Football Manager 2018

Lineker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, TMM said:

Is a game just as an international manager fun to play? I think I've only ever managed internationally before while managing at club level but I'm kinda curious

The saves I get furthest into are international management ones, but it's not as deep as the club game.

1 hour ago, TMM said:

Is a game just as an international manager fun to play? I think I've only ever managed internationally before while managing at club level but I'm kinda curious

International management definitely needs work for future versions. They have pretty much been the same for years now. You cannot even set training for the team, I think something like that would make sense, as well as match preparation. The option is there to add and remove staff members from the national setup but honestly I don't even bother as I have no idea what purpose they bring.

In terms of what I do between matches, I tend to holiday until the next squad selection rather than sitting there and constantly clicking continue. Looking at my profile, I have been in the England hot seat for 1,481 days and have spent 1,005 days on holiday. Absolute part-timer.

My record, despite not winning either of the big two trophies yet isn't terrible. 

Games played: 49
Games won: 39
Games drawn: 3
Games lost: 7
Goals scored: 121
Goals conceded: 36

That's 2.5 goals per game. I'll take that.

Is there still the option to "watch" a game in any of the active leagues each week as an international manager like in the old games? I always thought that was a good simulation of what the real England manager does, going to a Prem game each week to watch potential call-ups. Plus you can see how the league season plays out as you do it.

6 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

International management definitely needs work for future versions. They have pretty much been the same for years now. You cannot even set training for the team, I think something like that would make sense, as well as match preparation. The option is there to add and remove staff members from the national setup but honestly I don't even bother as I have no idea what purpose they bring.

In terms of what I do between matches, I tend to holiday until the next squad selection rather than sitting there and constantly clicking continue. Looking at my profile, I have been in the England hot seat for 1,481 days and have spent 1,005 days on holiday. Absolute part-timer.

My record, despite not winning either of the big two trophies yet isn't terrible. 

Games played: 49
Games won: 39
Games drawn: 3
Games lost: 7
Goals scored: 121
Goals conceded: 36

That's 2.5 goals per game. I'll take that.

The assistant manager gives you tips on stuff and rates your players and tells you their worth in any position/role/duty, also they rate anyone you add into the national pool of players. I didn't have one in the beggining and since I got one, I got more info on my players and opposition.

I don't really know what coaches are good for in international management.

Managing the New Zealand National side, we easily won the World Cup Oceania Qualifiers beating New Caledonia 8-1(agg) in the final. Went on to lose 1-0 to Qatar at home but followed it up with a 3-2 win over South Africa. This put me in high hopes for the World Cup Playoffs match against Colombia.
In what looked like an absolute shit show, we lost 6-4 away in the first leg with Falcao scoring 4 incl. 2 penalties. I'm was somewhat happy with the result seeing that we were able to slip 4 goals passed their defence and giving as a decent away goal total. We headed home for the return leg. Should have stayed in South America.
Losing 2-4 at home isn't how you'd want to bow out of the World Cup before even making it to the World Cup and it's even worse when the final score is 6-10.

Now I have a long wait to see what competition I have coming up. Confederations cup is in a few years, I think. And the Olympic Qualifiers start in about 18 mths. This could be quite a short save.

8 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Is there still the option to "watch" a game in any of the active leagues each week as an international manager like in the old games? I always thought that was a good simulation of what the real England manager does, going to a Prem game each week to watch potential call-ups. Plus you can see how the league season plays out as you do it.

Yes. Your personal assistant will give you a list of games at the start of the week and you can pick - or you can do it manually by going to the league or clubs schedule page and clicking the bit where the score would show up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Adam es Tranquilo said:

Yeah, sod that! 

I have completed four full Premier League seasons, and the top six have been Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man Utd and Tottenham every single season (not in that order). After six games played in the 21/22 season, the top six are Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Tottenham (in that order). Monopoly. 

Finished up my World Cup qualifiers, finishing 1st. 

I fucked up my perfect record on the last gameday against Bosnia & Herzegovina drawing 0-0 at Wembley. So I finished with 9 wins from 10, scoring 23 goals and conceding none. Now for the draw for the World Cup. 

Harry Kane predictably broke Wayne Rooney's goalscoring record, he has 54 goals in 62 caps. Also earned himself an escape from Spurs (who at this point haven't won a trophy in 13 years :shifty:) to Real Madrid for a whopping £112. I feel Levy didn't get enough money for him.

Officially 1st in the World Rankings too! 

My World Cup adversaries are Russian, Iran and DR Congo. 

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Finished up my World Cup qualifiers, finishing 1st. 

I fucked up my perfect record on the last gameday against Bosnia & Herzegovina drawing 0-0 at Wembley. So I finished with 9 wins from 10, scoring 23 goals and conceding none. Now for the draw for the World Cup. 

Harry Kane predictably broke Wayne Rooney's goalscoring record, he has 54 goals in 62 caps. Also earned himself an escape from Spurs (who at this point haven't won a trophy in 13 years :shifty:) to Real Madrid for a whopping £112. I feel Levy didn't get enough money for him.

Officially 1st in the World Rankings too! 

My World Cup adversaries are Russian, Iran and DR Congo. 

I'll say. I bought a small tele for more than that the other week.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

World Cup 2022 squad confirmed:

Goalkeepers: Jordan Pickford, Jack Butland, Dean Henderson
Defenders: Nathaniel Clyne, Kyle Walker, Luke Shaw, Josh Tymon, Rob Holding, Calum Chambers, Joe Gomez, John Stones, Eric Dier
Midfielders: Ronaldo Vieira, Jordan Henderson, Nathaniel Chalobah, Jesse Lindgard, Lewis Cook, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Dele Alli, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling
Forwards: Marcus Rashford, Harry Kane

Annoyingly, Trent Alexander-Arnold got himself injured for three months, so will miss the entire tournament. I realised after picking the squad, that I could have used another striker, but there was literally nobody out there.

Spurs have offered me an interview as they sacked Jurgen Klopp after they finished 9th. 

I was planning on stopping after the 2022 World Cup anyway. 

Took it. Now I feel dirty. Plan to win Tottenham a trophy within two seasons.