The card game thread

=BK=

Well, Exodia isn't that OP if normal people are playing. It's the uber-competitive nerds that bring it down to a science and spend money to get the perfect cards to bring the pieces into their hand and break the game that make it so. A game like in the video is one in a million. Plus, if you've played someone that uses Exodia then you know what to do next time you play to gimp him. Like, I lost to that character once in this GBA game because of Exodia so I loaded some cards into my deck that's make him discard his hand or off the top of his deck. Normally all it took was two discards to get at least one part out of his reach for the rest of the game.

On 8/18/2017 at 03:49, Jericode said:

I'd be more than happy to try and explain modern Yu-Gi-Oh but I suspect it would take me hours to type up so I'd really rather not.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Are Synchro Monsters basically just monsters that need specific sacrifices to summon?

And XYZ monsters are kinda the same but have their tributes attached to them and used to activate affects a limited amount of times?

6 hours ago, =BK= said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Are Synchro Monsters basically just monsters that need specific sacrifices to summon?

And XYZ monsters are kinda the same but have their tributes attached to them and used to activate affects a limited amount of times?

Basically.

Synchro monsters need a 'Tuner' and the combined levels of the materials need to be the same as the Synchro monster you want to summon. Sometimes you need more specific materials, such as a specific Tuner or materials of a certain type.

Xyz monsters require monsters of the same level (usually 2 but can be more) as 'Overlay Units' which are usually detattached to activate their effects.

• Thanks 1

Yu-Gi-Oh! - The Eternal Duelist Soul (U) [hI]_06.png

Pegasus hoarding LP is a sight to see. This wasn't even his max. He went up 2000 more. Luckily I later had something to chop him down.

Yu-Gi-Oh! - The Eternal Duelist Soul (U) [hI]_05.png

Funny thing is this looks OP but if I were against Kaiba this still wouldn't be enough to straight out beat him. He uses a card that sacrifices like 5000 LP to summon a fusion monster and uses it to bring out Blue Eyes Ultimate. I've had him do it on turn 2.

I noticed a bug with Pegasus' AI too. He'll get Toon Blue Eyes out and sacrifice it for Toon Summoned Skull and then he'll sacrifice that Skull for an identical Toon Summoned Skull. I've seen it happen 4 times.

That looks ancient, what game is that?

If you want to practice the newer stuff, I'd recommend YGOPro. It's an online simulator that's updated regularly (although they haven't implemented the newest master rule on it yet), has the full card database and a load of pre-built decks you can play against vs an AI opponent and it's got online functionality as well to play against people. Can change between a few different ban lists as well which may help the progression of new stuff.

19 hours ago, Jericode said:

That looks ancient, what game is that?

If you want to practice the newer stuff, I'd recommend YGOPro. It's an online simulator that's updated regularly (although they haven't implemented the newest master rule on it yet), has the full card database and a load of pre-built decks you can play against vs an AI opponent and it's got online functionality as well to play against people. Can change between a few different ban lists as well which may help the progression of new stuff.

It's Eternal Duelist Soul. The first GBA game. I like playing these games instead of YGOPro because I like to earn my cards. Having every card ever available kinda kills the fun for me. 

I had Forbidden Memories I think. The PS1game  that plays a prototype of the card game? It annoyed the shit out of me because I had no idea what was good and what was bad in that system. I might find a ROM and see if I can get it now.

10 hours ago, Jericode said:

Nope, not the one I'm thinking of. Mine was a GBA game. Worldwide Edition maybe?

Ah, Worldwide is the next GBA game after EDS. I'll be starting on it soon as I win the Grandpa Cup in EDS. I'm not taking the time to try and collect the God cards when they're non playable.

I tend to build around Fiends and Spellcasters for whatever reason but I'll including others. My entire strat cones down to using the most powerful non sacrifice monsters I can get to keep the field clean of the opponent's top-teir monsters along with a few magic and traps to catch the big ones that slip through. I'm never actively trying to set up for my own huge monster unless I absolutely need it. So I'll try to get out Summoned Skull(My favorite card), Dark Magician or Magician of Black Chaos if my opponent manages to sneek out something higher than 2000 attack. 

I wanted to try a dragon deck in EDS but there are so few decent dragons in it. Everything decent is either a sacrifice monster or is classed as a dinosaur.

• Like 1

Man, I've been watching some videos on the modern game and YGO just does not look fun anymore. Waaaaay too much added that changes the base game. It almost makes me want to seek out a new TCG that has yet to be tainted by "pro' players, stat nerds and power-creep.

Konami should really encourage the use of two formats then. Modern and classic. Just going all the way with the modern game only makes it look like all there is because that's what people who talk about the game focus on.

There are actually other formats, but they're so scarcely used I don't think most people know they even exist. There's ones that focus on each generation and ban all other extra deck cards (so just Fusion, Synchro, or Xyz; there aren't really enough Link cards to do it yet); Traditional format, which has no 'banned' cards and puts anything banned to 1 instead, but everything else is the same so there's not much point to it; and there's a Speed format too which I know very little about. Duel Links, the app that they put out last year, also has it's own format where there are only three spots on the field instead of five, the deck size is smaller, and you get 4000 life points instead of 8000, so it's generally much quicker - I imagine there are similarities to Speed format but as I said, I don't know anything about it off hand.