EWB Musicians

VerBlue Christmas

For the record, the songs that I'm thinking are:

Misfits - Saturday Night... Michale Graves - Train to the End of the World... Argyle Goolsby - Save Me Tonight... Argyle Goolsby - The Wild Branch of Rose... Argyle Goolsby - Mary and the Storm... Argyle Goolsby - Blood Cave

1 hour ago, VerbalPuke said:

If I wasn’t shit I’d do it for free. 

I think you should give it a go anyway and see what comes.

8 minutes ago, ClouDOOM said:

I think you should give it a go anyway and see what comes.

Even if you just do one or two, that's cool. But realistically, if it turns out not so great, my wife won't care. If it turns out well, I was going to talk to whoever helps out about posting it online for free download.

I've got a project called Jack and the Rippers that I'm doing with random people, and originally envisioned it as a work-online collaboration. The idea being that it would be entirely covers, and the lineup is basically me and whoever contributes to each song. Nothing has been uploaded as of yet, because everyone seems to bail out before we get anything recorded. I had one guy helping me out and we recorded about four songs in 2017. I made the mistake of letting him keep everything on his computer, because he has been in legit bands and have better software than I do... but he ended up deleting everything after I told him that I didn't want to spend money to go record covers in a studio, because I didn't want to charge anything for the music itself.

So there's no real pressure from my end. Just thought it would be a cool little gift for the wife, because she seems to really be happy when she hears me singing, and she's gotten into these bands through me.

4 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

I mean, I always thought it would be cool if us on EWB shared riffs, bass lines, drum beats, whatever. It would be fun, I just don’t think I’m as good as I’d like.

If you can play any of those songs all the way through, you're infinitely better than I am. I'm a self taught bassist, but I have the hardest time with the guitar.

Seriously though, man. If you wanna give any of them a try, I'd appreciate the hell out of it. If not, that's cool too. Maybe someone else will jump on it.

I'm looking at getting this

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rogue/LX200BL-Left-Handed-Series-III-Electric-Bass-Guitar.gc

Yes? No? Anyone got any experience with guitars/basses by Rogue? It seems like a good, relatively inexpensive learner bass.

Just now, VerbalPuke said:

Looks like a good starter. You're a lefty? Left handed instruments can be expensive so this isn't a bad get, could probably be modded if you wanted at some point. The blue is really nice. 

Yeah, I'm left-handed. I've been learning to play the guitar right-handed, but I would like to play bass left. I'm only learning guitar with my right because the only guitar available to me is a standard, righty guitar. 

And yeah. I think a normal bass is like $10-$20 cheaper, but $110 doesn't seem so bad.

I cleared a wall to put some guitar stands and my eventual bass guitar and my acoustic. And my ukulele. And my keyboard. Once those finally get shipped to me. :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

50265755_2158999864123046_13367618416358

Just got a new 9 guitar holding stand. My acoustic is on its own stand because it’s kind of a wide load. It’s really nice to have all of them at such convenient disposal (before this they were in cases with only one being out on the single stand).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, metalman said:

You have a banjo? Cool!

Yeah! Just got it for Christmas, and it’s a lot of fun. I really like blue grass music and wanted to learn an instrument that isn’t as common as the usual rock and roll stuff. So I opted for a five string banjo, which I’m trying to play Scruggs style, learning rolls, etc. 

Playing guitar and bass prior certainly helped. But having different tuning and a string that stops at the 5th fret really throws me off.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a recording I did a few nights ago. I just came up with a really simple chord progression that I could throw an easy bass line on (starts off E, F, F#, G...so just playing open E, then fret 1-2-3) and then a rhythm of E-G-A. The bass is a bit overpowering but I took the volume down a bit so you can sorta hear the guitar. I'm still figuring out stuff like positioning the mic, mastering, etc. 

So here is me playing guitar, bass, and I added some tambourine with reverb to add a bit of percussion. 

I also a really basic ass banjo/guitar thing that I want to re-record, or maybe I"ll just upload it as is. I don't know, it's bad but it's mine. 

• Like 4

I'm still terrible a month and a half in, but I'm getting better and better quickly it seems. I'm still not good, but I've learned what each note each fret is, and I'm slowly but surely getting faster and smoother moving to those notes. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have this silly idea about singing a song and posting it. Trying to figure out what I want to sing though - right now the leading candidate is Townes Van Zandt's "Waitin' Around To Die". 

On 06/02/2019 at 22:28, Meacon said:

I'm still terrible a month and a half in, but I'm getting better and better quickly it seems. I'm still not good, but I've learned what each note each fret is, and I'm slowly but surely getting faster and smoother moving to those notes. 

Do you already know the whole fretboard? That’s really good. That will help immensely when you jam with somebody else, you’ll know where to go with what they play. 

Or, if you everywhere you can play a specific note you can play the same note in different spots to shake things up a bit.

On 15/02/2019 at 17:48, Howdy Cloudy said:

I have this silly idea about singing a song and posting it. Trying to figure out what I want to sing though - right now the leading candidate is Townes Van Zandt's "Waitin' Around To Die". 

I'll do it if you do it. 

On 19/02/2019 at 20:04, VerbalPuke said:

I'll do it if you do it. 

I'll try to record something this weekend then.

oh god it sounds awful but I'll upload it.

Someone tell me if this loads, because it won't play for me. 

Hear my mighty mumbling and despair, mortals! As I ruin a perfectly good song!

• Thanks 1

Why do I leave off the "s" in the word "sometimes"? Why do I randomly leave out words? Is it anxiety? Is it because I suck? Is it because my anxiety sucks?! Listen and find out!