UEFA Champions League 2018/19

Lineker

7 minutes ago, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

Tottenham were 12 minutes away from being eliminated by PSV Eindhoven after four group games.

I just heard this on the radio and it immediately reminded me of Steven Gerrard scoring a screamer to send Liverpool through the group stage against Olympiakos in 2005. Seconds away from elimination, and they ultimately lifted the trophy.

Just now, Adam said:

I just heard this on the radio and it immediately reminded me of Steven Gerrard scoring a screamer to send Liverpool through the group stage against Olympiakos in 2005. Seconds away from elimination, and they ultimately lifted the trophy.

Careful, Lineker can only get so erect

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be honest. I have no idea how Llorente's goal can be allowed to stand. That's got to be handball. It goes in off his elbow!

What an incredible game of football though. My goodness. Happy for all Spurs fans!

Edited by It's Pronounced Zoom-E

1 minute ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

I'll be honest. I have no idea how Llorente's goal can be allowed to stand. That's got to be handball. It goes in off his elbow!

What an incredible game of football though. My goodness. Happy for all Spurs fans!

It didn't go in off his elbow. It scraped his elbow and went in off his hip...and potentially off the hand of the defender (which was on his hip) who had both hands on him.

Honestly, I have no idea about handballs etc in the Champions League these days. Rose's last week wouldn't have been given in the Prem but was given as a penalty in a defensive position. One thing's for certain, the ball touching Llorente's elbow didn't change the direction of the ball whatsoever or the flow of the game. And I have no idea what that means in CL this season.

His arm is pressed to his torso, there is no way you can say that was a handball. It has grazed his elbow on its way down, where else is his elbow supposed to be at that moment? No way is that an infringement.

Both VAR decisions are correct, from what I have seen. A shining example of why we need it. Imagine if we didn't have it and City won with that offside goal, it would have been a huge injustice against Spurs. This is what it's for.

No way was that intentional handball. Llorente would have to suck his elbow into his gut to get it out of the way AND it would have made no difference if it hit his hip or side instead.

31 minutes ago, MDK said:

Careful, Lineker can only get so erect

We're getting impatient for little Linekers.

• Haha 2

I'm not even sure the ball hit his forearm/ elbow at all, if it did it made no difference to the trajectory of the ball and it definitely went in off his thigh/ knee. Definitely the correct decision to allow the goal to stand.

Only downside to that result for me is that my only interest in the title race is now a bet on Liverpool to win it. I wanted City to do the quadruple but a treble without the CL is only inferior to scums 99 treble so that means nothing. I might as well win the 20 quid on a Liverpool title win now. 

Came back from 3 days away with mids last night and was far too knackered to watch this, but having seen the score 20 mins in I recorded the highlights. Insane game of football. So good from De Bruyne, Sterling becoming a finisher is amazing to watch, and then just when you start pulling for Spurs a bit you see Dele Alli and start hoping that last goal was onside.

Love the fact that Llorente won it with his arse. Proper football.

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Came back from 3 days away with mids last night and was far too knackered to watch this, but having seen the score 20 mins in I recorded the highlights. Insane game of football. So good from De Bruyne, Sterling becoming a finisher is amazing to watch, and then just when you start pulling for Spurs a bit you see Dele Alli and start hoping that last goal was onside.

Love the fact that Llorente won it with his arse. Proper football.

ey? 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

ey? 

He's a bellend mate. Even in the ten minutes highlights package I saw he was getting chewy twice for no particular reason. You've got a team of likeable superstars in Son and Ericsson, plus that knobhead.

I'm very happy for Llorente, he's taken a lot of stick about being a bit pointless at Spurs and now it's all worth it.

Also, having watched the highlights I don't think it even touched his elbow. Seems to come bouncing straight off his upper thigh and in to the net.

• Like 1