Michael Vick Nearing New Contract.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

Guest BacknBlackHoez

I was just flipping channels, then i flipped to channel 2, where Arthur Blank was having a new conference, and he said that Vick and him were discussing a new 10-year contract, worth $100 mill. with a $31 mill. signing bonus.

Good to be a Falcons fan.

$37 million in bonus money I heard. Kind of ironic the week these negotiations went down, Matt Schaub will be the Falcons starting QB, but nevermind that. From what I heard on the radio it will be between $100-$107 million for ten years with $37 million being in bonuses. It would be the highest signing bonus ever for a QB eclipsing the record currently held by Peyton Manning this offseason.

Vick, Falcons agree to richest contract in NFL history

Dec. 23, 2004

SportsLine.com wire reports   

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons offered Michael Vick the ultimate show of respect with a 10-year contract that guarantees the star quarterback an NFL-record $37 million in bonuses and is worth more than $100 million.

Advertisement

Adblock

"It is, man. It is," Vick said with a smile on Thursday. "You know, making a commitment says a lot, not just to me, but to our team. It means a lot to me."

Vick told the Associated Press two hours before a scheduled news conference to announce the deal that his agent, Joel Segal, reached an agreement in principle with Falcons general manager Rich McKay after Atlanta's overtime victory over Carolina on Saturday night.

Vick confirmed that the deal is worth over $100 million.

"I just went out and played my game and didn't worry about it," Vick said. "I just left in the hands of my agent and my attorneys (to) take it from there."

Vick's contract surpasses the $98 million deal Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning signed in March. Manning was guaranteed $34.5 million in bonuses.

Michael Vick breaks the bank with his new contract. (AP) 

Michael Vick breaks the bank with his new contract. (AP) 

According to a league official who requested anonymity, Vick reached incentives in his original contract, a six-year, $62 million deal, that would have allowed him to void the 2005 and 2006 seasons next month. Had he done so, the 24-year-old Vick would have become an unrestricted free agent on March 2.

Vick's new deal was first reported by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on its website.

"We've said on numerous occasions that this franchise is committed to bringing a world championship to the city of Atlanta, the state of Georgia, as well as to building a sustainable winning organization consistently in the hunt," Falcons owner Arthur Blank said in a statement. "Today's contract extension for Michael, in our opinion, moves us closer to achieving those goals."

Vick, the No. 1 overall draft pick of 2001, has a 24-12-1 career record. He is 14-4 since returning from a broken ankle last year, and this season led the Falcons to just the third division title in franchise history.

Atlanta earned a first-round bye in the NFC playoffs following the win over Carolina and Green Bay's loss to Jacksonville. The Falcons (11-3) visit New Orleans on Sunday, but Vick missed his second straight practice Thursday because of an injured left shoulder.

Rookie Matt Schaub hasn't been told he will start, but the third-round pick from Virginia is prepared to do so. If he does play, Schaub won't try to play like Vick, who leads the NFL with 7.6 yards per carry.

Schaub, like many of his teammates, considers Vick to be a freak of nature.

"Yeah, pretty much," Schaub said. "I always thought he was watching him on TV, but seeing it up close every day is something else."

Vick, chosen Wednesday to his second Pro Bowl, needs 80 yards to break the single-season record for rushing by a quarterback, set by Chicago's Bobby Douglass in 1972.

In a Week 8 victory at Denver, Vick became the first player in league history to rush for 100 yards and pass for 250 in a single game.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

I still see that "The Michael Vick Experience" commercial and it makes me laugh at the end when he says "That's not in the playbook. But it should be." He sounds like 50 Cent. Michael Vick should parlay this $100 million contract into a recording career with G Unit. Nevermind...I'm just taking it to heart that a guy that will be out of the league in 5 years due to injuries is now making more than Peyton Manning.

oooooo...BURN!

Hey you can get a new Vince Carter Nets jersey off of NBA.com or an Alonzo Mourning Raptors jersey. Take your pick, either of the jerseys will have no value in two years. I myself was going to try to get a Rasheed Wallace Hawks jersey for shits and giggles but NBA.com wouldn't allow that exact personalization at the time. But enough of that rant...

I just saw Blanck on ESPNnews and he looked like he had just won the lottery 50 times over. He's got a cornerstone it seems that he never wants Vick to leave....EVER!

NFL Contracts don't mean anything. He won't see a very large chunk of that as his contract will be renegotiated somewhere down the line.

As for VC jerseys, I'm sure I'll get a VC Nets one (good deal at 25% off using my Sports Authority employee discount) eventhough I don't like the Nets as a team. I have a VC Road Raptors jersey and was just about to buy those red ones a month or so ago.

Guest BacknBlackHoez

i was with my friend while he was visiting his niece here in atlanta at a childrens home, and Vick was there today, he gave out free playoff tickets, and spent time with the kids today. Very nice guy.

Guest Muthafawkkinmatt

I wouldn't pay Micheal Vick more money then Manning. He is a good quarter back and brings speed to the position like no one before him but a running quarter back has yet to win the superbowl and his style is very injury prone.