Let's all go to the movies

Guest El Blanco

Guest El Blanco

First Look at the Fantastic Four!

Source: USA Today September 21, 2004

albaff.jpg

USA Today has published this first picture of Jessica Alba as Sue Storm online, plus we've added five additional scans of the characters shown in today's newspaper, from 20th Century Fox's anticipated Fantastic Four adaptation. Here's how they describe the four members:

• Jessica Alba, 23, star of TV's Dark Angel, is Sue Storm, also known as the Invisible Woman, who has a romance with Reed.

• Welshman Ioan Gruffudd, 30, goes from Lancelot in King Arthur to scientist Reed Richards, whose Mr. Fantastic has the ability to stretch.

• Chris Evans, 23, currently seen in Cellular, is Sue's bro Johnny, a cocky pilot who turns up the heat as the Human Torch.

• The most recognizable face is also the most covered. Veteran actor Michael Chiklis, 41, of TV's The Shield, will grumble his way through the role of Ben Grimm, aka the Thing, a boulder-bodied mound of power whose battle cry is "It's clobberin' time!"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest El Blanco

Scary Movie 3 Team Tackles Superhero!

Source: Variety September 21, 2004

Dimension Films has set its Scary Movie 3 team of David Zucker, Craig Mazin and Robert Weiss to tackle Superhero!, reports Variety.

The trade says the comedy will poke fun at the multitude of superhero films, from Spider-Man to next summer's Batman Begins and Fantastic Four. Mazin will script, Zucker will direct and Weiss is producing.

The trio also is continuing work on Scary Movie 4, which is a Dimension priority given that the third film made $110 million.

Dimension Films co-chairman Bob Weinstein and co-presidents Brad Weston and Andrew Rona signed them to work on both the Superhero! and Scary Movie 4 scripts at the same time. It is considered likely that Superhero! will go into production next spring, with Scary Movie 4 to follow.

Guest El Blanco

Rosamund Pike Aboard Doom Adaptation

Source: The Hollywood Reporter September 22, 2004

British actress Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day) will star in Universal Pictures' upcoming video game adaptation Doom, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Pike will play a scientist opposite Karl Urban, who will play the leader of a special-ops team at the center of the action-adventure film, to be directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak and written by Dave Callaham. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson also is set to take a leading role.

Pike is currently filming Pride and Prejudice for Working Title/Universal opposite Keira Knightley. She also will be seen opposite Johnny Depp and Samantha Morton in Laurence Dunmore's film The Libertine.

Rosamund Pike Aboard Doom Adaptation

British actress Rosamund Pike (Die Another Day) will star in Universal Pictures' upcoming video game adaptation Doom, says The Hollywood Reporter.

Pike will play a scientist opposite Karl Urban, who will play the leader of a special-ops team at the center of the action-adventure film, to be directed by Andrzej Bartkowiak and written by Dave Callaham. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson also is set to take a leading role.

Pike is currently filming Pride and Prejudice for Working Title/Universal opposite Keira Knightley. She also will be seen opposite Johnny Depp and Samantha Morton in Laurence Dunmore's film The Libertine.

The only 007 movie I haven't seen. Was it any good. I havn't heard of this actress before.

Guest El Blanco

Warner Bros. Moves Back Alexander

Source: Warner Bros. Pictures September 22, 2004

Warner Bros. Pictures announced today that it is moving the opening date of its Oliver Stone-directed epic Alexander, from November 5th to November 24th. The announcement was made by Dan Fellman, President of Domestic Distribution for Warner Bros. Pictures. The film stars Colin Farrell as the legendary conqueror, joined by Angelina Jolie and Anthony Hopkins.

Stated Fellman, "We think that moving 'Alexander' to November 24th positions it better for Academy consideration and demonstrates our pride and excitement about the movie. We have gotten some very strong positive early reaction, and believe that this date at the end of the month will enable us to get the kind of media attention that might have been compromised closer to election time."

Alexander is based on the true story of one of history's most luminous and influential leaders, Alexander the Great -– a man who had conquered 90% of the known world by the age of 27. Alexander led his virtually invincible Greek and Macedonian armies through 22,000 miles of sieges and conquests in just eight years, and by the time of his death at the age of 32 had forged an empire unlike any the world had ever seen. The film chronicles Alexander's path to becoming a living legend, from a youth fueled by dreams of myth, glory and adventure to his lonely death as a ruler of a vast Empire.

Guest El Blanco

Terminator 4 Production to start in 2005

Source: Variety September 24, 2004

Terminator 4 is ready to start production in 2005, but will Arnold Schwarzenegger be back? Variety reports that Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines writers John Brancato and Michael Ferris have completed a draft of a script that was developed under the supervision of "T3" director Jonathan Mostow.

The trade adds that C2 partners Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna are returning as producers, and "T3" financier Intermedia, which has underwritten development so far, will begin the process of setting up the budget for the picture.

Mostow is expected to next direct an untitled thriller he wrote for Paramount. Intermedia will open formal negotiations shortly for a deal that would make "T4" Mostow's next directing job. Intermedia will also meet soon with Warner Bros. Pictures and Sony Pictures, who distributed "T3" domestically and internationally, respectively. Both of the studios have an option to serve the same roles in the fourth film.

Schwarzenegger's availability is the big question mark, since he is the governor of California. There's already been talks for Arnold to return, but it would likely be in a limited role. Variety adds that the expectation is that "T4" will break in a new terminator model.

There's no word yet whether or not Nick Stahl or Claire Danes will return.

Edited by El Blanco

Terminator 4 is ready to start production in 2005, but will Arnold Schwarzenegger be back? Variety reports that Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines writers John Brancato and Michael Ferris have completed a draft of a script that was developed under the supervision of "T3" director Jonathan Mostow.

The trade adds that C2 partners Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna are returning as producers, and "T3" financier Intermedia, which has underwritten development so far, will begin the process of setting up the budget for the picture.

Mostow is expected to next direct an untitled thriller he wrote for Paramount. Intermedia will open formal negotiations shortly for a deal that would make "T4" Mostow's next directing job. Intermedia will also meet soon with Warner Bros. Pictures and Sony Pictures, who distributed "T3" domestically and internationally, respectively. Both of the studios have an option to serve the same roles in the fourth film.

Schwarzenegger's availability is the big question mark, since he is the governor of California. There's already been talks for Arnold to return, but it would likely be in a limited role. Variety adds that the expectation is that "T4" will break in a new terminator model.

Peronsally I wasn't happy with Terminator 3 and my favorite of the films would have to be T-2

Guest El Blanco

Various DVD News

The Star Wars Trilogy generated $115 million in worldwide sales during its first day in release Tuesday, but that figure from executives at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment also includes sales of the "Star Wars Battlefront" video game, says The Hollywood Reporter. Unit sales numbers were not available yet, though sales are expected to be strong through the holiday season.

Last week's top-selling and -renting DVD was Fox's Man on Fire, which sold about 1.5 million combined DVD and VHS units during its first day on retail shelves September 14. It generated an estimated $11.6 million in rental spending, or 14.9% of its domestic boxoffice take.

Warner Home Video's Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed was the second-best-selling DVD and VHS last week and was fourth-best-renting title, generating an estimated $6.17 million in rental spending, or 7.3% of its domestic boxoffice.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment's Home on the Range was the nation's top-selling VHS and the third-best-selling DVD. The film generated an estimated $1.78 million in rental spending during its first five days in release.

From imdb

Terminator Will Be Back Without Schwarzenegger

The next installment of the Terminator series will hit cinema screens in 2005 - but reportedly without Arnold Schwarzenegger. Schwarzenegger recently ditched acting for politics by becoming governor of California and, according to sources, his part in Terminator 4 will be reduced to a cameo role, while a new robot takes the limelight. A draft of the screenplay has just been completed by Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines writers John Brancato and Michael Ferris. Sources say it is about what happens when the world's computer systems are infected by viruses.

Empire magazine which is my number one source I trust (along with Jonathan Ross) says that Sky Captain is pretty average and that acting in front of the blue screens all the time makes the acting pretty wooden. Though Ross says it's a great film.

Saw Hero the other day (being in the UK we tend to get films later) and I thought it was magnificent. Roll on House Of Flying Daggers.

Also OldBoy looks fantastic and Empire says it is (although the live octopus eating scene has probably been cut grrrr). Resident Evil Apocalypse also looks like loads of fun. I enjoyed the first one and Milllla is loverly.

Peronsally I wasn't happy with Terminator 3 and my favorite of the films would have to be T-2

If they don't do anything stupid with it, I think T4 won't be too bad. I think theyshould hold off from it until they can guarantee Schwarzenegger's return. It wouldn't be the Terminator without him.

Hah hah well Alien ain't alien without Siqourney Weaver but that didn't stop the idiots from thinking AVP would be a good idea.

Guest El Blanco

Rosemary's Baby Miniseries Coming

Source: Variety September 29, 2004

ABC has made a deal to turn Ira Levin's horror classic Rosemary's Baby into a four-hour miniseries that will put Satan's spawn on track for a 2005 airdate, reports Variety. The potential pact gives the network rights to use the famed book along with a lesser-known sequel novel, Son of Rosemary.

Lieberman, who expects the network to secure a writer shortly, said most of the mini will be a fairly faithful retelling of Rosemary's Baby but will likely pick up the story years later, when Rosemary's son becomes a teenager.

The 1968 Paramount original, directed by Roman Polanski, starred Mia Farrow and John Cassavetes.

Two updates from IMDB:

Bond Put on Hold Until 2006

Although much was made about Sony's acquisition of the James Bond franchise as part of its recent purchase of MGM, the studio confirmed Wednesday that it would not be able to deliver a new 007 movie on Nov. 18, 2005 as planned. MGM blamed the delay on its inability to find a director. It did not mention the fact that Pierce Brosnan has previously indicated that he is likely to walk away from the role. (Brosnan on Wednesday denied that he had said no to another sally as Bond; other reports have suggested that he has not been asked.) The script for the 21st Bond film has already been compleed by Neal Purvis and Robert Wade, who also wrote Die Another Day and The World Is Not Enough. It is said to rely more on character and intrigue than on special effects.

Brooks To Make Sequel to 'Spaceballs'

A day after announcing plans to film the movie version of his Broadway musical The Producers in New York, Mel Brooks is being quoted as saying that he is currently working on the script for a sequel to his 1987 Star Wars spoof Spaceballs that he would like to rush into production. Asked by Playbill magazine when the film is likely to hit the screen, Brooks replied: "Best case scenario: a week before the new Star Wars opens. Worst Case Scenario: a year after the new Star Wars opens." The new Star Wars movie, Revenge of the Sith, is due to open on May 19, 2005. Brooks also indicated that he will appear in the sequel (although, he said, he won't have a role in The Producers). "It wouldn't feel right to have anyone else play Yoghurt, and the first one was the best experience I've had making a movie since Blazing Saddles," he said.

Guest El Blanco

Simon Kinberg to Write X-Men 3!

Source: The Hollywood Reporter October 1, 2004

20th Century Fox and Marvel Studios are moving forward with X-Men 3, hiring screenwriter Simon Kinberg to write the script, says The Hollywood Reporter. For the studio, Kinberg also wrote Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and did rewrites for Elektra and Fantastic Four.

Kinberg told the trade that the storyline is still being hammered out. "I'm a religious reader of the ('X-Men') comics, and I loved the first two movies," Kinberg said. "I had a great experience with Fox and Marvel on the other projects, and when they came to me and asked me if I had any interest in 'X3,' I was ecstatic. I grew up on them, and I love these comics, and it's exciting to take a whack at making the third the biggest and best in the trilogy; it's our 'Return of the King."'

The film's producers are targeting a Summer start and are starting to meet with directors to replace Bryan Singer, who helmed the first two "X-Men" movies. Deals have yet to be worked out for the actors to return, but they are all expected to reprise their roles.

Kinberg has also written XXX: State of the Union for Sony and is developing The Lost Years of Merlin for Dimension Films.

Smith controls Star Wars?    Oct. 1, 2004

Source: IESB, UGO  by: Omar Aviles

Kevin Smith news article pic Before I get to the Star Wars news, I wanted to point out a feature on Kevin Smith that UGO recently put up. They have interviews with Smith as well as the cast of CLERKS promoting the CLERKS X dvd. It's very informative and entertaining especially since the stars of the upcoming CLERKS sequel, Brian O'Halloran and Jeff Anderson, talk a little about the sequel and Smith talks a little about his other upcoming projects. Check that out here.

So it seems that Kevin Smith may get his hands on STAR WARS when it makes the transition from the big to the small screen. In an interview with USA Today, George Lucas mentioned the possibility of moving the franchise into tv territory, stating "ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it…" The folks over at Inland Empire Strikes Back did some scooping and found out that Lucas may be thinking about handing over creative control of a possible tv series to Smith. Does that mean we'll finally get to hear Luke call a Sith Lord a c*ck smoking f*cknut? I'm guessing no but it would definitely be cool to see what Smith could do with the franchise. Check out the full article here.