ECW 1998 - A New Era

The reason I said I wouldnt comment on the diary, is because i didnt read it...I told you I just skimmed through it...ECW is the hardest thing to write, because there are so many intangibles involved with it....man, I didnt think you would be so sensitive.

Anyway,I read that you put it as the TV title match, when bigelow wasnt even the champ...I still dont understand why you are arguing that RVD wasn't the champ...he won the title on 4/4/98

Anyway, when I see so many inaccuricies, in the first three shows, I am prone to ask these questions...in fact this should help your writing, now you have a bigger better backstory, come in and tell how BAM Bam won the title from RVD, Al Snow turned heel because Taz stole his thunder at wrestlepalooza 98.

Super Crazy debuted in ECW in 1998 and engaged in a sensational feud with Yoshihiro Tajiri..
Edited by Drake Chapman

I'm trying to answer your questions. The only things you're probably right about are Beulah being injured, Rhino not debuting, the Acid Drop and RVD being the tv champion. Hardcore TV is at midnight on America One, which is pretty much a local network. I'm trying to answer all of your questions, it's not my fault if what I got on obsessed with wrestling is wrong. I looked up the tv title history, and it said Bam Bam Bigelow, then Taz or something, and it said that Super Crazy and Tajiri debuted in 98, it just didn't give me a date so I thought it was before august. I'm really trying to answer your questions, I don't know how much better I can do.

I'm trying to answer your questions.  The only things you're probably right about are Beulah being injured, Rhino not debuting, the Acid Drop and RVD being the tv champion.  Hardcore TV is at midnight on America One, which is pretty much a local network.  I'm trying to answer all of your questions, it's not my fault if what I got on obsessed with wrestling is wrong.  I looked up the tv title history, and it said Bam Bam Bigelow, then Taz or something, and it said that Super Crazy and Tajiri debuted in 98, it just didn't give me a date so I thought it was before august.  I'm really trying to answer your questions, I don't know how much better I can do.

user posted image

ECW HARDCORE TV REPORT

Little Guido def. Yin Yang

Little Guido had control of this match entirely through, winning easily, then celebrating with Tracey Smothers.

CROWD REACTION: 45%

MATCH QUALITY: 95%

OVERALL RATING: 70%

The Sandman was backstage being stalked again.  He looks around and notices a man stalking him, walking towards him, but finds just a camera hidden under a blanket taping him.  A man covered in a long suit comes running out and nails Sandman over the head with some sort of chain wrapped around his wrist, as he quickly runs away without revealing himself.

OVERALL RATING: 75%

Justin Credible def. Mikey Whipwreck

Whikwreck gives Credible a run for his money, but is unable to win as Credible hits the That's Incredible on a steel chair for the pin.

CROWD REACTION: 60%

MATCH QUALITY: 77%

OVERALL RATING: 68%

Chris Candido cuts a promo on Lance Storm, trashing his style and the way he wrestles completely, and saying that he's gonna' have to deal with Chris Candido at ECW on MTV.

OVERALL RATING: 66%

RVD and Sabu def. Hakushi and Hayabusa to retain the Tag Team Championships

Best match of the night, which sees the team of japanese superstars almost pick up the win a few times, but RVD pinning Hakushi after a vicious frog splash.

CROWD REACTION: 67%

MATCH QUALITY: 94%

OVERALL RATING: 80%

OVERALL VELOCITY RATING: 73%

OFFICIAL TV RATING: 0.11

ATTENDANCE: 3007

TICKET SALES: $ 90210

user posted image

" DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS "

ASBURY PARK, NEW JERSEY

The show begins with Taz strolling down the isle with the FTW championship over his shoulder. He slides into the ring and takes a microphone, speaking out to the crowd with a very angry expression on his face.

Taz: I ain't out here ta' fuck around, alright?

The crowd gives Taz a mixed reaction, surprisingly.

Taz: Last week, Tommy Dreamer "beat me" in a one on one match.. And ya' know what? I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! I came out here tonight because I'm the best thing ecw has goin' for it.

Taz pauses.

Taz: So I'm out here ta' challenge anybody to a match for this belt right here, the prestigious FTW championship. I'm challengin' ANYBODY who's willin' ta' fight the greatest champion in ecw history. It doesn't matter ta' me if it's some random son of a bitch from wcw or the wwf, or even a japanese asshole. I'm throwin' out this challenge for Anarchy Rulz, and it's open ta' ANYBODY.

Taz stops, putting the microphone down and waiting before speaking again.

Taz: And this goes out ta' anyone willin' ta' take my challenge at Anarchy Rulz. BEAT ME.. IF YOU CAN.

Taz pauses again and grins his teeth

Taz: SURVIIIIIVE.. IF I LET'CHU!

Overall Rating: 86%

Al Snow vs. Mike Awesome vs. Rhino

Joey Styles: This match has just been signed by Paul Heyman and it's actually part of two matches for the number one contendership to Bam Bam Bigelow's television championship.

Cyrus: That's right Joey, as a matter of fact next week right here at ecw on mtv, a second triple threat match between Justin Credible, Tajiri and Jerry Lynn will take place, and then a third and final triple threat match between the two winners and Bam Bam Bigelow is scheduled at Anarcy Rulz.. For the tv title.

Rhino is already in the ring, as Al Snow makes his way out and runs quickly down holding head right by his side. He slides into the ring and nails Rhino right over the face with head! Rhino gets back up but Al Snow nails him on his chin again with another shot! Snow covers 1...kick out! Mike Awesome runs down to the ring quickly to take part of the action. Al Snow picks Rhino up to his feet, and tries to get him up for a suplex, but Rhino begins punching him in the gut with some hard right hands. Mike Awesome then suddenly comes from behind and big boots Al Snow off of Rhino. The Man Beast drops to the mat and quietly slides under the ring. Awesome walks towards Al Snow and picks him up by his hair, putting his head right between his legs to hit an Awesome Bomb early on in the matchup, but Rhino comes running back into the ring with a warning sign and smashes it right over Mike Awesome's head! Awesome's still not falling, and Rhino just nails him over the head with it again! This time Awesome falls outside of the ring through the second and third rope. Rhino drops the warning sign and walks towards Al Snow, kicking him in the gut and irish whipping him across the ring, then catching him on the way back with a shoulder block. Rhino turns his attention off of Al Snow to check up on Mike Awesome, as Snow grabs the warning sign from the ground and as Rhino turns back around, he nails him right over the head with it! Snow gets back up and climbs up to the second turnbuckle. He jumps off and nails him yet again with the warning sign to the head! He covers 1...2..shoulder up!

Joey Styles: That was close.

Mike Awesome makes his way back up to the apron with a trash can lid. Al Snow turns around and notices him, but gets nailed right in the face four times with the trash can lid! Awesome runs into the ring and goes for a cover on Snow 1...2..kick out! Awesome picks Snow up to his feet and begins nailing him over the head with some right hands. He then irish whips him across the ring and catches him off the rebound with a vicious clotheline! Rhino is slowly getting back up to his feet, and Mike notices. He goes towards the turnbuckle, where Rhino's getting up, and irish whips him across the ring into the other turnbuckle, then squashes him with a clotheline. He the tries it again but Rhino holds on with all the strength he has, and is making it impossible for Awesome to get him to leave that corner. Awesome then miraculously irish whips him across the ring, but Rhino lands on the ropes instead of the turnbuckle, and then runs towards Mike Awesome, nailing him with THE GORE! Rhino gets back up and raises his arms, before going for the pin 1...2...Al Snow breaks the count.

Cyrus: Doesn't get much closer than that, Rhino must be pissed off.

Al Snow grabs Rhino up for a suplex, which he nails to perfection. He then quickly goes up to the top rope and hits a moonsault on Rhino, covering again 1...2...shoulder up! Al Snow seems to be getting impatient. He grabs head and waits for Rhino to get back up, but Mike Awesome gives him a big boot and sends him flying to the outside of the ring. Now Rhino is back up, and Awesome is taking advantage of it, putting his head between his legs and getting him up, then nailing the Awesome Bomb to perfection! Mike Awesome covers 1...2...Al Snow quickly runs into the ring with head and smashes it all over Mike Awesome, making him crawl over to the corner. Snow covers Rhino 1...2...3! Al Snow runs away with a victory!

Joey Styles: Al Snow's one of them that's going to meet Bam Bam Bigelow at Anarchy Rulz!

Winner: Al Snow

Overall Rating: 73%

We're taken backstage once again, with The Sandman walking around with a beer in his hand, drinking it up and relaxing. He once again sees a camera following him and stops. He takes his singapore cane and swings right at the camera, breaking it into a dozen pieces but not revealing anyone behind it. All of a sudden, he turns around and swings, nailing a man right in the face and taking off his robe, showing just some no name backstage worker. Another man comes running up from behind and nails Sandman over the head with a steel chain wrapped around his hand. He slowly removes the robe and reveals himself to be RAVEN! Sandman is on the ground, and Raven begins choking him out with the steel chain! Raven leaves the scene with Sandman on the ground begging for air.

Overall Rating: 93%

Jerry Lynn vs. Lance Storm

Lynn and Storm are staring each other down across the ring. They get into a high elbow tie up, until Storm slips out of it and holds Jerry Lynn from behind with an armbar. Jerry Lynn falls to the mat and throws Lance Storm over to the opposite turnbuckle, running towards him and nailing him on the head with a flying enzuiguiri to start the bout! Quick cover 1...2.kick out! Both men are back up to their feet and Lance Storm hits an arm drag on Jerry Lynn, and then another. He kicks him in the gut and scoop slams him to the ground, then giving him a leg drop. Storm grabs Jerry Lynn by the leg and tries to grab him tight into a submission hold, but Lynn reverses it into a small package 1...2...kick out! Both men are back up to their feet. Lynn kicks Storm in the stomach, then picks him up over his head for a suplex, but Lance lands on his feet behind Lynn, and grabs him up for a backdrop with bridge 1...2...kick out! Storm grabs Lynn up by his hair and grabs him right under his arm for a DDT position, but Lynn quickly moves out of the predicament and gives Lance Storm a neckbreaker. He then springboards himself from the second rope and misses a moonsault, with Lance Storm getting right back up to his feet and dropkicking Jerry Lynn right on the stomach in mid air!

Joey Styles: All I can say.. IS WOW!

Storm kicks Jerry Lynn in the gut and irish whips him across the ring, following him into the turnbuckle. Lynn uses the top turnbuckle to jump up and behind Lance Storm, then dropkick him towards the turnbuckle and grab him for a school boy 1...2..kick out! Lynn clothelines Storm down to the ground once, he then does it again, then kicks Storm in the stomach and pushes him towards the turnbuckle, where he begins punching and kicking him as hard as he could. Storm turns him around in the corner and begins chopping away at his chest now. He then takes his attention off of him to taunt the crowd, and Lynn nails him over the head with a forearm smash. He then jumps uo to the second turnbuckle and jumps off trying to nail Storm to the mat with a Flying Tornado DDT, but Storm catches him in mid air and reverses it into a northern lights suplex 1...2...kick out!

Joey Styles: WOW! I thought it was over right there!

Storm gets Lynn back up by his hair but he gets nailed in the face with some close fisted right hands by Lynn. Jerry then jumps up on Storm's shoulders and goes for a hurricanrana, but Lance Storm grabs him by the leg and turns it into some sort of submission manover. Lynn pulls out all he has and reverses the manover with incredible leg strength, sending Lance Storm flying through the second and third rope. He thne runs to the ropes, catapulting himself over with a somersault plancho right on top of Lance Storm on the outside! He picks Storm back up by his head and throws him back in the ring, jumping on the apron and slowly climbing up to the top rope. He then waits for Lance Storm to get back up to his feet and jumps off with a missile dropkick attempt. Storm moves out of the way and Lynn hits the referee right on the chin! Lynn is going over to check the ref, as Lance Storm waits for him to turn around and nails him right in the face with a superkick!

Joey Styles: What a cheap shot by Lance Storm!

Storm covers Lynn, but the referee is nowhere near consciousness. All of a sudden, Chris Candido comes running out to the ring with a lead pipe. He hits Lance Storm over the head with it, then throws it to the outside of the ring. He climbs up to the top rope and smiles as the crowd chants for him, before he jumps off and nails a perfectly executed Diving Headbutt that will keep Storm down to the mat no matter what. The referee is slowly starting to get back up, and now Candido is making his way outside of the ring. Jerry Lynn sees the situation and begins crawling over to Storm. He puts an arm over him and waits for Jim Mollineaux to crawl over as well for the cover. He begins counting slowly 1......2......3! Jerry Lynn has won it with the help of Chris Candido! Candido walks off the entrance ramp with a smile, staring down Lance Storm.

Winner: Jerry Lynn

Overall Rating: 80%

Shane Douglas is walking around backstage, showing backstage workers and some no-name wrestlers his heavyweight title belt. Tommy Dreamer suddenly comes running up from behind him with a steel chair, and nails him right over the head with it! Douglas drops his title, allowing for Dreamer to pick it up and hit The Franchise right on theh head with it, then standing over and posing with the belt with a sadistic smile on his face.

Tommy Dreamer: YOUR TITLE!? THIS IS MY TITLE, BITCH!

Overall Rating: 83%

Rob Van Dam and Sabu vs. The Dudley Boyz [Tag Team Title Tables Match]

All four men brawl for a few seconds to start the bout. Sabu clothelines D-Von to the outside, then jumps on the top rope and jumps right out on him to knock him down, leaving Buh Buh and RVD in the ring. Van Dam begins nailing Buh Buh with a combination of rights and lefts and some high karate kicks, sending him to the mat with a flying superkick afterwards. He then stands by Dudley and hits a standing moonsault, but obviously not going for the cover as it's a tables match. Sabu is on the outside trying to get a table, but D-Von comes up right behind him and hits him on the back of the head with some right hands. He then takes out a warning sign and tries to hit Sabu with it over the head, but Sabu moves out of the way and D-Von hits the steel steps with the warning sign. Sabu hits D-Von with some right hands of his own to the side of the head. He then quickly climbs up the steel steps and jumps on top of D-Von with a double axe handle smash! Van Dam is on the outside as well, grabbing a table and putting it right outside of the ring

Joey Styles: The first table is comin' on out!

Buh Buh slides under the ropes and tries to hit a right hand on Van Dam, who reverses it and hits a right hand of his own. RVD then kicks Buh Buh in the gut and sets him up right on the table. He looks over at Sabu on the other side and tells him to land on top of Bubba to smash him through the table. Sabu grabs a steel chair under the ring and walks towards Van Dam, who tells him to give Buh Buh an arabian facebuster through the table. Big Dick Dudley is now running down to the ring, and Sabu nails him right over the head with the steel chair before he could even make his way out of the entrance ramp. D-Von grabs the warning sign again and smashes Sabu over the head with it. Van Dam runs over to the scene and gets a piece of the warning sign on the forehead as well, splitting his head wide open. D-Von goes over to Buh Buh and takes him off the table, before the two walk over to RVD and Sabu and grab them up by their hair. Van Dam and Sabu then use a combination of right and lefts, then both Dudleyz being knocked to the concrete by spinning heel kicks. Sabu grabs another table, while Van Dam goes back to get the one he placed on the other side of the ring.

Joey Styles: What the hell are they thinking?

RVD sets the table up in front of the entrance ramp, while Sabu puts the other table right on top of it, without opening it up. He does the same with about three more tables, stacking them one on top of the other and waiting for Van Dam to put someone on it. RVD grabs D-Von up by his head and sets him up right on the four stacked tables, and holds his legs down. Sabu grabs a steel chair and goes back into the ring, where he jumps up to the top rope and looks to hit an arabian facebuster. Nobody can save D-Von now, but.. All of a sudden Buh Buh Ray Dudley comes running into RVD with a right hand, as Sabu jumps off the top rope, Buh Buh throws D-Von off the tables and Sabu lands right on the stacked tables with the steel chair, knocking himself right out cold! Buh Buh tries to get D-Von back into his senses, as they stare down Van Dam and look to set him through a table and win the match.

Joey Styles: Remember now, Sabu going through a table doesn't affect this match, as he fell into it on his own.

Cyrus: You actually need to PUT someone through a table to win.

Van Dam begins nailing D-Von and Buh Buh with some right hands, but both Dudleyz then knock him straight down to the mat with a double clotheline. D-Von runs over to go underneath the ring to grab another table, while Buh Buh is taking care of RVD on the side of the ring. All of a sudden, the cameras take us to D-Von, who opens up the apron and gets sprayed right in the face by some sort of mist! Buh Buh doesn't notice any of this, and D-Von runs into the fan railing, falling back into it. Spike Dudley then comes running out from underneath the ring as the fans cheer incredibly! Spike grabs a table from underneath the ring and places it against the turnbuckle on the outside. He then stands in front of Buh Buh to get him angry. Buh Buh begins chasing him around the ring, until Spike turns around the corner with the table and Sabu throws a chair right on Buh Buh's face! Sabu then uses all the strength he has left to place Buh Buh against the table and run towards him with a spinning heel kick with the steel chair as well, breaking right through the table! Spike raises his arms up as a sign of happyness for the Dudleyz losing this bout. Sabu, Van Dam and Spike walk off, leaving The Dudleyz down to the ring beaten and embarassed by their little brother again.

Winner: Rob Van Dam and Sabu

Overall Rating: 77

ECW ON MTV OVERALL RATING: 81

OFFICIAL TV RATING: 3.03

user posted image

- Last week live at ecw on mtv, Raven revealed himself as The Sandman's stalker after weeks of havoc.  Will the two confront each other this week live from Dayton, Ohio, and what will Raven have to say to justify his actions? Also, the second triple threat match for the television title tournament is set for this week, with the winner entering a final triple threat match against Al Snow and Bam Bam Bigelow at Anarchy Rulz.  Lance Storm screwed Chris Candido two weeks ago, and Chris Candido screwed Lance Storm last week.  Will the mind games continue this week as well? Also, Spike Dudley helped Rob Van Dam and Sabu retain their tag team titles against his older brothers, giving a low blow to their careers once again.  What will the Dudleyz have to say about Spike's latest interference? And what about Taz? The human suplex machine challenged anyone in the world for the FTW championship at anarchy rulz, but his challenge went unanswered for week one.  Will anyone accept his challenge on the upcoming ECW on MTV?

PRE-SCHEDULED MATCHES

Justin Credible vs. Stevie Richards vs. Steve Corino

user posted image

ECW HARDCORE TV REPORT

Danny Doring and Roadkill def. The Hardcore Chair Swinging Freaks

In a close bout, Danny Doring picks up the pin on Balls Mahoney with the Mamma Jamma Legdrop off the top rope.

CROWD REACTION: 57%

MATCH QUALITY: 82%

OVERALL RATING: 69%

Lance Storm brutally destroyed Chris Candido backstage, including a superkick that sent Candido smashing through a table.

OVERALL RATING: 75%

Super Crazy fought Tajiri to a draw

In a fantastic match, Super Crazy and Tajiri were both counted out and continued to brawl to the back, until Super Crazy knocked both himself and Tajiri out with a moonsault from a ladder onto the concrete.

CROWD REACTION: 62%

MATCH QUALITY: 100%

OVERALL RATING: 81%

The Sandman cut a promo telling Raven to go fuck himself, and go back to wcw or the wwf, where he's actually wanted.  He challenges him for Anarchy Rulz to a FIGHT, not a match.

OVERALL RATING: 83%

Bam Bam Bigelow def. New Jack to retain the Television Championship

Pretty good bout here for the tv title.  Bigelow retained for the right to participate in the anarchy rulz triple threat match for his belt.  New Jack was left in the ring bloody after a vicious attack from Bigelow after the match.

CROWD REACTION: 69%

MATCH QUALITY: 86%

OVERALL RATING: 77%

OVERALL VELOCITY RATING: 77%

OFFICIAL TV RATING: 0.11

ATTENDANCE: 3001

TICKET SALES: $ 90030

Edited by HaasOfPain

WrestleCircle.com News

Sal E. Graziano has officially been released from his contract on sunday, august 21st, 1998. After a gruesome elbow injury at a house show event, Sal E. Graziano was diagnosed to be out for 16 months. The original decision was to let Sal E. Graziano either sit out his six month deal, or re-sign at an open contract for the next two years. No agreement was made, and Graziano was released of his contract earlier today.

The rumors have been storming around the ecw as of late as far as who will answer Taz's challenge for Anarchy Rulz. Paul Heyman has already decided on the man that will take on the Human Suplex Machine, but he has been able to leave it unrevealed even to his roster. Many have speculated that it is indeed a wwf or wcw wrestler, that has just been released from the companies. WCW's latest releases include Wrath, Brian Knobbs and CW Anderson, but we still haven't been able to find out which one of those men it actually is, if it's one of them at all.

• 1 year later...