Official Rap Thread (Reprise)

Gorka

17 hours ago, Rey Cloudy said:

Color me shocked. I haven't listened to it yet, but my expectations are pretty low. 

Also, Kanye's pastor asked that his collaborators on the album (Nicki Minaj, Ty Dolla Sign, and others) "refrain from having premarital sex". I think that ship sailed for like.. all of them. >_>

EDIT: And reviews seem polarizing so far. NME gave it 4/5, The Independent gave it 2/5. 

I'm pretty sure Kanye himself asked anyone working on the album to not have premarital sex. I was just reading highlights of the interview with Zane Lowe, though. So I could be wrong.

Also, yeah, I'm not here for a gospel album. I love Kanye, I'll listen to everything up to this album, but that just doesn't jive with me. That's cool, good for him, but I don't care - much like how I don't care if he supports Trump. Just give me good music - but I'm not even going to give a gospel album a chance (or the Sunday Service album supposedly coming in December).

He also said he's going to re-record all of his older music and take out the cursing and sexual imagery or whatever.

"I miss the old Kanye..."

EDIT: Well I broke down and listened to it. "Follow God" is legit the only good song on this entire fuckin' thing.

Edited by tristy

I'd say it's more Christian rap than a gospel album, with the exception of opening track and one other IIRC. I like gospel music and occasional Christian rap and this really sucked. I didn't love Ye, but this is a big step down from that even.

Follow God's dope, though.

Edited by Tyrone

I got about as far as Follow God on Jesus Is King and tapped out. I don't really mind gospel or Christian music despite not being a believer, but this album is just plain not that good (so far).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To those who haven't seen Rhythm + Flow, it's a must watch. The tryouts are iffy, but the competition is great. From cyphers to battles to music videos to performances, it has it all. There are at least 4 artists that will end up being pretty decently known because of it. They respect real hip hop, but also look for marketability etc. The winner is incredible and the performances are phenomenal. I fell in love with the show right away. Helps that a hometown buddy of mine was on it (King Vvibe), but the show was one of the most enjoyable viewing/listening experiences I've had in a long time. 

1 hour ago, The Big Bratwurst said:

To those who haven't seen Rhythm + Flow, it's a must watch. The tryouts are iffy, but the competition is great. From cyphers to battles to music videos to performances, it has it all. There are at least 4 artists that will end up being pretty decently known because of it. They respect real hip hop, but also look for marketability etc. The winner is incredible and the performances are phenomenal. I fell in love with the show right away. Helps that a hometown buddy of mine was on it (King Vvibe), but the show was one of the most enjoyable viewing/listening experiences I've had in a long time. 

Your buddy was pretty good! 

Honestly loved the show. The performances were really dope, three of the four in the finale were amazing (the one who ended up second was the only one I wasn't really feeling, but his collab performance and the one he did in the finale were great). The only time I got real mad at the show was when

Spoiler

They put Old Man Saxon and D Smoke up against each other in the rap battle. Think the producers only wanted one veteran-like figure moving on, but shit, both guys were incredible and the loser of that most definitely deserved to move on further. That was pretty unfair, even the three judges knew it was a shit pairing. 

I hope the loser of that blows up as well, he's fire.

Also, I gotta' say Chance and Cardi were super fun throughout the whole thing (and Tip was also there :shifty:). 

1 hour ago, Benjamin said:

Your buddy was pretty good! 

Honestly loved the show. The performances were really dope, three of the four in the finale were amazing (the one who ended up second was the only one I wasn't really feeling, but his collab performance and the one he did in the finale were great). The only time I got real mad at the show was when

Hide contents

They put Old Man Saxon and D Smoke up against each other in the rap battle. Think the producers only wanted one veteran-like figure moving on, but shit, both guys were incredible and the loser of that most definitely deserved to move on further. That was pretty unfair, even the three judges knew it was a shit pairing. 

I hope the loser of that blows up as well, he's fire.

Also, I gotta' say Chance and Cardi were super fun throughout the whole thing (and Tip was also there :shifty:). 

Spoiler

The battle round frustrated me. I felt like Jakob Campbell easily beat Troyman, but because Troy is more marketable I feel they gave him the win. That bothered me. It really frustrated me how they put Saxon and Smoke up against each other, and Beanz and Flawless as well. I think Saxon and Beanz  could definitely have gone much, much further. Especially Beanz, in her first ever rap battle she damn near beat a guy who's been doing it for 10+ years. D Smoke said that him and Old Man Saxon are going to do a collab.  I also thought Ali Tomineek was out WAY too early. 

I'm not sure if you guys have seen any of their new singles, but I'll post some links. D Smoke has an EP out as well. I've actually reached out to a few of them and gotten responses from Ali Tomineek, Jakob Campbell and Caleb Colossus. 

This song is a hit. All three of these guys are on the show and each of them puts up a very strong verse.

Hell of a collab by Troyman and Londynn B. 

Hey here's something a bit different from the norm that people may enjoy. Underground rap/industrial hybrid. If you enjoy this sampler, check out his two other albums on his channel. (Especially Parasite Avenue. That whole album is dope.)

Edited by KiddKorupt11
Forgot a word

• 2 weeks later...

Juice WRLD died after swallowing several Percocet.

Chicago rapper Juice Wrld suffered convulsions and went into cardiac arrest as police and federal agents were searching his and his entourage’s luggage for guns and drugs at a private hangar at Midway Airport over the weekend, according to law enforcement sources.

The rapper’s girlfriend, asked by police if he had any medical issues or had ingested any drugs, replied that he takes Percocet, a painkiller, and “has a drug problem,” the sources said.

The officers and agents had been waiting at the Atlantic Aviation hangar at Midway early Sunday because they suspected the private plane from Los Angeles carrying the musician — whose real name was Jarad Higgins — was carrying contraband, the sources said.

The search turned up 41 “vacuum-sealed” bags of marijuana, six bottles of prescription codeine cough syrup, two 9 mm pistols, a .40-caliber pistol, a high-capacity ammunition magazine and metal-piercing bullets, according to the sources. Two men identified by police as working security for Higgins were charged with misdemeanor offenses for illegally possessing the guns and ammunition.

Here's an article from Complex, where they say that TMZ is reporting that he swallowed multiple Percocet pills to hide them from police.

From the dispatch audio obtained by TMZ, the responding officers told dispatch workers that they needed an ambulance for the rapper multiple times. They even asked for when the vehicle would arrive on at the scene, but they were unable to get a specific estimate for the time of arrival.

• 3 weeks later...