Favorite Youtube Channels

Lint

9 minutes ago, GA! said:

I'm amazed Doug Walker is still doing the same shtick apparently a decade later

9 minutes ago, GA! said:

AVGN

Talk about doing the same thing a decade later...James apparently isn't even much involved in the channel much anymore.  Other people write, record gameplay footage and edit, he's just basically an actor in the videos at this point.  Aside from Jame & Mike Monday (which has ended since Mike has left the channel), everything they've tried just felt...poor?  Rental Reviews (or maybe it was Retail Reviews, I can't remember) felt like a bad copy of Red Letter Media's Re:View and Best Of The Worst series

AVGN at a certain point felt like his heart wasn't in it, like there's been a couple of points it seemed like he was intending to retire it but it just kept going. I prefer pretty much everything James puts out over AVGN.

Maybe you can argue it's a lack of creativity on James and Doug's part but I guess it's hard to give up that cash cow and altering it leads to negative feedback. Just look at Doug trying to shift to that one show before bringing NC back. Or those weirdos in the Cinnemassacre truth Reddit. Oh, Mike Matei is the problem. Now it's the lack of Bootsy. Oh, now it's Justin/Tony/Kieran etc etc.

6 hours ago, Lint said:

"Ooohhh new Lindsay Ellis video!  Oohhhh an hour and 40 minutes?  Thats a weekend watch!"

Haven't finished it yet myself but it's worth watching.

6 hours ago, GA! said:

I think the last thing I watched in relation to TGWTG was Kickassia. I couldn't tell you if I was still watching Doug Walker even then, but that's where I dropped everyone, and only got back into Lindsay Ellis early last year. Is Linkara still a thing? Angry Joe? Spoony? Don't know, really don't care. Even in 2011/12 or whenever Kickassia was, that whole angry white guy review template was blase. I'm amazed Doug Walker is still doing the same shtick apparently a decade later... You have to actively fight against personal and professional development to achieve that.

Speaking of personal development: I can't believe every Wednesday morning at uni I would wake up early specifically to watch Nostalgia Critic, Zero Punctuation and AVGN back-to-back-to-back. To coin a phrase, WHAT WAS I THINKING?

I'd say alot of the people who were the big names on Channel Awesome are still out there making stuff in some way shape or form.

It surprised me to learn Angry Joe has 3.8 million subscribers.  I follow him on twitter, so I know Linkara is still plugging away. Although I've not watch a single one of his videos for going on maybe 8 years now.

Spoony ... is still on Twitter? But his videos, site, forums, everything I think is gone.

Doug did try to move on. He just did it in the most hamfisted with To Boldly Flee and the poorly planned and excecuted follow up to the Nostaglia Critic that was Demo Reel. What Demo Reel was seems to really be what he wants to do. He really wants to make parody sketches and songs. So now, as far as I can tell, he just does the Nostaglia Critic schtick while also doing parodies sketches and songs so he can have his cake and eat it.

Linkara, in fact, in response to the Folding Ideas video on Twitter said that "incurious" is what best sums Doug up as a person. He's just not that interested in things beyond his own world and what works fine for him.

There is always going to be an audience for Doug's comedy. For the exact reasons that it appealed to me or others in our early 20s. Or even younger for some people (i'm constantly surprised by the people who are like "I watched his videos when I was 14!"). It's immature surface level criticism that appeals to younger people with an interest in media but who are without out really any developed thoughts on media criticism as a form. I first found it as a 2nd year English lit student who was just learning about media criticism as a thing. Then ended up gravitating more to Lindsay Ellis and Kyle Kallgren's brand of videos more because they actually talked about stuff.

There's also that weird element that Doug Walker doesn't own the Nostaglia Critic IP rather  Mike Michaud, the the CEO of Channel Awesome does. So if the NC still makes money then, i guess, it keeps existing. I'm sure it's pulling in enoug to keep them going. As far as I can tell, the channel is just plateauing in terms of subs and I'd have to assume his views aren't the levels they once were.  (Although we'll never know just what they were at their height because Blip is long gone and view counts weren't public) But he still probably gets 1 million or so views a month on all his videos combined and that's enough to live comfortably on with ad revenue.

5 hours ago, Hobo said:

Spoony ... is still on Twitter? But his videos, site, forums, everything I think is gone.

Fredrik Knudsen made a video about Spoony and his decline a few years ago. It's quite sad to see what has become of him. He used to be my favorite of the CA-related reviwers.

And here is the new LIndsay Ellis video in which she talks about her recent cancellation:

God, watching this reminds me SO much of my uncle Mike.  I think he might technically be a cousin?  He was the son of my grandmothers sister (grand aunt?  I get so confused about that stuff)

Uncle Mike couldn't dress himself.  He wore velcro sneakers until the day he passed away because he never learned how to tie his shoes.  But Mike could recall EVERYTHING

He'd meet one of my friends at, say, a 4th of July party.  Then he'd meet them again at Christmas 2 years later and he'd remember everything about that July 4th party, right down to what they were wearing.

It was said he "knew everyone in town" because he'd borrow the high school yearbook from the library every year, read it and remember the names and faces of everyone in it.

Until watching this video, I never thought about how much I missed Uncle Mike..

• 3 weeks later...

This is actually kind of interesting

• 2 weeks later...

I love Captain Disillusion videos. Because it's fun to learn how VFX tricks are used in everything from viral videos to film. I only discovered the channel about 2 years ago before learning he's been doing this since 2007.

I really enjoyed him dropping the character essentially to do a 40 min video on the VFX of in Flight of the Navigator. With actual props from the movie!

• Like 1

On the newest episode of Good Mythical More, the "show after the show" post-show for Good Mythical Morning, Rhett & Link revealed that they had worked on an animated series, pitched it to a lot of networks, one network in particular really liked it, and it seems like everything was a go until the animation studios changed and then they were told that this "probably isn't happening anymore". 

So they showed it on GMMore.

For some context/backstory, Damnyell is a character of Rhett's who appears to be a man being controlled by a "dead animal" atop his head. I think they'd talked in the past about wanting to do something Damnyell related because he's a fan favorite, and Cotton Candy Randy is a character that one of the show's writers came up with that became a big hit for them.

• 1 month later...

There are few things in the world that more wonderful than when Patrick H Willems makes a video with his parents.

Especially when he takes them to see installments of movie franchises they've never seen.

34 minutes ago, Lineker said:

You'd like Geoff Marshall too then.

I do, but I personally prefer the historical side of things, I do love a bit of London history, that's what got me hooked, the transport stuff is an added bonus.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GA! said:

I like watching videos about lost media, but I worry the way they're presented that I'm one click away from being recommended flat-earther videos about the evils of vaccines.

Back when the CW Network did their Arrowverse crossover event 'Elseworlds', I watched a video about all the Easter eggs in it.

I was immediately recommended a video titled "Why the CW Hates Superman, and Men in General"

So yea, watched a video about fun Easter eggs in a basic cable comic book crossover show, immediately got some MRA bullshit

Ah. Thought that would be the case. The way some people dig for lost media to near conspiratorial levels probably means they're all about the chemtrails too. At least I'm aware of it and will now watch something else instead.

Saying that, I miss the days when you could read snopes.com, have a bit of fun with some crazy truths and untruths, and then get on with your day like a normal human being.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2021 at 09:51, GA! said:

I like watching videos about lost media, but I worry the way they're presented that I'm one click away from being recommended flat-earther videos about the evils of vaccines.

I'm not sure if you are a Doctor Who fan, but this is a fantastic documentary covering the junking of episodes and then the effort made to recover missing episodes to the archive.