Pakistan in India

sahyder1

I thought I started this thread earlier but obviously it didn't go through.

Anyways.....anyone who thinks the Yankees/Red Sox is a rivalry needs to get a taste of how this matchup always plays out. I was slightly dissapointed with how things went last year but the play overall was great so I can't complain too much. I'll actually be watching all the games this time around so it makes it even better. I wanna see how the team holds up without Shoaib in the tests. Sami needs to step up big time here. Kaneria needs to have a big series for Pakistan as well.

Also, does anyone know if the David Sheppard who passed away this weekend was the umpire? I don't think it was.....but I haven't been able to get that confirmed anywhere.

Guest UmpireAJS

NOT THE UMPIRE, some reverend- he played cricket though

No matter how Pakistan sucks elsewhere, they ALWAYS seem to up thei game against India with whatever squad they have, so the encounter will be exciting

Edited by UmpireAJS

Definitely dissapointed in the manner we lost some of our wickets but overall I think Day 1 provided a good start to this series. I want to see How Sami and Naved do with the new ball to start the day. We need a wicket or two bright and early to put some pressure.

People in my IT class today were getting up BBC sport looking at how the match was going, India are looking good at the moment although im not too bothered who wins

Guest UmpireAJS

Stupid rain in Mohali, I never seen raining in Punjab in March-India are doing well though. I will go to Eden Gardens during the 2nd Test- hoping to see a good game there.

It's funny how 9 out 10 Pakistani test matches seem to have the same themes.......dropped catches and bad umpiring decisions.

Yeah, there's no way we should be screwing ourselves over the way we have so far this test. You just can't have that many dropped catches. Let me say once again that I still am not a fan of Kamran Akmal. Give me Moin Khan in there any day of the week (and twice on any day Pakistan is playing). The bat and pad call on Tendulkar was just ridiculous. No idea what Koertzen was thinking there. I thought Sami bowled really well and he deserved a little better luck yesterday. Kaneria continues to prove his worth in test matches. With all this said.....this match could've been completely different right if all those dropped catches on Sehwag didn't happen.....and the Ump had made the right call against Tendulkar.

Is anyone other then me and Umpire watching this series?

It's crazy how bad of a match Younis Khan is having to this point. Knowing my luck PCB will just over react drop him for the next 2 matches. This is the first time I've seen Asim Kamal play and I have to say I've been rather impressed . He's had the #s.....but he just seems to be getting the Afridi treatment for the last couple of years. Hopefully Pakistan can do something early today and try to get a draw out of this match.

Balaji fined for excessive appealing

Cricinfo staff

March 13, 2005

Lakshmipathy Balaji: an appeal too far © Getty Images

India's paceman, Lakshmipathy Balaji, has had the gloss taken off his outstanding performance in the first Test at Mohali, after he was fined 30% of his match fee for excessive appealing.

Balaji was reported to Chris Broad, the ICC match referee, after taking a career-best 9 for 171 – a performance that had all but secured victory over Pakistan, until Kamran Akmal and Abdul Razzaq combined to thwart his progress.

If Balaji's appealing was excessive, then there were at least mitigating circumstances. After recovering from a groin injury, it was his first match back in the side for nearly a year, so his enthusiasm was perhaps understandable, and in bowling a tight wicket-to-wicket line, that resulted in four batsmen being bowled, two lbws and a caught-behind, he was at least hitting the right areas for an appeal or two.

However the two umpires, Darrell Hair and Rudi Koertzen, felt he had overstepped the mark, and Broad agreed. "There is no place for this sort of appealing," he said in a statement. "The player apologised and I hope that will be the end of the matter."

The second match of the three-Test series gets underway in Kolkata on Wednesday.

© Cricinfo

Dissapointed at how many runs we ended up giving them. 407 was about 50-75 more then what I was projecting at the start of the match. It's too bad we couldn't get that final wicket quicker. It's great to see Razzaq and Afridi having some luck with the ball. I have to say yet again.....that Kaneria is the man. On that runout though.....I have never seen the bails hit someone in the eyes like that and I've been watching cricket for a long time. I was surprised that they had Afridi open. I was sure they were gonna put either Younis Khan or Kamran Akmal with Taufeeq. Thank God they finally took the smart route and not drop Younis Khan. Taufeeq will probably be dropped for the 3rd test unless he scores big in the 2nd innings. I still have no idea why Yasir Hameed is sitting on the sidelines.

• 2 weeks later...