a thing (see the wiki) if it actually had a purpose of being there.

I feel in the next Guardians film they're definitely going to explore that the original Gamora is somehow alive after Hulk's Snap, or possibly after the returning of the other soul stone. Or perhaps that Nat got traded back for said stone that she sacrificed herself to get.

Again, that's just me going off an inordinate amount of TVTropes browsing, I just feel that they wouldn't have showed a picture of OG Gamora being missing (And Quill quickly hiding the screen when the others walk in) if they're not going to do something with that herring. Because Marvel is smart enough to know that such details are going to get disseminated, and I honestly believe they wouldn't add in such a pertinant little detail just to pull people's chains.

If original Gamora is somehow alive after being sacrificed on Vormir, then logic should dictate that Nat should be alive or could be revived once more.

See, and I took that more to mean that

Star-Lord and the Guardians are looking for 2014 Gamora, who knows about the relationship that she had with them in the future, but is still very much the hardened bad ass that we met in the first movie, before Quill seduced her with his a-grade musical selection and talk of painting the ship with jizz.

I don't think the original Gamora or Black Widow are coming back. There needs to be some finality to an event this large for fans to not feel cheated in some way, and the inclusion of the divergent timelines and 2014 Gamora now being stuck in 2023 is their way of continuing to utilize these characters while maintaining the emotional climax of their sacrifices.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

See, and I took that more to mean that

Reveal hidden contents

Star-Lord and the Guardians are looking for 2014 Gamora, who knows about the relationship that she had with them in the future, but is still very much the hardened bad ass that we met in the first movie, before Quill seduced her with his a-grade musical selection and talk of painting the ship with jizz.

I don't think the original Gamora or Black Widow are coming back. There needs to be some finality to an event this large for fans to not feel cheated in some way, and the inclusion of the divergent timelines and 2014 Gamora now being stuck in 2023 is their way of continuing to utilize these characters while maintaining the emotional climax of their sacrifices.

Spoiler

Right I just think it's a setup for Vol. 3 which will deal with them trying to find her. 

23 minutes ago, livid said:

Hide contents

Right I just think it's a setup for Vol. 3 which will deal with them trying to find her. 

Spoiler

With a major part of the plot being 2014 Gamora being more attracted to Thor than Starlord.

Honestly it could be a good twist, Thor saves her life instead so things never go back to “normal”

So this was by far my favorite of the Avengers films. I usually don't particularly like them, generally because 40+ minutes of buildings exploding and whatnot bores me to tears... But man, 7 years later and they've finally figured out how to make an Avengers movie that's interesting from start to finish. 

In terms of the future...

Spoiler

I have to suspect that Black Widow solo film will be an origin type of film, prequel. She was a spy, there's enough stories to tell without needing to rely on the existing plots. Kudos to them for building her up to a character that CAN carry a film (potential franchise)... she wasn't that character years ago. Ditto goes for Hawkeye, they finally made him feel important vs just another part of the big group. 

Gamora as well, I took that as they were looking for 2014 Gamora, not the 2018 one. She's dead and gone permanently. I'm enjoying the prospect of Thor being included in the next Guardians of the Galaxy. That should be a fun fit. 

One one hand I'd love to see more of Captain America and Peggy in this new timeline, even as a series (continuation of Agent Carter perhaps..... on Disney+..), though I suspect that  Steve Rogers is as of now a retired character. Though gimme more of Yvette Nicole Brown! A series about them in the 1970s with Brown as a central character adjacent to Carter, yes please. 

Loki's series will undoubtedly be part of that altered timeline. Though I can't say I care much about it, because I think they've done a lot with that character and don't see the need for more stories to tell... but I wish them luck. 

Great catch to whoever mentioned the Namor thing with relating to the Earthquakes. It's very possible that Black Panther 2 is centered on that conflict, and bringing Namor into the fold. 

I'd love to see them do more with Valkyrie as the new King of Asgaard. A solo film would be welcome. 

I suspect Pepper is all but retired as well, though I could envision both she and Happy Hogan making appearances with Spider-Man franchise. 

Here's hoping the next phase introduces The X-Men. I'd love to see them interact with the heroes already established here. 

Anyways, if anything this movie has convinced me to go back and watch the timeline... I've only seen Iron Man 3, Black Panther, the Avenger Films, Civil War (which i thought was an Avenger Film) and the two Guardian Films. 

On 03/05/2019 at 00:19, Azazel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

The major plot twist will be that she chooses the tree instead

lol

Spoiler

hjgn4wg2m0w21.jpg

• Haha 1

I emotionally checked out of MCU a long time ago as the structure and stakes of each film got too samey, but I really enjoyed End Game and even got teary eyed in the right places. I imagine for a diehard fan this was a near perfect film for them. I'll see what the next phase has to offer. Also...

Spoiler

Probably should've watched Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp beforehand. <_< 

$2.1 billion dollars in its first 11 days, making it already the biggest grossing Marvel film ever.

It's also reached the $2 billion mark quicker than any other film, beating previous record-holder Avatar by 36 days.

8 minutes ago, Ms. Canadian Destroyer said:

Avatar is such a weird film to hold the box office record. I remember it being visually stunning but it's weird that it's not really stuck in the cultural zeitgeist. 

It was a visually amazing movie to look at, but there was absolutely no substance beyond that, so it really doesn't surprise me how little it gets spoken about this many years later.

There was like a one-year window where Avatar was inescapable, first as like a zeitgeist "you have to watch this movie" thing and then as a thing that everyone and their mother parodied, in part because once that excitement about the visuals faded a little people started taking potshots at the actual plot. But yeah, it left absolutely no cultural footprint and I'm kind of interested to see how the sequels do if/when they ever come out.

• Like 1

Wasn't Avatar's release right at the moment when 3D was being brought back into cinemas (and as such, was proportionally extra-expensive) and it became the whole "OMG 3D IS ACTUALLY GREAT THIS TIME ROUND, YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS FILM IN 3D" torchbearer? That extra margin on ticket prices had to have boosted the box office something substantial.

• Like 1