Favorite Youtube Channels

Lint

4 hours ago, Lint said:

Alright, well keep supporting a racist because he "entertains" you.  This is how this shit gets normalized

lmao, okay dude. not really, because I don't support his opinions and his content has nothing to do with politics. If their politics isn't anything to do with their content, I'm honestly not bothered. He hasn't spoken about his opinions in that regard since, and I think he's learned his lesson. I don't think it's doing any harm as long as he keeps things to himself from now on.

If his content was based on politics, sure, that would be how it gets normalised. But his political opinions have nothing to do with his content and he got a massive backlash from that time he shared his views. As long as he keeps his opinions to himself (and hopefully realises the error of his ways and how daft his views are), then I really couldn't give a toss.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/3/2018 at 22:53, Hellraiser said:

Anyone here heardabout this yet?

And Channel Awesome's "apology"

https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/channel-awesome-sexual-misconduct-allegations/

It's really been a case of the chickens coming home to roost with CA. They have been getting away with being a terribly run company for long time.  I've not read all the document because I haven't had the time but I was following the original thread with Lupa et al - and I am glad to see that CA is taking a hit over it. They're losing subcribers and their statement in reaction to the doc did not go down well on their own Facebook. I've heard the same has happened in other parts of their fan-community.

And that is the thing about CA, it's core fan community has always been fairly close to the producers. Particularly the likes of Alison Pregler, who literally came up from the fan forums to the main site.

I was on knock-off TGWTG sites that were better run. Also it's good to note that contributors who have left (Lindsay Ellis, for example) have become much bigger and better things than Channel Awesome is.

NerdCity is amazing. I would recommend everyone to take some time and go watch his TryHards series. It's a perfect mixture of putting a ton of work into it and being funny and entertaining. I'm really glad I discovered him through the likes of H3H3 and IdubbbzTv. (Yeah judge me for liking edgy content).

Also, this guy is one of my favorites:

He does reviews of retro VHS Tapes, and retro video games and in recent times retro cooking recipes.

Edited by Tkasto

On 4/3/2018 at 17:53, Hellraiser said:

Anyone here heardabout this yet?

And Channel Awesome's "apology"

*sighs and unsubscribes from CA*

I've seen here and there that CA has done some shady shit but never thought anything about it because I didn't know what it meant.  This is the first time I've read accounts of it

For the people that like whimsical and calm video game plays with commentary, the best one to track is Kikoskia. Has been at it for a decade and he's never gotten fancy.

Also it's a curse free player, from all his content you could probably count the swearing on one hand, total. Which is refreshing in its own right.

On Sunday, April 08, 2018 at 21:28, Lint said:

*sighs and unsubscribes from CA*

I've seen here and there that CA has done some shady shit but never thought anything about it because I didn't know what it meant.  This is the first time I've read accounts of it

CA has only 13 producers now because of this.

they had about 40 in March.

I read the #ChangeTheChannel stuff the other day. I'm amazed That Guy with the Glasses still exists in a day and age where a video producer can get tens and thousands of views on Youtube with little help from anyone else. It's also incredible 90% of the accusations date back to when I watched shite like Nostalgia Critic - I've not seen his stuff for nearly a decade. Granted, times were different in 2009-2010 before Youtube embraced copyrighted material, but why has it taken until 2018 for news of Channel Awesome being shitlords came out? Was leeching off Doug Walker's (bizarre) popularity that essential?

I think the last big thing that CA had going for it was the sense of community between the producers (aside from Doug and his Chicago kliq) so I can how some people may have kept quite about the exact reasons they left because they didn't want to potentially force their friends into a snap decision to either leave CA or not.

Plus several of the people who left recently have said that they stayed longer than they wanted to because they needed to build their YouTube presence after the end of Blip, a lot of them were pretty much soley dependant on CA for views until they managed to build up subscribers on YouTube after the (in hindsight and in fairness they didn't have much of an option at that point) short sighted decision to go with Blip.

On 4/10/2018 at 15:55, GA! said:

I read the #ChangeTheChannel stuff the other day. I'm amazed That Guy with the Glasses still exists in a day and age where a video producer can get tens and thousands of views on Youtube with little help from anyone else. It's also incredible 90% of the accusations date back to when I watched shite like Nostalgia Critic - I've not seen his stuff for nearly a decade. Granted, times were different in 2009-2010 before Youtube embraced copyrighted material, but why has it taken until 2018 for news of Channel Awesome being shitlords came out? Was leeching off Doug Walker's (bizarre) popularity that essential?

In the early days it was essentially and in hindsight, it's completely obvious what the Channel Awesome ownership thought of their producers that it took them until about 2015 to rebrand as Channel Awesome from ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.

I don't know if they've picked up talent since 2015 or whenever the last big drive was. The site was closed off to new applicants for about 4 or 5 years. I know from being in that community that getting on CA was a big deal for people. It wasn't so much about Doug as it was about like @hugobomb says the community of producers.

Doug is not really part of that community. He's clearly the star of the show. Although the amount they care about the rest of the people on the site has really been a lot lower than their audience tended to.

Alison Pregler (formerly Obscurus Lupa) who kinda kickstarted this whole thing did a vlog about the whole thing in addition to the doc.

Also

Channel Awesome have responsed to the document. Or, "How could We Make This Worse?"

So, it turns out that the person who was fired for sexual assault/grooming was Justin "Jewwario" Carmichael. A poster on reddit said this and Holly Brown (former CA head of HR) confirmed that Justin was fired for sexual assault.

Justin Carmichael killed himself a few years ago,

I have heard Guru Larry wants to be the last to leave because he thinks it would be funny. I've never watched anything he's produced but I've always gotten the sense he was kinda a dickhead.

Brad Jones can well afford to not be part of CA. I can only assume he's been staying out of the whole thing because of his personal connections to both the Walkers and, for one, Alison Pregler. He frequently collaborates with both of the sides of this whole thing. So that must be rough.

Kinda always admired that Brad keeps a lot of things private and doesn't speak about them unless he has to.