2018 MLB Thread

The Buscher

1 minute ago, Meacon said:

In their defense, I really do like Solarte. He can play anywhere in your infield when someone is banged up or just needs a day off.

You all shan’t compete with the Yanks anyway. (H)

Don't even remind me. You guys just buy your World Series wins anyway. [/everynonyankfan]

Yeah, I love the Solarte pick up. Our infield is the most injury prone and it gives us some solid depth - Ngoepe, Diaz and Solarte as noticable upgrades over Darwin and Goins (as much as I will miss those two). 

They seem to be on Cain and Yelich so not all hope is lost!

It will be almost impossible but I want them to try and trade Morales so bad. Having someone who has to play DH is the worst possible use of the role. Donaldson, Tulo and Travis could all use days at the position but it's blocked by Kendrys. 

I don't actually know who Solarte is. His numbers look pretty decent but I've never been able to watch much of the National League outside of the Braves, who I can't seem to watch anymore because I have no idea what channel their games are on now. I'm just annoyed at the fact they don't seem to be addressing our other needs. 

I don't get to pay a lot of attention to the minors so maybe there is someone down there they're hoping to put in these spots but I haven't heard anything.

On 1/6/2018 at 09:47, Meacon said:

Yeah the O’s should bring back Palmeiro, Ripken, and Brady Anderson. You all aren’t gonna compete anyway, may as well sell some extra tickets.

Brady still looks like he's 28 years old and he put on a decent performance at the '92 team home run derby this past summer.

Cal, well, he does not look like he's in playing shape anymore.

1 hour ago, Forever Forky said:

I don't actually know who Solarte is. His numbers look pretty decent but I've never been able to watch much of the National League outside of the Braves, who I can't seem to watch anymore because I have no idea what channel their games are on now. I'm just annoyed at the fact they don't seem to be addressing our other needs. 

I don't get to pay a lot of attention to the minors so maybe there is someone down there they're hoping to put in these spots but I haven't heard anything.

The Jays have some good outfield prospects, with a couple of guys potentially ready to step in to the MLB lineup with Alford and Hernandez. Vlad Jr isn't projected to be too far off either, provided he maintains his level of play this season.

Pitching can always use an upgrade. One starter would be good, and some fresh arms for the pen wouldn't be a bad idea after the heavy use that it saw last season.

Really though, the biggest problem with the roster is Morales, who is being paid way too much money to swing a bat 3 times a night and take up a DH spot that really should be a rotating position to give our injury prone guys more time off the field, while keeping their bats in the lineup.

1 hour ago, Forever Forky said:

This is the new front office though. They seem to be the type to not overpay a cent for someone. The exception has been Morales. They offered Edwin the 4 years/$80M last year and he turned it down expecting to get a better offer out there. Then they signed Morales because they thought the 1B market was going to move quickly. It didn't.

The free agent market is moving so slowly this year. They don't want to overpay for Yelich or Cain. And those are the guys that need to move before the rest of the dominos start to fall. And after Yelich, Cain and JD Martinez, there's not much left to the OF market.

Same goes for pitching. They're not gonna pay for Arrieta. They could go after Cobb, but he probably has better offers out there. And he won't even accept those.

I think it's a combo of the market being risk-averse and the market moving at a snail's pace. 

2 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

I just wish we would sign either Darvish or Arrieta or both. I just want to know where we stand! :( 

I would be shocked if Cobb doesn't sign with the Cubs. 

On 06/01/2018 at 14:47, Meacon said:

Yeah the O’s should bring back Palmeiro, Ripken, and Brady Anderson. You all aren’t gonna compete anyway, may as well sell some extra tickets.

I'm not sure baseball players can do a job in non-league.

I want the Jays to get one outfielder. I'm not OK with Carrera being an everyday guy. If they can go Teoscar Hernandez - Pillar - ____________ (like Cain, or maybe Duvall if the price is OK), I'd be OK. 

4 hours ago, Toe said:

I want the Jays to get one outfielder. I'm not OK with Carrera being an everyday guy. If they can go Teoscar Hernandez - Pillar - ____________ (like Cain, or maybe Duvall if the price is OK), I'd be OK. 

It sounds like they are pushing to make an upgrade in the field, but I wouldn't be opposed to them having a competition in spring training with the young guys. Alford is so close to being ready, that I don't hate the idea of him starting the year with the Jays if it means Carrera is just there to give the OFs a day off here and there.

Just now, Gabriel said:

It sounds like they are pushing to make an upgrade in the field, but I wouldn't be opposed to them having a competition in spring training with the young guys. Alford is so close to being ready, that I don't hate the idea of him starting the year with the Jays if it means Carrera is just there to give the OFs a day off here and there.

What's the latest on Dalton Pompey? When's he gonna be ready? I had high hopes for him a couple years ago.