The 2018/19 NHL Thread!

Ruki

• 4 weeks later...

If I'm looking at $19.99 per month for NHL.tv, how much would that be across the whole season?

I'm wondering whether it is just worth sticking $119.99 straight up on the season - I'm thinking it will be, but that's a significant outlay if paying monthly isn't too too much.

1 minute ago, Chip Pisser Byrne said:

If I'm looking at $19.99 per month for NHL.tv, how much would that be across the whole season?

I'm wondering whether it is just worth sticking $119.99 straight up on the season - I'm thinking it will be, but that's a significant outlay if paying monthly isn't too too much.

Technically, there's only 9 months in the season including the playoffs. Unless you count the pre-season. That makes 10. At 10 months, $20 a month would be $200. $180 if you skip the pre-season. You basically save $60-$80 by paying for the whole season up front. I'm fortunate that I can do that this year, but man does that ever suck when you just don't have the funds to do it all at once. It's a lot easier to justify $20 payments every month than a one time payment of $120, when you're not well off financially, but if you can save up or sell something to do the whole season payment, I'd suggest that.

• Like 1

There are a lot of (wishful, perhaps) rumors that he's gonna take over in Detroit after this season. Holland has 2 years left on his contract, so it would be easy to move him into a new position in his last year and bring Yzerman on board.

He lives around there still, despite working for TB, and it's reasonable to assume his hope was always to be GM there.

Also, I'm sure we all know by now but Pacioretty got traded to Vegas. Vegas gave up a good amount for him, and the deal looks not that great for them when you consider what they gave up just in Feb for Tatar. Also, Vegas is paying a portion of Tatar's salary each season, to reduce the AAV against Montreal. Nick Suzuki is a very good get and a potential top line center (in a pool of what's becoming quite a few). They also got a 2nd round draft pick. Vegas immediately gave Max a 4 year extension, a bit below what he wanted in dollars but still good at $7 mil/yr.

It's incredible that a GM that had Pacioretty, Subban, and Price all together at the same time in their early 20s managed to completely botch the whole thing. But that's Bergevin.

29 minutes ago, Ruki said:

Ottawa traded Erik Karlsson to the sharks...

The trade is so bad for the Sens. They even have a clause in there where if the Sharks send him to the east (like with Hoffman), they get another 1st.

What the hell were the other teams offering is what I really want to know. Like, I can see Vegas potentially not having that after just doing the Pacioretty trade but Dallas absolutely could have topped that. Speaking of Dallas they signed Seguin to a massive contract today.

Also Vlasic is the 3rd best defenseman on his team, that is just absurd. Sharks are going to be a very tough team to beat.

My guess is that Dallas wasn't confident that the could fit Karlsson under the cap long term without having to move core pieces out, and they probably didn't want to give up a bunch of assets for one year of Erik Karlsson.

Realistically, if the Sharks don't win the Cup this year and Karlsson moves on to another team through free agency, then Ottawa wins this trade. That's a pretty good get for a guy who clearly wasn't going to be sticking around, and who is probably going to test free agency on July 1st.

Now, if Karlsson had signed an extension, or if he signs one with San Jose, this could be a coup for the Sharks... because Karlsson long-term is worth significantly more than the Senators received. I don't believe he signs an extension with San Jose though. I think we'll be looking back on this deal in a year and laughing at the Sharks when they don't make it out of the first round of the playoffs and Karlsson is wearing a different jersey, lined in diamonds and gold from all that free agent money he's going to get.