John Daly v Niagara Falls

Guest Booker T & The MG's

p1_080305_daly_ap.jpg

Hazard of all hazards

Daly comes up short in 342-yard, international drive

NIAGARA FALLS, Ontario (AP) -- John Daly teed up Wednesday in front of the biggest water hazard of his career -- Niagara Falls -- but fell short in his attempts at a 342-yard, international drive.

Daly tried 20 times to drive a golf ball across the Falls from Canada into the United States, his full-body swings growing more frenetic as ball after ball sailed into the white mist churned up from the gorge below.

"I can't hit any better than this," he said after his 15th shot from atop a two-tier platform. His target was a yellow flag across the river.

The five-time PGA Tour winner came closest on the second ball, which bounced off the wall just short of the target.

"I killed that. That's all I got," he said after the next shot.

An announcer waiting at the target reported the misses to Daly and the few thousand people watching the stunt, which was broadcast live on Canadian television. "There's nothing, sorry guys," the announcer said at one point.

Daly's longest drive in competition this year is 356 yards.

Earlier Wednesday, Daly helped open the nearby Thundering Waters Golf Club, a course his company designed.

With his Niagara Falls spectacle, Daly added his name to a long list of stuntmen and women who have set out to beat the natural wonder that has been drawing tourists, and challengers, since the early 1800s.

And while Daly's attempt was not of the death-defying variety attempted by the barrel-riders and tightrope walkers who have found mixed success, it was intended for the record books.

The Horseshoe Falls, where Daly drove, are 176 feet high, dumping 748,000 gallons of water per second.

The PGA Championship is being held here in NJ next week. It's probably too late to buy tickets now but I actually wanna get my first taste of a PGA Tour event.