WCW's Second Chance

user posted image

The fireworks and pyro dispersed as thousands of screaming WCW fans were ready for the next installment of WCW Sunday Night. The cameras panned down to the announcer's table, catching as many cheering fans and pro-WCW signs as possible.

Tenay: "Welcome to WCW Sunday Night ladies and gentlemen and what a night we have set."

Rhodes: "What a night indeed, Tenay, but what a week it has been in WCW. Nitro was explosive, pun intended. We saw Sean O'Haire claim the WCW United States Title sending Sting into a frenzy, the debuting Unholy Alliance advanced to Spring Stampede and the Ladder Match, Juventud Guerrera and Psicosis returned and scored a big upset over KroniK, and to top it all off, Curt Hennig defied The Program and defeated Jeff Jarrett to advance to the World Title match at Spring Stampede!"

Tenay: "Nitro was indeed off the hook, Dusty, but we have some quality matches lined up for you right here tonight, in fact we have one starting right now, one of our premier cruiserweights, Chavo Guerrero Jr. is on his way out!"

Chavo Guerrero Jr. vs. Matt Cross

They locked up and Chavo put Cross in a headlock. He cranked it for a couple of seconds then hit a headlock takeover and kept the hold on grounded. Cross got a headscissors on Chavo which he broke out of and they returned to their feet. They locked up again and Chavo slipped into a waistlock and took Cross down Olympic-style then swung round into a grounded front facelock. Cross rolled through into a hammerlock, Chavo got to a standing position and reversed into a hammerlock of his own and then hooked Cross with his spare arm and slammed him down on the trapped arm! Cross writhed in pain and Chavo continued the assault locking on an armbar. Cross wouldn't quit and Chavo forced a knee into his bicep, increasing the pain. He still wouldn't quit so Chavo brought him up to a standing position and wrenched the arm then wrenched it again forcing Matt to flip onto his back, Chavo then leg dropped the arm and took it into short-arm scissors. Cross still wouldn't quit. Chavo outstretched the arm then pushed up on it and three times dropped his knees down onto the arm and then returned to his original armbar. Cross still wouldn't give it up and Chavo got angry. He dragged him up and sent him off the ropes, Cross ducked a clothesline and came back with one of his own but Chavo caught in and dropped a jumping arm-breaker and then immediately sinched in a vicious cross-armbreaker forcing Matt Cross to tap out hastily.

Winner: Chavo Guerrero Jr.

Tenay: "Chavo Jr. really showing his submission-style prowess there, Dusty."

Rhodes: "Oh yeah, Chavo's a master of many styles, not a fan of his attitude but you can't deny his in-ring ability, the guy's been around pro wrestling since he was three years old."

Tenay: "Folks, apparently we're going backstage for some words from The Program."

Bischoff, Jarrett and new US Champion O'Haire appear on the screen, they are all straight faced and Bischoff gets straight to the point.

Bischoff: "Curt Hennig, your actions on Nitro were completely unacceptable. We made a deal and I expected you to stand by it. Unfortunately, because I trusted your word, which was a big mistake on my part in your defence, there was nothing in your contract to say you had to comply to this deal. But, Curt, don't think you're off the hook that easily, because don't think I can't fire you right here, right now, I can't hire and fire whoever the hell I want. But where would be the fun in that? One by one, more WCW superstars will realise how to get to the top of WCW, and one by one, more and more will 'get with The Program', and every single one that does, is another enemy round every corner, in every room, at every meeting, on every show, in every match and eventually this whole damn organisation will be gunning for you, Curt Hennig, and that's when the fun begins."

Jarrett: "Curt Hennig, I want you to know right now, slap nutz, that if you do somehow, in some obscure quake in the fate of the world, pull it out and win the WCW Title at Spring Stampede, I will be right there demanding a title match, because nobody deserves the title more than me, I'm The Chosen One, I am a gift to WCW and gifts are to be received with gratitude. My gratitude from WCW is carrying the World Heavyweight Title. Your deceit and lack of conscience may have got you ahead on Nitro, but it won't last long, you ain't perfect no more, Curt, but I am Chosen, and my God, will you know about it!"

O'Haire: "Y'know I'm not at all happy about this whole Curt Hennig thing, but I can't help but be slightly happier than my friends here, because you know what happened Monday night? I pinned Sting clean in the middle of the ring, one....two....three. Everybody's favourite, everybody's hero, the saviour of WCW, fell hard and fast to "The American Sensation" Sean O'Haire. Sting, I know you're angry, and it's more than justified, hell I'm not even out of my rookie year, and here I am beating the 16-year veteran, the 16-year veteran who filled arenas to capacity with Ric Flair, the 7 time WCW World Heavyweight Champion, the man who nearly single-handedly took on the nWo. How does it make you feel, Sting? Is it a harsh realisation that your time is over? Get the hell out of my limelight old man, because it's the era of The American Sensation, Sean O'Haire."

The screen fades out and returns to the arena.

Tenay: "Things really aren't looking good for Curt Hennig and Sting."

Rhodes: "And what the hell is this American Sensation thing about? Now he's got that US Title, he's the American Sensation, O'Haire is arrogant beyond his years."

Tenay: "Deservedly arrogant, though?"

Rhodes: "We'll see soon enough."

Tenay: "Well it's time for our next match, folks!"

Dustin Rhodes vs. Lance Cade

Cade wastes no time trying to leave an impression by running in a shoulder blocking Rhodes. He doesn't budge. Cade starts to back off and Rhodes clotheslines him down. He gets up again, another clothesline. Up again, a third. Up a fourth time and Rhodes gives him a big sidewalk slam then comes off the ropes and drops an elbow right in Lance Cade's heart. Rhodes picks him up and puts him in the corner and gives him a couple of punches then drags him back into the middle of the ring, sets him up and piledrives him into the mat. He pins, 1.....2.....3!"

Winner: Dustin Rhodes

Tenay: "Quick victory there for someone I think you know better than me."

Rhodes: "The boy follows in the footsteps of his father, legend in the making is Dustin."

Tenay: "Well here comes our next match and another guy who could be a legend in the making, this guy's huge and he don't take no nonsense!"

The Wall vs. Adam Flash

Flash runs at The Wall but gets lifted straight up in a military press and slammed down onto his back! The Wall picks him up and whips him into the corner then runs in with a crushing clothesline before choking him over the top turnbuckle with his foot. He pulls him into the middle of the ring and body slams him then follows it up with a gigantic leg drop. The Wall signals for the finish, picks Flash up and chokeslams him. 1....2....3!

Winner: The Wall

Tenay: "Well, Dusty, who do you think got the quickest victory?"

Rhodes: "Like it or not, I think I've gotta say The Wall, the whole WCW roster is really impressive right now."

Tenay: "WCW has the best collaberation of wrestling superstars in the world and these kind of matches show how effective and dominant some of them are."

The screen fades out and re-appears backstage where Curt Hennig is standing with Mean Gene Okerlund.

Gene: "Curt Hennig, did you hear the words from The Program earlier this evening?"

Curt: "Yeah you're too right I did, Gene, I heard 'em loud and clear. Bischoff, Jarrett, let me remind you exactly who it was that beat who on Monday. Bischoff, you say you're gonna turn the whole of WCW against, well bring it on because I will take them all on, one at a time, two at a time, ten at a time, all at the same damn time if you like, and I will be the one left standing. I've worked too long and hard in this business to listen to punks like you Eric Bischoff. And as for you Jeff Jarrett you give yourself way too much credit, Jarrett you're not even in my league, hell, you can barely say we're in the same business, I am that many times better than you. And one last thing, Sting, buddy, I got your back if needs be."

We return to the arena.

Tenay: "Wow, The Program's words haven't phased Curt Hennig in the slightest, he's ready to take on the world!"

Rhodes: "Words won't phase Curt Hennig, Tenay, Hennig is one of the best wrestlers in the business today and in the last decade, there are few people I respect more than Hennig."

Tenay: "Well, we have a great match for you now as Psicosis and Juventud Guerrera, calling themselves Psycho Juice, returned on Monday night to upset KroniK in the KroniK open invitational and now they're here on WCW Sunday Night!"

Psycho Juice (Psicosis and Juventud Guerrera) vs. Cassidy O'Reilly and Rob Conway

Juvi and Conway start off, locking up. They tussle and Juvi takes Conway into a wristlock. Conway goes into a wristlock of his own. Juvi reverses into a hammerlock, Conway goes into a hammerlock and then steps forward into a headlock. Juvi backs up and pushes him off the ropes and shoulder blocks him down. He runs off the ropes and Conway sleeps in front of him, Juvi jumps him and runs back, Conway leapfrogs him, Juvi runs back and Conway goes to hip-toss him but Juvi turns inwards and manages to monkey flip Conway! Conway gets up and takes a hard dropkick to the chest and then gets up again and receives an armdrags. Conway crawls over to the ropes. Juvi drags him up and tags in Psicosis. Juvi wrenches Conway's arm and Psicosis jumps off the top rope and missile dropkick's it! Conway is in agony but starts to get to his feet only to walk into a springboard crossbody from Psicosis. 1....2.....Conway kicks out. Psicosis goes to pick him up but he breaks away, scrabbles to his corner and tags O'Reilly. O'Reilly runs at Psicosis but receives a drop-toe-hold. He gets to his feet and Psicosis hits a tilt-a-whirl flying headscissors sending Reilly reeling. He runs back and Psicosis grabs him and hits a standing tornado DDT and Cassidy is knocked out in the middle of the ring. Psicosis tags Juvi and they scale opposite turnbuckles. Simultaneously Juvi hits a 450 Splash and Psicosis hits the Guillotine Legdrop on O'Reilly! Reilly instinctively rolls towards his corner and Conway reluctantly tags as Cassidy tumbles out to ringside. Conway runs in, Juvi picks him up for the Juvi Driver. Psicosis climbs the top rope....SPIKE JUVI DRIVER!! They both pin Conway. 1....2....3!

Winners: Psycho Juice (Psicosis and Juventud Guerrera)

Tenay: "Wow, what a win. Ladies and gentlemen I was talking to these two earlier and they told me about that move, they call it The Juicer!"

Rhodes: "These two are better than ever now, Tenay. They have huge futures in WCW."

Tenay: "Well I'm being told we're going backstage where Gene Okerlund is with Lance Storm."

Gene: "Lance Storm, tomorrow night on Nitro you take on Diamond Dallas Paige and the winner of that match will meet Curt Hennig at Spring Stampede for the WCW World Title."

Storm: "Thanks for the update, Okerlund, I didn't realise.....tomorrow night, Paige, be prepared for the match of your life because you're used to wrestling guys with flashy trademark moves, brawlers, big guys, but you're in for a shock, because I was trained in the Dungeon, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and I know 1000 ways to beat you, and I'm willing to utilize any of them. You best have your game on DDP, because I know I will."

Tenay: "Well some interesting comments from Lance Storm there, he seems to be pretty confident."

Rhodes: "He has reason to be confident, Mike, but that almost seemed cocky and you should never get cocky around DDP because if you get arrogant in the match and make a mistake he'll blast you with that Diamond Cutter of his out of no where and you'll be out like a light."

Tenay: "Very true. Well it's time for our main event tonight folks, here's the rookie Mark Jindrak who could be one of the best pound for pound athletes in WCW."

Mark Jindrak vs. Crowbar

They lock up and Jindrak takes Crowbar into a wristlock. Crowbar rolls forward then rolls back, nips up and gets Jindrak into a wristlock of his own. Jindrak rolls forward, rolls back then goes to nip up but Crowbar puts his foot on Jindrak's chest! Crowbar drops a leg to Jindrak's arm then gets up. Jindrak gets up and Crowbar dropkicks him back down. Crowbar goes to whip Jindrak into the corner but Jindrak reverses then runs in but misses a clothesline. Crowbar goes for a backslide on Jindrak but he fights it then gets a backslide of his own on Crowbar. 1....2.....Crowbar kicks out. Crowbar gets up and runs at Jindrak but Jindrak sidesteps then hip tosses Crowbar. Jindrak elbow drops Crowbar three times in a row and goes for a cover. 1....2.....Crowbar kicks out. Jindrak pulls him up and slams him to the mat then pulls him up again and hits a suplex. Jindrak cockily climbs to the top rope, laughing as he goes. He gets to the top and poses only to get crotched when Crowbar bounces off the ropes. Crowbar heads up top and hits a superplex on Jindrak. He can't make the cover and they both get counted down. 1.....2.....3.....4.....5.....6....they both manage to get to their feet. Jindrak runs in with a clothesline, Crowbar ducks, he turns round and Crowbar hooks him up and hits the Mindbender! Crowbar covers. 1...2....3!

Winner: Crowbar

Tenay: "Great match there, Dusty with the unorthodox Crowbar coming out on top."

Rhodes: "But I've gotta say, with a bit more experience behind him, Jindrak's gonna be great."

Tenay: "I think so too. Well folks, that's all for tonight, enjoy Nitro tomorrow because it's gonna be stacked and loaded!"

Overall Show Rating - 64%

user posted image

- PREVIEW -

This Monday we see the last in the two semi-final matches in the WCW World Heavyweight Title tournament when Diamond Dallas Paige will take on "The Canadian Superstar" Lance Storm, the winner of this match will go on to Spring Stampede this Sunday to take on Curt Hennig in a match to re-crown the WCW World Heavyweight Championship!

In a preview of the WCW World Cruiserweight Title 20-Man Invitational Battle Royal at Spring Stampede, former champion Shane Helms will go one on one with Jamie Noble who will also be entering the match!

"The Total Package" Lex Luger, "Big Sexy" Kevin Nash and "Big Poppa Pump" Scott Steiner will compete in a three way dance with the winner becoming the #1 contendor for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship and getting a title shot next week on Nitro, the night after Spring Stampede!

The Program's "Department Of Grievances" "The American Sensation" Sean O'Haire, who won the WCW United States Title last week will attempt to prove his worth as champion when he takes on one of his fellow entrants in last week's gauntlet match, Hugh Morrus!

The Program's "Chosen One" Jeff Jarrett who was on the receiving end of Curt Hennig's self-liberation last week will team up with the man who despises the mere existance of Hennig, "Nature Boy" Ric Flair to take on Curt Hennig himself and any partner of his choosing!

After last week's events "The Franchise" Shane Douglas will team up with The Unholy Alliance, Mikey Whipwreck and Yoshihiro Tajiri to take on The Filthy Animalz, Konnan, Rey Mysterio Jr., and Billy Kidman. This will be a preview of Sunday's ladder match featuring Mysterio/Kidman and Tajiri/Whipwreck as well as Mysterio getting a chance at revenge after his assault last week, after Kidman was attacked by an unknown assailant what condition will he be in? As well as all this, the Sinister Minister will be at ringside and no doubt Torrie Wilson, who's been playing with Billy Kidman will be out supporting her man, Shane Douglas!

• 2 weeks later...

user posted image

- "The Chosen One" Jeff Jarrett, one third of The Program has been in talks with Eric Bischoff and has now laid down the challenge on WCW.com for anybody in the world to come to Spring Stampede, and if they can beat him in a straight singles contest they will win a full tournament by and advance to the main event to compete in a three way dance with the tournament finalists Curt Hennig and Lance Storm for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship crown. Jeff Jarrett has stated that after suffering his embarrassing loss to Curt Hennig in the semi-final match last week he feels the need to  re-prove himself to Eric Bischoff as a worthy member of the roster and he feels that if he adds the WCW World Title incentive to the match it will assure his opponents are at their maximum capacity.

• 1 year later...