Dryden leaves Leafs for politics

sahyder1

Dryden leaves Leafs for politics

Canadian Press

5/17/2004

TORONTO (CP) - Hockey icon Ken Dryden announced Monday his intention to quit the Leafs and make politics his ``ultimate'' career, in a maiden election bid he described as ``scary'' as the first day of school.

Dryden, vice-chairman of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, said for a variety of reasons ``it is time'' to leave the organization that owns the NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs to try to score the Toronto riding of York Centre in the federal election, expected to be called within days.

``How do I feel now after all these years finally being a candidate?'' Dryden, 56, said at centre ice at the Air Canada Centre, home of the Leafs, where a blue and white Maple Leaf flag was suspended behind him.

``Like I did when I went from kindergarten to Grade 1 . . . excited, scared, nervous.''

The longtime lawyer also expressed undying devotion to the Leafs, an organization he joined seven years ago as president to bring the team back to respectability after years under the helm of late owner Harold Ballard.

``If I become the Liberal candidate for York Centre, if I win the election, I will be in Ottawa a lot more. Go Sens go? I don't think so,'' he joked.

Dryden, a star netminder with the powerhouse Montreal Canadiens in the 1970s, said he was entering politics because ``I always believed politics was anybody's ultimate career,'' and ``because I want to do my best, and I want to find out what my best is.''

He said he believed he could do more to help people as a politician than as a civilian.

``I like (Prime Minister) Paul Martin,'' he added. ``I believe he and others can make Canada better place.''

Dryden, who has lived in Toronto for 22 years with his wife Lynda, said his decision to enter politics was also influenced by the fact their two children, Sarah and Michael, are now grown.

The path for Dryden to enter politics was cleared last week when Liberal Art Eggleton, a cabinet minister under former prime minister Jean Chretien, announced he would not seek re-election.

York Centre is considered a safe Liberal seat. Eggleton won it by 20,000 votes in the 2000 federal election.

Martin is widely expected to call the election within a week for a June 28 vote.

Dryden, who was born in Hamilton and grew up in Toronto, played for the Canadiens between 1971 and 1979, earning six Stanley Cup rings.

Leading the Habs to a Stanley Cup in his first season, the lanky netminder - who was known for his dominating six-foot-four presence - is considered one of the greatest goaltenders of all time. He was elected to the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1983.

Dryden took a year off from the Canadiens to work with a law firm, and practised law after leaving the team in 1979. Since retiring as a player, he has written several best-selling books, including The Game, a highly acclaimed reflection on his years with the Canadiens and a study of team dynamics.

He also wrote an examination of Canada's education system entitled In School.

Ofcourse this is gonna make some ponder whether Burke is headed to Toronto.

• 7 years later...