2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

23 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Who made the hit? Could be an overzealous youngster trying to make a play and impress his coaches. 

I don't know, it didn't look that malicious to me.

I agree.

You go for the head, it's malicious. You go for the legs, it's malicious. D-backs can't catch a break in today's football world.

• Like 3

He's being called out for hitting dirty by a bunch of players on Twitter. It's an easy hit to make. Wrap up his legs and bring him down, don't throw your shoulder and one arm into one of his legs. Especially a preseason game.

If that receiver isn't Odell Beckham, but Bobby Blowhard, sixth string receiver for the Buccaneers, nobody cares. But it's one of the league's big stars so everyone thinks they have to stand up against it. It's a tackle. It's football. He didn't hit him in the head. He went low like he was suppose to. 

• Like 8

I understand it sucks to get hurt in pre-season, but I can't see what he did wrong. Its a quick play, and Odell was not a defenseless WR there. Wasn't a late hit, or a shot to the head, it was a legal football tackle.

And yeah, I agree with Meacon that it being Odell Beckham has people up in arms. 

As a Giants fan, I obviously would've been devastated if OBJ had picked up a major injury, as it would've killed the potentially promising Giants season dead in the water in August.  And I'm sure Landon Collins and Damon Harrison among others are well aware of that too hence them getting so heated about it.  But Boddy-Calhoun shouldn't be getting any blame at all.  It's football and it was a legal hit.  Injuries happen and they fucking suck when they do, but there was nothing malicious about that hit at all.

To me, it looks like he was aiming right for his leg. He was looking at it the whole way, threw his arm and shoulder into it, and followed through. He should have either aimed for both legs or just wrapped him up and brought him down that way.

He was looking the whole way, because he kept his head up, which is what you do when you're tackling a guy and preventing yourself from neck injuries or concussions. If he had put his head down, he would have been accused of spearing, and could have really done damage to Beckham or himself. And we'd likely be hearing the same "dirty hit/cheap shot" arguments if he had taken out both legs instead of just the one. And I get your argument about wrapping up during the tackle, but I can count on my hands the number of times I see guys actually wrap up while tackling nowadays. It's become a total lost art, where defenders think they're so fast and strong that all they had to do is run into the ball carrier to knock him down. It's my biggest pet peeve in football. Defenses would be so much better (see: Notre Dame in 2012. Average talent but everyone actually wrapped up during tackles and not any of that macho ba-ram-you run into you tackle bullshit) if they wrapped their arms around the carrier, but that's just not how guys play anymore. 

• Like 2

• Admin
18 minutes ago, Pooker said:

To me, it looks like he was aiming right for his leg. He was looking at it the whole way, threw his arm and shoulder into it, and followed through. He should have either aimed for both legs or just wrapped him up and brought him down that way.

Nobody is saying it was a perfect tackle. But in terms of where on the body he was aiming - where else would have you rather he hit? Up high?

38 minutes ago, livid said:

Wrapping up when tackling is one of the reasons why the 49ers defenses under Harbaugh were so good. 

I'll be on my deathbed and say that's why the Irish went 12-0 (we like to ignore the natty championship for obvious reasons) in 2012. It wasn't because of the offense and it wasn't just because of Te'o. It was because every single defender simply wrapped up when tackling. It's so stinkin' simple and it does wonders for average defenses, yet it's just not stressed enough. It blows my mind. 

• Like 2

Ya, part of the reason the Lions defense over achieved last year was an emphasis on good tackling. Much of that was because we wrapped guys up. Our D wasn't anything special but we rated highly on not missing tackles and had a good stretch of games where we held opponents under 20 points. 

I actually feel good about our D this year. Well...the dline could be awful but our secondary is going to be strong and deep. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Ya, part of the reason the Lions defense over achieved last year was an emphasis on good tackling. Much of that was because we wrapped guys up. Our D wasn't anything special but we rated highly on not missing tackles and had a good stretch of games where we held opponents under 20 points. 

I actually feel good about our D this year. Well...the dline could be awful but our secondary is going to be strong and deep. 

I was reading a season preview for the Lions and it pointed out that, whilst we allowed a lot of completions, it was almost entirely down to no big plays being on the Dline - the Dbacks actually had solid stats! Hopefully one or two players step up this year. 

30 minutes ago, DFF said:

I was reading a season preview for the Lions and it pointed out that, whilst we allowed a lot of completions, it was almost entirely down to no big plays being on the Dline - the Dbacks actually had solid stats! Hopefully one or two players step up this year. 

Well, we know Slay and Quinn are great players. Nevin Lawson is rock solid, he's tenacious and aggressive. He may not be perfect but he's solid. Killebrew will only get better. 

Our depth at CB is nice. Quandre Diggs had a rough second year but I think people forget he had a pretty solid rookie year. He's scrappy, nice nickel. Teez Tabor the rookie will have growing pains but has actually done fairly well in pre-season. 

They just need to force more turnovers. Realistically, the LBers need to do a better job there. 

A guy in an orange helmet nearly ended someone's career (</hyperbole >) and it wasn't Vontaze Burfict? :o

In all seriousness though, that's one those "that's football" tackles where nobody likes it but we've come to accept that people are going to be that stupid whether we allow it or not. I tore my ACL just watching that. There's a huuuge difference between "going low" and "smashing your shoulder directly into the knee of the ball carrier's supporting leg". In fucking pre-season no less.

Guy's trying to make a name for himself and make the team, I get it, but you don't want to be known as "the guy that killed OBJ". That's the wrong kind of name to be making.

Not saying it was dirty, or that there was any malice intended at all, and I do agree that if it wasn't a top tier WR we wouldn't be talking about it as much, but it was a fucking awful tackle.