Whedon Signed for X3?

Ananas

Whedon on X3?!    Sep. 8, 2004

Source: CHUD, Production Weekly  by: Mike Sampson

While talking to JoBlo.com on the set of his latest film SERENITY (the feature adaptation of TV series "Firefly"), writer/director Joss Whedon expressed interest in taking over the reigns of the X-MEN franchise now that Bryan Singer has moved on to SUPERMAN (and subsequently been booted off the Fox lot). Whedon wanting to direct X3 isn't breaking news but Whedon actually directing X3 is. CHUD is reporting that industry publication Production Weekly states Whedon will direct X-MEN 3 with filming set to begin next June in Vancouver. For those unaware of what Production Weekly is, it's a subscription based web, e-mail or fax listing of all the latest breakdowns of production data. Usually they're very, very reliable and often times beat the trades to a story by a day or so. But so far, there has been no other confirmation to this news other than what CHUD is reporting Production Weekly has printed. We'll send out some feelers today and hopefully have some type of confirmation later in the day. Stay tuned for updates... Meanwhile, what are your thoughts on Whedon taking over the X-MEN franchise?...

Guest Angry Baboon

Ugh, he'll ruin it. A Comic book nerd doing a comic book film with fuck it up for everyone but the Comic book nerds themselves. Spiderman and X-Men were great because the directors didn't know shit about the comic books themselves, removing to an extent the cheese factor.

Ugh, he'll ruin it. A Comic book nerd doing a comic book film with fuck it up for everyone but the Comic book nerds themselves. Spiderman and X-Men were great because the directors didn't know shit about the comic books themselves, removing to an extent the cheese factor.

David Hayter who wrote both X-Men I do believe is a comic fan. And Raimi's no stranger to making a Super Hero movie, Ash is a Super Hero afterall.

Either way, Whedon's writing and directing has always been rock solid so I don't see how you can make that assumption. Besides, the thing that made Spider-Man and X-Men so great was not that the directors/writers weren't fans, it was the fact that they were actually given a decent budget and they were made to actually be quality films unlike any 60s, 70s, or 80s comic book movies (besides Burton's Batman). Recent flops like The Punisher didn't live up to the hype because it was just Hollywood cashing in on the comic-movie surge (again). Anyway, I see this as nothing but good news and I can't think of anyone better to do it. Give it to some serious director and they'll ruin it, turning into something it's not. And then the other option is giving it to some shit director like McG. So Whedon is a natural choice because he knows comics, but he also knows how to write and direct.

Whedon screwed up Alien Resurrection, it's entirely possible that he screws up X-Men 3.

Hey! Alien: Resurection was good for what it was suppose to be!

I, for one, think this nothing but good. The work he's been doing on the X-Men comics of late shows he knows about comics. The work he's done with Buffy and Angel shows he knows how to make a successful TV series. I have no doubt he can make a good X-Men film. Only a total idiot could possibly fuck it up, and Joss ain't an idiot.

Whedon screwed up Alien Resurrection, it's entirely possible that he screws up X-Men 3.

Yes, but that script also underwent serious re-writes, just like the script for the original Buffy movie. Not to mention Joss didn't direct it. I think if Whedon would have been allowed to write and direct both movies, they would have been much better.

Yes, but that script also underwent serious re-writes, just like the script for the original Buffy movie. Not to mention Joss didn't direct it. I think if Whedon would have been allowed to write and direct both movies, they would have been much better.

Let's just hope he had more control and money than he had with the Buffy Film.

He should do. Back then, he wasn't really well known, and the idea of Buffy wasn't exactly loved. Now he's known VERY well and is a respected writer and director. For the money side, he'll get a friggin huge budget because the second got more than the first, and so the same will happen with the third.