Redknapp Quits As Pompey Boss

WS1

Harry Redknapp has resigned as manager of Portsmouth.

Redknapp said his decision was not a result of his row with chairman Milan Mandaric over the appointment of Velimir Zajec as executive director.

"It is something I have been thinking about for a while. I made it without any pressure from the chairman or the board," said Redknapp.

Assistant Jim Smith has also opted to leave the club, leaving Zajec to take temporary charge of first-team affairs.

Smith said: "We've had a great two-and-a-half years, as good as I ever had.

"It's been fantastic. I'm proud to have been able to work with someone as good at the game as Harry is."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...uth/4037591.stm

What a waste, he's such a good manager and he's done great things at Portsmouth, why on earth did they feel the need to bring in a director of football?!?!

Guest Pirate Chasin' Booty

The board deserve it, bringing in a director of football is like showing your distrust for your manager, its effectively being demoted. I know that if I managed a team (and rather successfully at that) and one was brought in, I'd seriously think of telling them to fuck off.

Just let managers be managers, theres no evidence of this system ever working in this country.

Guest Dakendo

Well I didn't see that one coming. :shifty:

Redknapp has done wonders for Pompey. He took charge of them in the First Division, took them into the Premier League and kept them there. This is just a bleedin' disgrace. And what the f00k is a director of football? And why do they need one? Simple answer, they don't. Hopefully Harry goes to a team who's higher-ups actually respect him and his authority.

Dakendo

A director of football at a club is poor, i hate the idea but that is my opinion. Portsmouth deserve everything they got, and now Redknapp and Smith as left they will have a poor rest of the season