Neverwinter Nights

Liam

I've heard nothing but good about it, but I think you have to pay a monthly subscription. And if you're thinking about playing it through a Uni connection, forget it (that is, if it's one of those Unis that block p2p :angry:)

You are talking to me on MSN, you postwhore >_>

Is it one of those "only online" RPG's then? I thought it was just a single player thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

I swear it's primarily for offline single player use. My friend went on about it all the time when he got it.

I don't know myself - I can't seem to get into these games. I own Balder's Gate 2 and have hardly played it. However even I know that £7 is more than worth it.

I swear it's primarily for offline single player use. My friend went on about it all the time when he got it.

I don't know myself - I can't seem to get into these games. I own Balder's Gate 2 and have hardly played it. However even I know that £7 is more than worth it.

Yeah, I have Baldurs Gate 2 as well. It is one of those games I KNOW is a good game, I just can't get overly far into it.

Neverwinter Nights looked more my thing though, as it was third person, with one player. Rather than BG2's party idea.

Guest Grapehead

It's your kind of thing trust me, it's offline single player, it's pretty sweet, I'm positive you'll enjoy it. Plus, for £7 you're getting a good deal.

It's your kind of thing trust me, it's offline single player, it's pretty sweet, I'm positive you'll enjoy it. Plus, for £7 you're getting a good deal.

How do you know its my kind of thing?

*cough*stalker*cough* :P

Yeah, I'll probably get it when my work pay me.

• 3 years later...

I realise this is quite an old thread, but it's still relevant to me, damn it!

Picked it up a couple of days ago for $5. I was pretty hyped about it. Then I started to play it. Firstly, some genius decided that Australians would get the 1.01 version, meaning it's unplayable out of the box. I check the support forums, and it says I need to update. Reasonable.

130-something MB (Read: 4 hours) later, it's ready to play. I make a character, and all that, only to have the game freeze when I try to talk to anyone. If I choose not to talk to anyone, I'm stuck in a room. Once again, I check the forums, only to find that the Australian version was shipped without a rather important file. That's annoying, but tolerable. Needs another update, it says. How big can it be?

154 MB, apparently, which translates to roughly 6 hours for me. So, ranting aside, is the game worth 300+ Mb of updates to play?

I think this is the first D&D-styled game I've played, aside from D&D itself...

If you enjoy creating and playing a character in a fantasy setting using the D&D rules it's worth a try. The only real catch is that to get the most out of the game you really need to download the modules (fan and Bioware created), so you're looking at more downloading.

NWN vanilla to me was pretty average. Both expansions were steps up but still nothing mind blowing. NWN shines with it's user created campaigns and dungeons. I'm assuming for $5 you only got Neverwinter Nights itself, no expansions included?

You have to pay for the Premium Modules (Bioware's officially made stuff) fan made ones are free. 99.99% of the time you need both expansions to play them so modules are probably out.

My advice: fuck NWN unless you want to buy the Diamond Edition or something.

I bought the Diamond Edition with all the premium expansions for like $20 a few months ago at GameStop. Runs pretty damn well on my piece of shit PC. Pretty fun too if you like the genre.

Not sure about the online part though, though I would love to try it once I get settled again in my new place (I'll probably get around to re-installing it, that is if I didn't lose the CD-key if there was one. Otherwise I'm fucked.)