WWE 2K19

Owen

NBA 2K18 was basically unplayable with the VC nonsense. It behaved like a mobile game except it was a full price console game.

It's getting ridiculous. Game prices have gone up and you get less game. Every game is a down payment for an investment if you want to take it seriously.

4 hours ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

$130???????  Four of the exclusive characters were already in last year's game :lol:

tbf, the $130 version is more for the physical Flair stuff, whereas the standard deluxe edition with just the game and the “exclusive” DLC is something like $80

1 hour ago, TCO said:

NBA 2K18 was basically unplayable with the VC nonsense. It behaved like a mobile game except it was a full price console game.

It's getting ridiculous. Game prices have gone up and you get less game. Every game is a down payment for an investment if you want to take it seriously.

2K has been a particularly bad offender in this regard. It's good to see that there's been a pushback among consumers, and this has led to loot boxes being removed from Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Middle Earth: Shadow of War. On the other hand, 2K seems to have stuck to its guns and got away with it.

The sad thing is that micro-transactions really can't be considered "micro" now, given that you're expected to fork out considerable sums of money for stat upgrades and suchlike. Essentially, companies like this are creating a problem to sell a solution, and I don't like it.

11 minutes ago, Apsham said:

I'm going to pretend that Fire Pro is going to make the slightest dent and make them put their heads on straight, but I know it won't.

If Fire Pro can get us a management mode that tracks stats, feuds and the such... the amount of hardcore fans who abandon the 2K series may be enough to cause them some issues, but the big question is how they would react to it. Instead of giving us what we want, it's much more likely that 2K would remove a bunch of stuff, and then brag about how they are new additions to the next iteration of the game.

Except, they already do that.

I enjoy the gameplay in the 2K series enough, despite there being obvious errors that need fixing, but the restrictions on CAWs, and the broken Universe mode are frustrating as hell. Seriously, just give me a mode where I can choose from a bunch of stories that have branching paths based on match outcomes to assign to a feud... and the ability to turn off ring announcers (to avoid the god awful announcements for CAWs) and I'll be happy. I also am aware that Microsoft and Sony have restrictions on additional content, but I feel like download limits should literally just be how much hard drive space you have left.

It would also be great if they actually tried to expand the legends roster, as opposed to removing a couple and adding one, and then making characters who were previously in the game Pre-Ordr Bonuses and/or DLC.

Ignoring everything else about the games, it's clear that Spike Chunsoft is concerned with making a game for the fans, and 2K is concerned with getting as much money as possible for as little effort as they can expend.

Edited by Gabriel

I’m officially out for this year’s game. I barely played 2K18 and don’t see how this version will be any different. Even the modelling is lazy year after year. You get CAW’s that look better than the in-game characters. 

I think Fire Pro will be enough to cure my wrestling gaming itch, its playability is better and the rosters you can accumulate are insane, and you don’t have to sit at a loading screen for 2-3 minutes when using them.

4 hours ago, Apsham said:

Yeah, fuck these guys. Ugh. This is what we're stuck with for WWE games. Note the purchasesable loot pack and boost buttons on the tower screenshots - not that they didn't telegraph that from a mile off.

To be fair, last year's game had a loot pack store too but it was all in-game currency.  But it certainly doesn't look good.

In any event, while I always like partaking in discussion about the upcoming game, I was always gonna be out on this one with Fire Pro.  Last year the game was out a few weeks and I wound up caving only to sorely regret it.  Not this year.

1 hour ago, Busch Luck Fale said:

To be fair, last year's game had a loot pack store too but it was all in-game currency.  But it certainly doesn't look good.

In any event, while I always like partaking in discussion about the upcoming game, I was always gonna be out on this one with Fire Pro.  Last year the game was out a few weeks and I wound up caving only to sorely regret it.  Not this year.

That's what I'm talking about - in-game currency yeah, but if you were going to unlock everything in that game by not buying the accelerator, etc - you'd be screwed because that is once again the same currency that you are using to upgrade your character, etc. It's easing people into buying packs of 2K bucks or whatever the hell they are calling it.

I've got no issue with the game having a built in currency system but my issue with the last one was the absurd amount you needed. Fuck paying real money though. These aren't free mobile games.

Built in currency can be fine and all - but when it clearly costs so much to grab everything, it's a clear sign that they're pushing you towards plopping down the money for the accelerator. If getting more money out of you wasn't the goal, it would just go back to unlocking stuff in a different way.

And 2K doesn't have a good history of making in-game currency fair. Every year that NBA 2K comes out people are instantly finding a way to spam VC the fastest in order to actually be able to enjoy the game they bought.

I feel as though having to complete certain challenges to unlock wrestlers is bullshit anyway. 

I’m going to be pissed if I bought a football game, or a basketball game and found that I have to beat Team X 5 times on hard difficulty in order to play as the LA Lakers or something. 

For a period of time I think it was kinda fair - all you had to do was play the story mode stuff they put in and you'd get it... but in those days it was very little that was locked and it was easy enough to power through the story mode stuff and get it all in short order. But now it's a shit ton of stuff. You still get the current roster but when the selling point is "more wrestlers than ever" and you either pay or ignore levelling up your character... in the mode that gives you the currency to buy the stuff, but you also need to level up with that currency... yeah.

• Like 1