NBA 2017-2018 Season

Twist

On 9/27/2017 at 07:03, Jasonmufc said:

I assume Jeff? Because he's outspoken about anything.

Stan, his politics are very much in line with Pops. Although haven't actually heard anything from him in a bit but he had been highly critical of Trump. 

And of course some didn't like it because they think people that work in pro sports aren't supposed to voice an opinion. Unless they agree with it.

Edit - and actually, here is Stans feelings on if his players kneel or do whatever. 

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/2017/09/pistons_stan_van_gundy_encoura.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Basically, he supports it, as does our owner. 

The stick-to-sports crowd, couldn't we say that with virtually anybody about anything?" Van Gundy said. "When you say that, what are you saying? That as an athlete you're too stupid to speak out but it's OK for business people to speak out? You don't want anybody to speak out? What they really mean is they don't want anybody who disagrees with them to speak out.

Funny, I made a similar point. 

• Like 1

Here are my predictions for the upcoming season:

East - 1. Milwaukee, 2. Cleveland, 3. Toronto, 4. Washington, 5. Charlotte, 6. Miami, 7.  Detroit, 8.  Boston

West - 1. Golden State, 2. Houston, 3. New Orleans, 4.  Minnesota, 5.  Oklahoma City, 6.  Denver, 7.  San Antonio, 8.  Los Angeles Clippers

MVP - Kevin Durant (GSW)

ROY - Dennis Smith Jr (Dallas)

All Star Starters - Kyrie Irving, Lebron James, John Wall, Giannis Antetokoumpo & Joel Embid vs. Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis

Conference Finals

Cleveland def. Milwaukee in 5 games

Golden State def. San Antonio in 7 games

Finals

Cleveland def. Golden State in 6 games

• Like 1

On 29-9-2017 at 23:14, Pooker said:

Good for him. Too bad George is leaving after this season, Melo will hate not having the ball, and Westbrook will be left by himself again.

If Melo can bring it up to play like he plays at the national team than OKC will be fine. And I think we have a chance of George staying. He's quite happy so far.

6 hours ago, JPanare89 said:

ROY - Dennis Smith Jr (Dallas)

I so fucking hope so. Dallas haven't had a bonafide young star since... Arguably before Dirk, who was dire in his first season. Dennis Smith seems like such a flexible type of talent, it would help us really build a future if he pans out.

NBA announced today that the All-star teams will now be chosen from two captains, who will be the top vote getters in each conference. They'll pick from a pool of players chosen by the fans, media, and coaches. And they'll be playing for a charity to benefit whatever city the all star game is held in.

So basically, it'll be LeBron and his friends verus Curry and his friends.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

I don't really mind the change either, it'll still be defense optional.

The thinkpieces that will come out of that game will be nauseating though. There will be like 70 articles about Durant & Westbrook and LeBron & Kyrie.

The NBA version of "can they coexist?"

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JPanare89 said:

I actually hate the change...I love East vs. West...I'm hoping this idea runs it course quickly.

I would like it if there was something at stake for the players to play for. Having it just as a showcase game is boring as fuck, basketball is not fun as a spectacle sport, it's a competitive, spectator sport, there's a huge difference. After a while, big powerful dunks that don't mean shit get boring (and by after a while, I mean after the first dunk). 

If they had some real stakes, even something like home court advantage for the winning conference, I'd take it.

This, winning for a charity, it's okay, I guess. I'm hoping they'll play competitively for it, because otherwise, it'll just be another game where the introductions are more exciting than the game itself. 

The ASG "meant something" in baseball for years but still sucked because guys just aren't gonna risk injury, and you also want to rotate in everybody so they all get a chance to play. All-Star Games are always gonna be exhibitions, with the stuff going on around the game (home run derby, skills competition) being better than the actual game.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

The ASG "meant something" in baseball for years but still sucked because guys just aren't gonna risk injury, and you also want to rotate in everybody so they all get a chance to play. All-Star Games are always gonna be exhibitions, with the stuff going on around the game (home run derby, skills competition) being better than the actual game.

I still think the MLB All-Star Game is easily the best one and most fun to watch.  It's the only All Star Game where they seem to try.