World Wrestling Entertainment: 2005

user posted image

WWE SmackDown! (07.14.05)

Announcers: Michael Cole and Tazz

Attedance: 8,036

SmackDown! came on air with the fancy routine pyrowork, followed by a view of the crowd. Among the signholders is a young man with an obscene sign concering JBL, so an usher comes by and takes it away. The show looks to be packed and ready, with The Undertaker and Batista taking on Muhammad Hassan, John Bradshaw Layfield and Orlando Jordan in a 2-on-3 handicap match in the main event. Before long, Michael Cole and Tazz cut in to do the audio work for the night's show.

Cole: "Welcome fans to SmackDown! It's a great Thursday night, and it's gonna get even better through the night. First of all, let's talk about the main event. Batista and The Undertaker are scheduled to take on Muhammad Hussan, John Bradshaw Layfield and the United States Champion Orlando Jordan! Batista and The Undertaker are two very powerful men, but they'll have their hands full with these three, that's for sure."

Tazz: "And don't forget, Batista will be going head-to-head with JBL in about a week's time Cole, for the World Heavyweight Championship, while Taker's got a date with Muhammad Hussan. And this is all at the Great American Bash!"

Cole: "Yes indeed, those two matches will have great significance as to what the main event at Summerslam may be. We could see Muhammad Hussan vs. John Bradshaw Layfield for all we know."

Tazz: "I don't like the sounds of that Cole. Hey look Cole, it's Booker T! Up there!"

Sure enough, Booker T had appeared on the TitanTron where Tazz was pointing. He was with Steve Romero, and clearly had something to say.

Steve Romero: "Booker T, just five days ago on Velocity, you were attacked after your match with Doug Basham, by Christian. What do you have to say about this."

Booker T: "What do I have to say? I have a lot to say, sucka. Ever since that punk-ass Christian came to SmackDown!, he's been in my face. Little things, like calling me names behind my back and shoving me in the hallways backstage. But now, he attacks me on Velocity because it's "my fault" he lost the Six-Man elimination match a while back. Now it's my turn for a shot. That little Captain Crunch bastard- or whatever he calls himself, has gotten himself into trouble. Because Christian has never gone face-to-face with me, he's always done things his way, the cheap way. So that's why I got us a match signed for the Great American Bash. So, you little cheap punk, I hope you're watching, because your ass is mine. Now can you dig that, SUCKAAAA?"

Booker T marches off with a grin as Steve Romero feels the effects of what an enthustiac interview can do to you.

(88%)

Cole: "That certainly was a mouthful. And apparently we'll be seeing Booker T vs. Christian at the Great American Bash! That'll be interesting."

Tazz: "I always expect good things from the Booker Man, and he doesn't let me down."

WWE Tag Team Championship

Big Stevie Cool and Hollywood Nova vs. MNM w/Melina ©

The two *smaller* members of the bWo began their chance at championship gold with Nova taking on Joey Mercury in the beginning of things. Mercury laughs at Nova's "beard", but Nova hits a couple of right hands, sending the arrogant Mercury to the canvas. Mercury staggers to his feet, and gets flipped head over heels by Nova, landing hard on his back! Nova tags in Big Stevie Cool, who instead of wearing the traditional bWo belly shirt is wearing attire similar to Kevin Nash's in his nWo days, with "Big Stevy" rather than "Big Sexy" written across his doublet. Stevie hits Mercury with a leg drop, then makes a cover, which is interrupted by Johnny Nitro. Joey is able to recover quickly now, and takes the upperhand in the match. Joey hits a suplex on Stevie, then follows with an impressive standing moonsault. Mercury makes the cover, but Stevie kicks out at the count of two, so he tags in his partner, Johnny Nitro. Nitro delivers a few hard stomps to Stevie, then drags him towards the corner, and climbs the ropes. He looks as if preparing to hit the Shooting Star Leg Drop, but Hollywood Nova pushes him off and climbs the ropes himself, and coming off with a wicked cross body splash on Nitro! This brings in Mercury, and all hell breaks loose as referee Nick Patrick has to deal with all four men at once. Stevie and Mercury exchange right hands, as Nova hits a scoop slam on Nitro. Stevie dodges a clothesline attempt from Mercury, and sends him toppling over the top rope to the ground below! Stevie follows with a crazy suicide splash to the outside, leaving Nova and Nitro on the inside. As Nova and Nitro battle back and forth, Melina hops up on the apron, and gives Nick Patrick a good reason to be distracted by showing off her "assets". Hogan, er Nova manages to hit the leg drop on Johnny Nitro, and the match is all but won! But Patrick is busy with other things, so Nova tries to get his attention back to the match. However, Nitro takes advantage of the obviously planned situation, and rolls Nova up with the School Boy maneuver! Nitro gets a grab of Nova's tights, something Nick Patrick is too dull to see, and MNM win to retain their belts, despite Nova not even being the legal man!

Winners, and still WWE Tag Team Champions: MNM

MNM can't celebrate for all too long, as Juventud and Psychosis storm the ring from out of nowhere! Melina scatters as the two jumpsuit clad Mexicools take MNM out quickly and effectively, leaving their belts in the ring. Psychosis grabs them both and lifts them high in the air, smiling, as Juventud calls for a microphone.

Cole: "It's the Mexicools! The Mexicools are here!"

Juventud: "Hahahaha. Ever since we came to SmackDown!, we've been keeping a close eye on everyone in the lockerroom. But we've been paying even closer attention to those with gold on their belts. And tonight, we seized the perfect opportunity to declare our dominance, to further show that Lucha Libre should be the most feared and respected wrestling style in the world! And by taking out these two fashion wannabe chumps, we have started takeover. But tonight isn't over. There will be more!"

Juventud and Psychosis laugh and hug, before leaving through the crowd, with MNM trying to figure out what the hell just happened, as they slowly get up from the ground.

(76%, 72%, 81%)

The WWE Tag Team Titles have gained in image.

Tazz: "A Mexicool takeover? What's that supposed to mean?"

Cole: "I'm not sure, but it sounds interesting."

Cole and Tazz speculate on what the takeover could mean as SmackDown! heads to a commercial break.

SmackDown! returns with a former fan favourite who has turned into a distasteful human being as of late, Eddie Guerrero. His entrance is without the lowrider, as he is clearly here for business. Microphone in hand, Eddie climbs in the ring.

Eddie Guerrero: "Rey. Rey, esse. I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not doing something I should of done long ago. And that's tell the truth, esse. I want to finish my little bedtime story to Dominic. And at Great American Bash holmes, I'll do just that. You see, Rey, I'll offer you a deal. You beat me at the Great American Bash, and I'll surrender. That secret will stay locked up inside of me for good. But if I win, esse, then the whole world will know. I'll be able to close the fairytale, holmes. So Rey, get your ass out here and tell me that you want this. You want a chance to keep it together, then come out here like a man. Right now holmes!"

Eddie doesn't have to wait a second longer as Rey hops into the ring from the crowd, and goes right at it with him! Rey unloads like a cannon, hitting Eddie into the corner and giving him tons of rights and lefts. Rey flips Eddie to the canvas, then goes upstairs, and sends Guerrero a powerful message, hitting him with his own trademark manuever, the Frog Splash! Rey stares at Eddie angrily, then grabs the mic that is lying in the center of the ring.

Rey Mysterio: "You say you want to fight me at the Great American Bash? And if win, you'll keep it whatever it is you're dying to tell everyone inside? I know you better than that Eddie. You aren't a man of your word. Even if I do beat you, like I have three times in a row, you'll tell the world. But I'll take up on your offer, esse. Because I'll do anything for a chance to kick your ass again, Eddie, and you can count on it."

Rey leaves with Eddie slumped across the canvas, looking up at the ceiling.

Cole: "Rey vs. Eddie at the Great American Bash, and if Eddie wins, he tells the world his secret!"

Tazz: "Oh boy, a lot more than any championship is on the line in that match!"

(81%)

Cole: "When we come back, it'll be Chris Benoit taking on Nunzio in singles action!"

Chris Benoit vs. Nunzio

Due for a United States Championship bout with Orlando Jordan at the Great American Bash, Benoit comes out to an overwhelming pop from the crowd. Nunzio gets a minor reaction, as the small Sicillian has become somewhat of a favourite in the eyes of SmackDown! fans. Nunzio and Benoit shake hands, and start the technicians contest. Benoit applies a quick headlock, but Nunzio pushes out of it and hits a dropkick on the Crippler. Nunzio hits some stiff chops to the chest, then manages to execute a snap suplex. Nunzio covers, but it's obviously not enough to put Benoit down. Benoit comes back with a suplex of his own, following up with a picture perfect neckbreaker. Benoit covers, but Nunzio gets a shoulder off the mat. Benoit applies a STF hold, but it's near the ropes so Nunzio escapes early.

Benoit chases Nunzio into the corner, and hits some cutthroat chops. Nunzio stops the assault with a kick to the midsection, and spears Benoit, going head first. Nunzio takes advantage of the opportunity of Benoit being down on the mat, connecting with an elbow drop on Benoit for a two count. Nunzio then attempts to hook Benoit in the Sicillian Crab, but he can't, as Benoit kicks him away, sending him into the turnbuckle. Benoit drops him with the Northern Lights Suplex as he comes back from the corner, but Nunzio just barely breaks out of the bridge. Benoit then signals for the finish, as he heads to the heavens, climbing the turnbuckle. Benoit connects with a Headbutt, and he reels from the impact. But he seizes control again, and quickly locks in the Sharpshooter, leaving Nunzio nowhere to go! Nunzio soon taps out, giving Benoit the submission victory.

Winner: Chris Benoit

Chris Benoit raises his hands in victory, but Orlando Jordan doesn't let him celebrate, as he charges into the ring and hits Benoit from behind! Benoit staggers up and OJ swings at him again, but Benoit slips behind him and takes him down to the ground and snaps him in the Crippler Crossface! Jordan taps, but no referee can help him now! Benoit keeps the pressure on as SmackDown! heads to a break.

(85%, 70%, 100%)

SmackDown! returns with the entrance music of Captain Charisma playing, but he does not come out alone, as by his side is a 1:8 scale version of Booker T, known as Booker Wee! Christian hides his smile, trying to be as "serious" with Booker Wee as he possibly can. The two slide into the ring, and Christian begins the conversation.

Christian: "Booker Wee. What a man you are. Wife of Sharmell Smallivan, five time WCW Champion. WCW standing for Widget Class Wrestling, of course. Say, Booker Wee, have you ever wrestled with any of the Seven Dwarfs? Or how about Mini-Me?"

Booker Wee looks up at Christian, shaking his head in confusion.

Christian: "You haven't? Well, have you ever faced someone who's main evented RAW and SmackDown! in the same week? Have you ever faced a man who has been a Multi-Time Intercontinental Champion? Have you ever faced a man who has his own unique legion of wrestling fans? Have you ever met the height requirements for an amusement park ride? I'm thinking you probably haven't. Which is why at the Great American Bash, Mr. Wee, you'll be in for the ride of your life. Because I'm Captain Charisma, the greatest wrestler on this show, and on this earth."

Booker Wee seems to have enough of Christian's remarks, and he "tackles" Christian. Christian feigns his agony as little Booker Wee hits him with small fists. Christian then gets to his knees, and Booker Wee tries to hit the Scissors Kick, but Christian stops the game and moves out of the way, then stomps on the vertically challenged combatant.

Christian: "Well, Booker Wee, you almost had me there. Unfortunately, you came up just a little bit short. And as for you, Booker T, you should be watching. Because the same is due to happen to you in just 10 days, when I beat you in front of all of my peeps."

Christian poses for his "fans", then he exits. Booker Wee can't be happy, and neither can Booker T.

Cole: "If you want a guy to get angry, that's one surefire way to do it, Tazz."

Tazz: "No doubt. 'Captain Charisma' best watch his back Cole, because Booker has it out for him."

(90%)

WWE Cruiserweight Championship

Funaki vs. Paul London ©

Paul London gets ready to defend against "SmackDown!'s Numbah Won Announsah", putting his Cruiserweight Championship on the line. Funaki and Paul shake hands, then London takes Funaki down with an arm drag, and tries to hit a dropkick, but Funaki does as well, sending both men back down to the mat. They both retrieve quickly, with Funaki trying hit Paul with a running shoulder block. But the agile London jumps on Funaki's shoulders, and hits a Hurracanranna, leading into a pin, but Funaki kicks out. London scurries to the top rope and takes flight, attempting a Shooting Star Press, but Funaki rolls out of the way. Amazingly, London is able to catch this and land on his feet! Funaki gets behind London, and grabs him by the waist. It looks as if he is going for a back suplex, but Funaki counters by blocking his leg. Funaki, however, finds a new way through London's defense and surprises him with a tilt-a-whirl styled body slam. Funaki sprawls across London for the cover, but London kicks out at the count of two.

Funaki now tries for a Hurricane DDT, but London forces him off and hits a cruiser-sized Spinebuster, then immediately flips over on Funaki and hooks the legs in a unique bridge-styled pin. London comes close, but Funaki manages to escape. Funaki grabs hold of London on the ground, securing him in location and then dropping a knee on him. Funaki brings London to his feet, and whips him to the ropes. Funaki expects to clothesline Paul, but he ducks and comes of the ropes with a cross body splash. But Funaki rolls through it and tries to cover. No dice, as both wrestlers hop to their feet. London tries a vertical suplex, but Funaki slips behind him, and shoves him into the corner. Funaki expects to hit London with a high impact maneuver, but London springs back with an elbow to the jaw, knocking Funaki flat on the ground! London wastes no time in seizing the opportunity, as he hops to the top turnbuckle. However, before he can take off, Super Crazy jumps the security barrier and shoves Paul London off onto the ground below! He climbs the turnbuckle himself, and hits a Moonsault on Funaki, but doesn't stop there! He goes up again, and connects on Funaki again. But everyone knows that he doesn't stop at two. Third time's a charm, as Crazy destroys Funaki with the Trifecta Moonsault. The referee doesn't know what to make of the match, and a no decision is placed on the match.

Winner: No Contest (Paul London Retains)

Crazy, like Juvi and Psychosis before him, is full of smiles and energy. He grabs a microphone from Tony Chimmel, who's reluctant at first.

Super Crazy: "This is the takeover! The Mexicools are here, and we have SmackDown! in first gear, baby. So don't worry, this isn't the last you'll see of me, or the Mexicools. You'll see us in bigger places, bigger spaces, and we'll be larger than ever before!"

Super Crazy lets out a laugh, before passing by London who's still on the ground, reeling in pain.

Cole: "Bigger places, bigger spaces? This is really heating up Tazz!"

Tazz: "The Mexicools want to make an impact, and they are off on the right foot, that's for damn sure Cole."

(60%, 34%, 87%)

Cole: "I'd have to agree there Tazz. When we come back, however, we will see two VERY different personalities go head-to-head, as the foul-mouthed, ass-kicking Hardcore Holly will be squaring off with Britain's true blue-blood, William Regal in singles action!"

When SmackDown! returns, the fans get a rare sighting of Undertaker backstage as he is shown on the TitanTron, walking slowly with a dark look in his eyes, as usual. People near him seem to be avoiding him at all costs, not wanting to fall victim to the Deadman. But with steel chair in hand, Muhammad Hussan has nothing to worry about as he comes running from behind Undertaker and lays him out with a steel chair! Hassan hits him again for good measure and then smiles, as the Undertaker, who has a match coming up soon involving Hassan, lies unconscious on the concrete floor as Hassan walks away!

(83%)

Cole: "The Undertaker just got laid out! If he can't compete, that leaves Batista in a 3-on-1 situation against JBL, Jordan and Hassan!"

Tazz: "Batista's chances of having a partner don't look very good right about now!"

William Regal vs. Hardcore Holly

William Regal makes his entrance as Tazz and Cole wonder what will happen to the main event with Undertaker out of action at the time being. Regal waves to the fans casually, but a waiting and impatient Hardcore Holly clotheslines him before he can get ready for the match. This allows Holly to go on the full out attack, taking Regal into the corner and nearly sending him out of the ring with rights and lefts. Hardcore Holly whips Regal in to the opposite turnbuckle, then hits a charging shoulder block. Straight out of the corner, Holly hits a stiff powerslam, then covers. Regal gasps for air as he kicks out, but that doesn't stop Holly. He applies a necktie hold, wanting a quick victory. Regal uses his legs to drag himself to the ropes, where he grabs hold of them to get Holly off of his back. Regal slowly recovers as the referee talks to Hardcore Holly about excessive roughness. Holly returns to his opponent who is waiting for him, hitting him with a high knee to the midsection, a trademark of European wrestlers.

In control now, Regal makes use of his boxing style method with his short jabs and light hopping, switching from foot to foot. A Regal chant begins in the building, but it soon dies out. Regal has a few of his jabs blocked by Holly, who then takes Regal out with a Spinebuster. Holly covers, almost sure of the win, but he can't quite get it done. Holly goes back to the destructive offense method, lifting Regal by one foot and then dropping him hard on the canvas, causing Regal to hit his knee. Regal writhes in pain, but the Mobile, Alabama native shows no sympathy, unless fierce stomps to the back of the head are his way of saying sorry. Regal is brought back to his feet, only to be hit with a hard uppercut from Holly. Holly tries a second, but it's dodged by Regal, who then hits a rock hard DDT, Holly going down face first. Regal then locks Holly in a move he doesn't want in, the STF. Regal applies as much pressure as possible, but Holly isn't giving in. After a good minute or so, Regal gives up and tries elsewhere. He bounces Holly off of the ropes setting up for the backdrop, but Hardcore just boots him square in the face! Holly then grabs Regal by the back of his thighs and places him on his shoulder. Regal enjoys a few moments of peace before he's devastated by the Alabama Slam, a sure win for Holly, who gets the convincing 1-2-3.

Winner: Hardcore Holly

Holly doesn't celebrate much, he instead turns to shake Regal's hand. But he doesn't get the shake, instead he eats a handful of brass as Regal plows him right in the jaw with the brass knuckles! The Power Of The Punch leaves it's everlasting mark as Regal sneers as Holly lie flat out, while the fans boo Regal.

(76%, 74%, 78%)

William Regal debuted his new gimmick (Old School Heel), it got a positive response. William Regal lost 1 point of overness from this match. Hardcore Holly gained 2 points of overness from this match. William Regal's turn was completed, and he is now a heel. William Regal gained 5 points of overness from this turn.

Tazz: "It's the Power Of The Punch Cole! It's back!"

Cole: "That definitely isn't a good thing. I thought Regal was past those days. I thought wrong, I guess. But here's something I do know for sure. Batista will be all alone as he faces John Bradshaw Layfield, Orlando Jordan, and Muhammad Hussan in the main event. And that's up NEXT!"

Handicap Match

Batista and The Undertaker vs. John Bradshaw Layfield, Orlando Jordan and Muhammad Hussan

SmackDown! returns from it's final break as JBL and OJ make their way to the ring via limo, while Hussan follows afterwards. A cautious and angered Batista slowly makes his way to the ring, knowing he's in this alone. All three of his opponents smirk at him, as a man outnumbered 3 to 1 isn't a very feared man at all. Batista steps in the ring and surprisingly, all three men don't ambush him, instead, the match starts like normal, with the Animal taking on Orlando Jordan. Batista quickly beats him into the corner, unleashing all his anger out on him. After OJ is worn out from the rights and lefts, Batista tosses him around the ring by his head, hard thuds emitting from the mat each time Jordan hits the ground. Batista makes a running clothesline attempt at Jordan, but he trips him up, sending him right into the corner of JBL and Muhammad Hussan, who are more than happy to hold Batista back while Jordan unloads on him. After OJ is finished, he hands things over to his boss, John Bradshaw Layfield.

JBL laughs at the weakened Batista, and slaps him across the face. JBL then takes it to Batista as well, having Hassan and Jordan hold him while he throws everything he can at him, including stiff chops, kicks, and even a few blasts to the midsection. JBL hits a hard suplex and covers, but Batista makes a kickout at 2. Layfield tries to drag Batista back into the corner, but Batista spears him, pushing JBL's back hard into the second turnbuckle. Batista can't come up with any offense though, as Hassan and Jordan beat on him before he can start anything. JBL, who feels a little sore, tags in Hassan and the angered Arab American beats up on Batista as well. He hits him with a few axe-handle blows to the back, followed by the Ground Zero, the facebuster move that Hassan has won many matches in the past with. Hassan can't finish off Batista though, as he kicks out at 2 and a half. Hussan lets off of Batista and tags in Orlando Jordan, who climbs the top rope as Batista slowly gathers himself and gets to his feet. Jordan tries a Flying Cross Body, but he pays for not respecting Batista strength, as the World Heavyweight Champion grabs him in mid-air! JBL tries to make a move, but Batista is able to boot him off the apron, as well as Hassan. Batista then throws Orlando over his head, and then takes the US Champion one-on-one. He hits a series of bone-shattering moves, including a spinebuster, a powerslam, and a overhead suplex. Batista then gives the crowd a thumbs down signal, as he puts Jordan under him. He gets Jordan in the air, but OJ thinks quick and pokes Batista in the eyes, causing Batista to fall over. Jordan tries to pin him, but Batista gets him off in strong fashion, sending him flying off as if he were a cruiserweight.

Batista now sets up Orlando Jordan for the powerful forearm clothesline on the ropes, but Jordan goes for desperate measures. He pulls referee Brian Hebner in front of him, sending Hebner over the ropes instead of Jordan! Batista can't believe what he's just done, but Jordan takes advantage of it and hits a low blow on him, sending him to his knees. JBL tags in, and Hassan gets in as well, and the match literally becomes a 3 on 1, as all three men attack Batista. But suddenly, the crowd roars, as they spot Chris Benoit, who comes racing down the ramp and into the ring! Benoit goes straight for the US Champion, taking both Jordan and himself to the outside, where they begin to go back and forth on one another. Still, the 2 on 1 disadvantage proves too much on Batista, as JBL and Hassan beat down on him. The ref slowly makes his way back in the ring, but he is still unaware to what is going on.

Layfield hits the Clothesline From Hell on Batista, and Hassan then locks in the Camel Clutch, but Batista isn't tapping, only because he has passed out. Hassan figures it's no use, so he slides out of the ring, and grabs a steel chair. Unknown to Hebner, Hassan hits Batista in the chair, who seems to have come to from the impact. Hassan and JBL laugh, knowing that they are about to win the match, in the most unfairest of ways. But the laughter ends, as the lights go out, leaving JBL and Hassan blind! They come back on, and none other than the Undertaker is standing in the ring, as Hassan and JBL stare in fear! They charge at him, but he clotheslines them both. Hassan scatters as JBL is left all alone with the Deadman, who grabs JBL by the throat and sends him to the depths of hell with a thunderous Chokeslam! The Undertaker then goes after Hassan, as Batista gets up, looking around to find out what happened. JBL sprouts up and tries to fight him, it's no use, as the rejuvenated Batista sets him down with the Batista Bomb, and gets the slow and dramatic count from Hebner to get the win for himself and The Undertaker, who returned at just the right time!

Winners: Batista and The Undertaker

(82%, 86%, 76%)

Cole: "The Undertaker and Batista win!"

Tazz: "Talk about an electrifying win Cole! What a match!"

Batista celebrates on the turnbuckles for the crowd with his belt, as a hardfought brawl takes place on the outside involving Benoit, Jordan, Hassan and The Undertaker. Batisa then goes to leave, but his exit is denied by JBL, who hits the Clothesline From Hell, sending Batista down with a thud! Boos fill up the arena as JBL grabs the World Heavyweight Championship and holds it high over Batista's fallen body, as SmackDown! reels to a close...

(83%)

Show Overall: 78%

Rating: 5.85

Sales: $321,440

• 1 year later...