NBA 2018-2019 Season

Pooker

Figured since the first big move of the off season just happened and with the draft tomorrow, it would be ok to start a new season thread. 

The Hornets have agreed to trade Dwight Howard to the Nets for Timothy Mozgov. 

• Like 1

"Charlotte traded Dwight Howard to Brooklyn for Timofey Mozgov, two second-rounders and cash considerations."

I think this puts further stock into the possibility of Kemba Walker being traded too, between him and Batum they really don't have anyone that could elevate the team beyond the bottom of the east. Kemba especially is in his peak years, so I imagine he'll want to actually be with a team that has upward mobility, and the Hornets aren't that team.

In other news, Luca Doncic is unreal! A step-back one-legged floater for three.
https://streamable.com/sbuf6

In other news, Pop is meeting with Kawhi today. On one hand, I want them to patch things up and for Kawhi to be the star of the team again. On the other hand, I'm weirdly intrigued by a potential LeBron and Leonard team-up.

2 hours ago, Tyrone said:

In other news, Pop is meeting with Kawhi today. On one hand, I want them to patch things up and for Kawhi to be the star of the team again. On the other hand, I'm weirdly intrigued by a potential LeBron and Leonard team-up.

Weirdly just want this Leonard saga over and done with. Don't see him staying for long, what with Pop retiring in a couple of years and he himself wanting to go to LA.

I don't think Dwight getting traded for shit players is indicative of his basketball ability and his on-court value, but more importantly indicative of him being a 32 year old being paid 24 million a year. At the same time, he's had the unfortunate luck of choosing to sign on with the Hawks which promptly went into rebuild mode, causing the Hawks to trade him for pennies, then arrived at the Hornets, had a near full season (81 games) of being a damn good center still, but then the Hornets promptly chose to go into rebuild mode too. The Nets are also in a state of flux right now, but he'll play well with Lin and Russ.

At the same time, whilst he's still a phenomenal player under the boards the game has evolved in such a way that a dominant big guy such as him isn't the most interesting player to put at the five anymore. The center position is becoming more and more focused on smaller more mobile players that stay in the mid-range to 3pt position to keep space to run in. Dwight is very much a classic center capable of being a beast still, but there's not many teams looking for that kind of player right now.

Also, nobody wants to pay 24M for an aging center with an old-school skillset that also has a wonky injury history AND personality issues with teams he's been on.

Dwight's like the last samurai, he's fucking deadly with a sword, but everyone's carrying rifles.

But I personally think that Dwight can be a star on any team still, but he's a white elephant in that he's simply too expensive for teams to want his contract dragging the rest of the team down.

Reports are Dwight was not well liked in the Hornets locker room. Basically same song, different city. And Nets don't want him either, they just wanted to unload Mozgov. Nets are buying Dwight out now.

Dwight Howard and the Brooklyn Nets will begin discussions on a buyout.

Howard will join the 2018 free agency class on July 6th when the trade becomes official.

The Nets acquired Howard on Wednesday from the Charlotte Hornets.

For the Nets, acquiring Howard was about unloading the contract of Timofey Mozgov to become a free agent destination with cap space in 2019.

20 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Knox over Porter?

That medical report on Porter must be the drizzles. I'm bummed by Knox over Porter. The lame thing is I don't know if it's for medical reasons or if we just continue to suck ass at drafting. 

11 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Mavs get Doncic woooooo

Yeah, my buddy is a huge Dallas fan, and he's annoying the hell out of me about it. Yeah, yeah. Good for you. <_< 

Just now, The Chiksrara Special said:

Maybe I missed something by not watching but why select a guy at 11 and then trade him for the guy selected 12th? Why not just select that guy you wanted in the first place?

Because the team with the 12th pick is likely giving you something extra in return for the guy you took at 11.