Marvel Cinematic Universe Movie Thread

Hellraiser

42 minutes ago, Ruki Returns said:

Really dug The Eternals. The god like being thing was something else.

Hide contents

But how is Thanos' brother an Eternal? Was Thanos an Eternal?

Also, who/what is Kit Harrington? And who was the voice at the end

Spoiler

Thanos is an Eternal, yes. He and Eros were born on Titan, sons to Eternals who settled there.

As for Kit Harrington, he's Dane Whitman AKA Black Knight. 

Chloe Zhao confirmed that the voice at the end who talks to Dane is Blade.

Speaking of Eternals, first certified rotten Marvel movie on Rotten Tomatoes. Sitting at a 51% critic score (86% audience score, though).

1 hour ago, Ruki Returns said:

Really dug The Eternals. The god like being thing was something else.

Hide contents

But how is Thanos' brother an Eternal? Was Thanos an Eternal?

Also, who/what is Kit Harrington? And who was the voice at the end

Cloudy answered you, but I'll go into a little more detail about your first question..

Spoiler

Yeah, they're both Eternals, but Thanos has the Deviant gene which is why he looks the way he does.

• Like 1

Yeah I don’t see why it was getting so much hate, outside of being too long.

Spoiler

The whole Deviant that’s evolving could have been dropped, considering it ultimately had very little impact on things 

My major take away from the ending was

Spoiler

lol we’ve covered so much Marvel ground that now it’s time to get excited for Black Knight?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Maxx said:

Yeah I don’t see why it was getting so much hate, outside of being too long.

Hide contents

The whole Deviant that’s evolving could have been dropped, considering it ultimately had very little impact on things 

My major take away from the ending was

Hide contents

lol we’ve covered so much Marvel ground that now it’s time to get excited for Black Knight?

Spoiler

I see a Disney+ show for Black Knight after he's in the Blade movie most likely.

D+ Day is this week. We better get a goddamn trailer for Ms. Marvel and a release date or I'm gonna go nuts. Not looking forward to her being a genie or whatever but I'll take what I can get I guess.

Since this is the movie thread... I guess we'll probably get some more Phase 4 or 5 announcements. And Shang-Chi comes to D+ this week, so...

Oh yeah, they're adding IMAX versions of some of the MCU movies.

Edited by tristy

I didn't think it was a bad movie by any stretch, it just felt very chaotic in terms of introducing so many characters in one film. I know there was no other way of doing it, and they gave it as much time as possible, but I was still left feeling a bit confused by the end of it.

Spoiler

Ikaris flying into the sun was such a random moment, it was obvious why he did it but it came out of nowhere. And I don't think there's a character in the MCU I dislike more than Sprite, how she got away with everything she did and accepted back in the fold without hesitation was very annoying. The deviant leader was such an undeveloped character that I genuinely can't remember their name and was confused who Bill Skarsgaard was playing when I saw the credits.

On the plus side, I really liked Druig and Makkari's relationship, and Druig was probably my favourite character overall. The epic scale of the Celestials was superb, and all the major actors delivered. It's been a long time coming, but to have a gay kiss/marriage is at least some movement towards not bowing down to the pressures of the homophobic parts of the world.

Surely I can't be the only one that felt underwhelmed by Harry Styles showing up, but ecstatic at Patton Oswalt and Mahershala Ali's voice? I certainly seemed to be the only one in the cinema who felt that way.

• Like 1

I wonder... (Eternals post-credits)

Spoiler

Is Eros/Starfox going to be as creepy in the movies as he is in the comics?

I thought it was really good, but it did have a lot to do. 

Spoiler

I can see why it might seem like a slog for people, given they introduced 10 new heroes in this group, plus Whitman, Starfox, and Arishem, and so far none of the established characters have interacted with them, so it feels contained but it was always going to. Introducing anyone else into it would have just cut down on the screen time for everyone.

I think they fleshed all the characters pretty well, and I can't wait to see how the Eternals integrate into the wider MCU now. I like that they all have unique powers but aren't overpowered, they'll all find a place and it should lead to some fun team ups.

I counted 14 new characters introduced in the film and 3 in the post-credit scenes, which is a huge amount to put on an audience even if it is necessary to both tell the backstory and drive the plot.

Spoiler

Ikaris
Sersi
Phastos
Thena
Sprite
Gilgamesh
Ajak
Druig
Makkari
Kingo
Dane Whitman
Kro
Arishem
Tiamut
Karun
Starfox
Pip the Troll
Blade

20 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I counted 14 new characters introduced in the film and 3 in the post-credit scenes, which is a huge amount to put on an audience even if it is necessary to both tell the backstory and drive the plot.

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I get why you've put him there but I'm not sure that last one really counts given he isn't even credited. We only know who it was because it was confirmed outside of the film's context.

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Hide contents

Ikaris
Sersi
Phastos
Thena
Sprite
Gilgamesh
Ajak
Druig
Makkari
Kingo
Dane Whitman
Kro
Arishem
Tiamut
Karun
Starfox
Pip the Troll
Blade

14? Are you counting Arishem as being previously established? It'll be interesting to see who pops up again later.

1 hour ago, Jereeler YUTA said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yeah that's fair enough, although the first thing I did was to look up who the voice was, so even after the film was over the audience was having to do work to have all of the information :P.

54 minutes ago, TheRaySays said:

Spoiler

Ikaris
Sersi
Phastos
Thena
Sprite
Gilgamesh
Ajak
Druig
Makkari
Kingo
Dane Whitman
Kro
Arishem
Tiamut
Karun
Starfox
Pip the Troll
Blade

14? Are you counting Arishem as being previously established? It'll be interesting to see who pops up again later. 

He(?)'s in there :(Y):

I should say as well that I don't consider this as a bad thing as I love being able to invest myself into more characters in the Marvel landscape, I can just see how it's daunting for people with less of an interest.

I'm planning to watch Shang Chi this weekend, but I'm still catching up with Falcon and Winter Soldier and Loki, should I finish those first at risk of having missed something? I suspect not, but the after credit scene of Black Widow with JLD threw me slightly.

7 minutes ago, Colly said:

I'm planning to watch Shang Chi this weekend, but I'm still catching up with Falcon and Winter Soldier and Loki, should I finish those first at risk of having missed something? I suspect not, but the after credit scene of Black Widow with JLD threw me slightly.

Yup as far as I recall Shang Chi is pretty much standalone from the rest of the MCU for the most part, certainly no Loki or Falcon/Winter Soldier tie ins. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Colly said:

You actually saw the Black Widow post credits scene as it was intended then, BW was originally supposed to release before Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I liked some of what Eternals was trying to do, but thought it was most a structural mess and very much not utilising Chloe Zhao's voice anywhere near as much as it could have.

Was still nice to see someone try and do something different than the usual origin story template, but really thought it was messy for the first hour in particular. 

Was really hoping to dig it, so glad to see some on here got something out of it that I couldn't. 

• Like 1