EWB Musicians

VerbalPuke

52 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Heck yeah, what did you get? Like a Korg Volca for the mini synth?

Correct. And the Korg drum machine. I'll probably mess around for a few weeks before I record anything. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I finally am starting to break out of my shell and sing, write lyrics. I should have fucking done this from the beginning....because my god am I a shitty singer. Of course I also learned that the room, mic placement, and pretty much my whole vocal process was a poo. That said I rolled with this after a number of different takes...I think I posted this song already but here it is with vocals. Hopefully I can improve my recording process, and generally how  I sing. I don't know how to sing, I'm still finding my right voice? I don't feel natural singing in higher notes unless bellowing them out, and going to a low baritone type voice sounds phoney. So instead I came up with this which also sounds phoney in some parts, so I added reverb and EQed it to make it less garbage. It still kind of is, but it's not like hot garbage, more like garbage you'd consider picking from somebodys curb if you like weird shit. 

This one is a synth one I just played and had fun with. It's really fucking goofy and I love it, warning, it is kind of high pitched so be aware of that when you play it. But it's...yeah. 

Edit - Shit forgot these two...

@CLDY Not to drag you in here but I think this track is one you might like since it's a pretty grungy slow sounding sludge deal. 

• Like 3

On 21/07/2021 at 16:07, CLDY said:

I 100% fuck with that Dead White & Blue song, VP. That shit slaps. Now if only there was a vocalist. :shifty: 🤔

Thank you :). 

I am working on lyrics, kinda got an idea so that will happen, I promise (just might be a few weeks)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pretty legit jam session with my friend on Sunday. We played for quite some time and I'd say we got about 9-10 really cool ideas down. I played drums, he played bass. He's an absolutely wonderful bass player, makes me look like such  a hack! 😝

Oh god actually I forgot I recorded more vocals. Ugh. This one is my vocals. 

Sorry to whore out the band camp link but thats going to become where my "official" shit goes. Actually the lyrics are posted on the site. AND AS A BONUS I made the cover art for this song a picture of my 9th grade Student ID. I thought it would be funny so I rolled with it. 

https://verbalrick.bandcamp.com/track/i-may-have-made-it-worse

And now to the Sunday Jam with my homie. 

This was fun. He used a knife in his pocket as a slide on his bass. I drummed. 

This is how we started the day and it was a good one. Cool jam. 

Ok so this one is my absolute favorite of the bunch. When I listened to it I was like "This sounds like a smoke filled bar room where a talented but depressed jazz band plays to a bunch of half drunk fucks sorta tired". I added reverb to the recording to sorta try to give it like an intimate live show feel. I like it though, a few hiccups here and there but if you got 5 minutes this is the one to check out. 

I like this because this sorta weird bass line feels right at home for both of us. I think it draws on his Les Claypool influence. 

And don't think i didn't sneak in punk. I really want us to get this one down. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody, I made a video again. 

So I wrote the music, but my friends Larry and Vinnie did the lyrics and vocals for this one. I made the video. I used mostly footage from archive.org. I kinda wanted to stray from using really horrific images just because I didn't want to be crass ya know? Maybe that's not punk rock, but ya know I also don't want to be an edge lord either. Still think this turned out fucking cool either way. 

• Like 2

Oh! I listened to "Bombing Victim" a bit ago on Bandcamp I think. I remember because in paring down a bunch of my tabs I was like "wait... why is one tab called bombing victim wtf?" then it clicked. 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

So my other friend and I (a different musician friend. Not my bass player friend or the guys that did lyrics for Bombing Victim, but my homie that plays guitar. He's the only person I ever played a show with for the record) jammed Sunday. 

The results weren't pretty, we were rough. We never jammed with me on drums and him doing his guitar. I fucking love his guitar work, he's legitimately one of my favorite guitar players and I think can write some cool stuff. I think with some practice we can fucking really get some good shit together. So here are a few samples of the stuff we did....

Quick and neat little jam that I think resembles Inepsy a bit. I also added a Glengary Glenross quote at the beginning because it sounded cool. 

A punk number, which my drums sound fucking weird and tinny and I hate it. 

AND this song, my friend wrote this one. He's been showing me this riff from about 4 years now, no kidding. So he was like "Hey, try this on for size on drums" and I tried my best and think I did a nice job on the fly. I always really dug it, and I think this could be a fucking brilliant song if we can get our timing down on this. Which I definitely think we can, I've been listening to this and evaluating where my fills should be, when I need to quiet down on my cymbals, etc. This song is why I think he's such a brilliant guitar player, it's just such a catchy slice of punk rock with a Buzzcocks on steroids vibe. This is definitely a rough sounding demo because we end up out of sync a few times but the potential is there. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The sage continues...

This is a sloppy punk riff I made a song of here. So I had so much trouble with the guitar tone, it just never sounded right. After I settled on what I have here it's not so bad, but this could be revisited later. 

This one is a fun electronic synth deal, a weird one as I tend to stray more into the weird with the synth it seems. The song is titled Drunk and High at Midnight because I was Drunk and High when I recorded it at Midnight. I also couldn't think of anything better. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some new shit, because I never stop, can't stop, hustle culture baby yeah whoo. 

But for real, this song here is probably one of my best to date, which I say often but this time it is true. It's still not quite the finished product, needs vocals (of course) and I may want to edit the beginning and end a bit. Otherwise, this one sounds good, and I think is a fun one that makes me want to boogie. Also I put a picture on it. We'll see if that makes me famous. 

And of course I can't just do the same thing so I used my drum machine instead of playing drums on this one. I went with some weird effects on guitar, used some synth, and we have a slower kinda ambient deal. This one sounds best with headphones with so much going on (as I just discovered while mowing the lawn). 

Then of course my obligatory fast and rocking type. This actually a song I recently did and showed you all, but this time I mapped it out better and re-recorded it. I love how the drums sound, really think the drumming here is some of my best work with regard to playing and mixing. Guitar...eh, still trying to figure out how to convey the tone I want but this isn't bad either. 

vocals still to come since I'm bad about that part...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My bandmates are moving to Scotland. We have one more practice this Friday and then they're gone.

We've completed and practiced 8 new songs from just before and over lockdown, so the plan is that they'll put down a rough version, e-mail them to me, I'll record bass and send it back for them to finish up before we send them to our mate to properly engineer. But it feels a bit janky, I'll be gutted if we don't get them down as a few I REALLY rate.

• Like 2

On 13/10/2021 at 19:28, ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster said:

My bandmates are moving to Scotland. We have one more practice this Friday and then they're gone.

We've completed and practiced 8 new songs from just before and over lockdown, so the plan is that they'll put down a rough version, e-mail them to me, I'll record bass and send it back for them to finish up before we send them to our mate to properly engineer. But it feels a bit janky, I'll be gutted if we don't get them down as a few I REALLY rate.

Cannot wait to hear this, even if it's in all it's janky glory, I'm sure it'll be ace! 

• 2 weeks later...