Classic MMA

ZJ Penn

So recently I decided to do a bit of reflection on the development of MMA and so I'm re-watching some DVD's from UFC 1 through to the present day (and filling in the gaps I missed along the way) as well as Pride and possibly some Cage Rage, Dream and so on to add some variety. Right now as I type I'm halfway through UFC 32 (Miletich is just about to fight Shonie) with Pride 13 (Wanderlei vs. Sakuraba) around the corner.

I know there's quite a few MMA fans on the site but it seems the only thread to post in is the MMA News thread, which is obviously just for topical stuff. So I thought it'd be interesting for us to discuss things like favourite fights, fighters and events from the past. (I thought it might be cool to go through event by event like one a week but I don't know if many others will have seen them). Anyhoo, just thought I'd throw some category ideas out there, I'm interested to know what peoples preferences are.

Favourite Fights

1. Pedro Rizzo vs. Randy Couture (Heavyweight Championship, UFC 31). Excellent back and forth fight, especially in the first two rounds. Randy just tees off on Rizzos face for half the first round, and I don't think Pedro could really complain if they stopped the fight, others have been finished for less. Then in round two roles are reversed and Couture looks out of gas only to come back with a second wind. Wouldn't like to be a judge on it, it was that close. My heart said Couture, head said Rizzo and I was a bit surprised at the result to be honest.

2. Gracie vs. Sakuraba (Pride Grand Prix). A must-see fight for any MMA fan with an hour and a half to spare. It becomes extra special if you watch the development of the fight from about Pride 5 onwards beforehand (Sakuraba coming to prominence, his fight with Royler and so on). One of the first MMA fights with a truly "epic" feel.

3. Wanderlei Silva vs. Guy Mezger (Pride 10). Great stand-up fight, that ends in a classic flurry from the Axe Murderer to get the KO. At the time of the fight Silva is just getting going on his route to legendary status whereas Mezger has several UFC victories under his belt already.

Favourite KO's

1. Gilbert Yvel on Gary Goodridge. First real high kick KO I saw, made even sweeter being the first meaningful strike of the fight about a minute in.

2. Igor Vovchanchyn on Francisco Bueno. Crunching right hook from the Ukrainian that really cements his place as Prides heavy hitter. Bueno's classic fall forward makes the KO though.

3. Shonie Carter on Matt Serra. Possibly UFC's most played KO of that era, with the fight coming to a close Shonie tries an audacious spinning backhand, putting 'The Terror' on his ass.

Favourite Event

Pride 10. Easy one for this in my eyes, nearly every fight is memorable and is a bargain at £7.99. Stacked with names from top to bottom, personal highlights being; Belfort taking apart Matsui, the aforementioned Silva - Mezger and Yvel - Goodridge, Enson Inoue trying to stand with Vovchanchyn and Saku against another Gracie, this time Renzo.

Favourite Fighters

1. Kazushi Sakuraba. An obvious choice really, but one you can't avoid. I'd never really heard of him before I started watching Pride, his only UFC experience being the weird situation with Conan Silvera at Ultimate Japan where he wasn't that impressive. But where I'm up to now it's impossible not to like the guy as beats top fighter after top fighter. Every fight he seemed to bring something new to the table, his innovation is fantastic (see the jumping guard pass against Belfort). Currently undefeated in Pride following wins over four Gracies (Royler, Royce, Renzo and Ryan) where I'm up to, although he has got Wanderlei next and I think he might get dumped on, given that he hasn't really come across someone who matches him in terms of energy and with that deadly strikes.

2. Pedro Rizzo. Really liked watching Pedro, first heavyweight to achieve continued success in the UFC with striking in my eyes especially in a time when guys like Randleman were hardly setting the world alight with 'takedown and control for the round'.

3. Mark Coleman. MMA legend and pioneer, although he struggled to keep up with the times. Aside from the Takada "fight", its hard not to like him. His celebrations after the Pride GP are classic and is one of the only guys at the time who can make Ground and Pound interesting to watch. I'm hoping Lesnar beats Couture as its rumoured Brock might go back to the Hammer if he loses, and I don't want to see Mark get smashed into the Octagon canvas.

Other honourable mentions go to Vitor Belfort (that's "Fists of Fury" Belfort not "I can do Jiu-Jitsu" Belfort), Tank Abbott (who does deserve to be in the Hall of Fame) and Royce Gracie.

So yeah, that's me done. Lets get some other opinions and discussions going on the older stuff, because frankly who isn't bored of talking about Fedor and Anderson Silva?

A few years ago I stumbled across a fight between Ken Shamrock and Bas Rutten which I believe took place @ Pancrase: Eyes of the Beast 2. The fight didn't exactly put me on the edge of my seat, but the transition from half guard to the knee bar by Ken Shamrock was beautiful.

Speaking of Bas Rutten, I watched his fight with Randleman in UFC the other day, I don't think I've ever seen such a terrible decision. Randleman controls the entire fight, round to round, and Bas really offers nothing (mainly because he's unable to) yet gets the win.