Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

I really really liked Ragnarok, it was exactly what Thor should be but I'm maybe a bit weird saying this, I think they're going a wee bit overboard with the humour. It was very funny, very much like GotG which absolutely isn't a bad thing, but there were a few occasions where it felt like they sucked a bit of the drama or impact out of a scene or a moment for the sake of another bit of slapstick. It's the only fault I can really find and even then the jokes are still funny.

By far the best Thor film, and possibly top 3 MCU overall.

I have had really good times watching MCU films in IMAX 3D. Guardians of the Galaxy blew my mind in IMAX 3D, it was incredible and just so built for it. Age of Ultron, GotG 2 and Homecoming were the other ones, I think, couldn't complain about any one of those. I think Ragnarok might be good in it as well.

If you wear glasses, put on contacts, though, because that's just annoying.

28 minutes ago, Benjamin said:

I have had really good times watching MCU films in IMAX 3D. Guardians of the Galaxy blew my mind in IMAX 3D, it was incredible and just so built for it. Age of Ultron, GotG 2 and Homecoming were the other ones, I think, couldn't complain about any one of those. I think Ragnarok might be good in it as well.

If you wear glasses, put on contacts, though, because that's just annoying.

Yeah i'm using contacts, i've only seen one film with glasses (Pacific Rim, still fucking awesome), and I just resigned to breaking off the legs of the 3D glasses and holding it in front of my ordinary glasses for the duration of the film.

It's just a tad annoying that 3D is the only thing on offer, unless you go at an ungodly hour of say, 10 in the morning. The place got 8 viewing areas with more than enough space, they could probably easily run 2D versions at better times. But hey, i'll survive and I will undoubtedly get the film on home video for my collection anyways, so i'll see it in 2D and see what I missed at a later stage.

Thor was really really good. Obviously the best of the Thor films, though I feel like the first gets unfairly lumped in with the second and that the second isn't nearly as bad as its reputation. I have quibbles, though!

Spoiler

firstly, man, for a movie that didn't feel like it needed to overexplain things or deliver a lot of exposition (see: rightly assuming the audience will immediately recognize why Loki reacts to Hulk's first appearance the way he does. And they were right! Every single Loki reaction in the Thor/Hulk fight absolutely killed at the showing I saw), it really hammered the "Asgard is where the Asgardians are rather than the kingdom itself" thing right into the ground.

also as The Warriors Three Liker, killing off Volstagg and Fandral that unceremoniously bummed me out. At least Hogun got to do something.

Thor was absolutely brilliant, just a train of fun from start to finish, didn't take itself overly serious and 'deep' anymore and revelled in its preposterousness... Some issues, though.

Like GoGo said, was brilliant that they didn't overcomplicate or put too much effort into exposition. Moviegoers are connected with the characters, and all beats based upon past events were brilliant. Hiddlestone was a delight, Banter between Thor/HulkBanner was brilliant. As a whole, Thor was a delight and Chris really got the chance to show off his comedic timing.

Also dissapointed that the Warrior Three got wiped in seconds, I know it was to establish Hela as an unstoppable force, but I felt they deserved more, at least some interaction. Sif was missed to, but since Alexander has her own series, it's understandable that she wasn't around. Also, Matt Damon, Luke Hemsworth, and Sam Neill playing the actors in the early Asgard scene was amazing.

Fucking Korg, fucking legend. Skurge, what a knobhead with his dual M16's. Tessa was great as Valkyrie, and went against expectations in the best way. 

Jeff Goldblum was a delight, also blew away my expectations. He just owned every scene, and was unique in the best of ways. 

Also glad to see Heimdall get the chance to show himself rather than be the stoic gatekeeper.

Finally a few bad notes, I felt. The Strange cameo just didn't do it for me, Cumberbatch has a tough time really doing (physical) comedy and Chris carried those scenes.

Also, due to the very whimsical nature of the film, the death scene of Odin felt like a complete afterthought and merely a quick and dirty plot device for that sagely advice that would save the day. I really really wished they had given it more build up, more emotion, and generally just more time. It basically was written in five minutes, and it felt dissapointing.

It was obvious that Waititi didn't want to make things too heavy in such a lighthearted film, but the end of Odin was a very notable scene where they didn't deliver nearly enough. 

All in all though, the film was a blast from start to finish. And even with those mistakes this is easily the most fun MCU film they've made since GOTG, better i'd hazard, because of the way they played off established history in this one.

EDIT:

Also to go back to Tessa Thompson's portrayal of Valkyrie. I'd go as far as say that she is the best female hero in media. Because she's not just a pretty face and a gigantic asskicker, but she's flawed and not the shining beacon of goodness that many heroines are portrayed as. She's just as flawed as the guys, she drinks heavily and she snarks with no remorse. Other than the few moment of 'tension' between Valkyrie and Thor, Valkyrie doesn't feel like a 'girl', she's just an asskicker who gets dirty as much as the boys.

You can say the same about Natasha in a way, but she's still 'protected' in a way. Where they show very little in the ways of flaws, and only talk of em them rather than show them. Whereas Valkyrie immediately debuts as both flawed and an asskicker from her very first moments on screen.

Edited by Jasonmufc
  • Like 2

It's making the rounds that, while the two sides haven't spoke in a few weeks, 20th Century Fox and Disney have met a few times in the past couple of months to discuss Fox selling the film rights of X-Men. I think most people are assuming their contract with the production company Constantin Film would revert to Disney too, because Constantin own the rights to make movies with the Fantastic Four characters. This is reportedly because Fox wants to focus on their news and sports divisions going forward in the future.

Kang making his debut at the end of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 to warn them about the transformation of Adam Warlock into Magus would be both amazing and surreal.

Edited by tristy

Ragnarock was amazing, That is all.

With regards to the Disney/Fox deal, give me a properly done MCU Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer/Doctor Doom/etc. film before we convolute everything by adding the X-Men please. X-Men/Deadpool are doing perfectly fine in their own little R-Rated universe, they don't need to shove the two together. By all means add a few cast-off characters, and who knows what they've got planned for after Avengers 4, but the Fantastic Four reboot was shit by all accounts so if Marvel can pull a save like they did with Spiderman it'd be great.

Speaking of Phase 4, what are we thinking gets included? I can see it being a sequel-heavy Phase before another few get added in Phase 5. GOTG3 and Spiderman 2 are more or less confirmed, and I can see Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Ant-Man maybe getting another film each. Probably another one as well so there's six before the next Avengers, maybe Thor 4?

Nah I disagree, I'd kill to have seen Wolverine and pals joining the Avengers and GotG. But it will pain me if they go ahead and introduce the X Men into the MCU after Jackman has gone and retired from the role so bleh.

3 hours ago, Jericode said:

Ragnarock was amazing, That is all.

With regards to the Disney/Fox deal, give me a properly done MCU Fantastic Four/Silver Surfer/Doctor Doom/etc. film before we convolute everything by adding the X-Men please. X-Men/Deadpool are doing perfectly fine in their own little R-Rated universe, they don't need to shove the two together. By all means add a few cast-off characters, and who knows what they've got planned for after Avengers 4, but the Fantastic Four reboot was shit by all accounts so if Marvel can pull a save like they did with Spiderman it'd be great.

Speaking of Phase 4, what are we thinking gets included? I can see it being a sequel-heavy Phase before another few get added in Phase 5. GOTG3 and Spiderman 2 are more or less confirmed, and I can see Doctor Strange, Black Panther and Ant-Man maybe getting another film each. Probably another one as well so there's six before the next Avengers, maybe Thor 4?

Probably another Black Panther, Ant-Man and Captain Marvel film as well sometime after Phase Three. I don't see them needing to explore Doctor Strange any more as much,  but I could be wrong as they seem very high on Cumberbatch as Strange and seem intent on giving him a sequel as well.

I won't lie, I'd love to see Valkyrie get her own film, but it will never ever happen.

Feige is open to the idea of an all-female superhero team up movie with Black Widow, Gamora, Captain Marvel, Nebula, Mantis and Valkyrie. They all pitched it to him and he was interested.

Also, Doctor Strange is going to be the new Tony Stark when it comes to the next phase of this universe. It'll be him and Captain Marvel, and probably Black Panther. That's the new trio to replace Iron Man, Thor and Captain America.