Grateful Dead

Guest fultie

Guest fultie

I want to start getting more into this band... can you guys name some favorites? If you want to say Casey Jones, that's fine, but I'm really looking for stuff that's less well-known

If you're looking for an alternative to "Truckin" and "Casey Jones", a good start would be to purchase a copy of the album "Anthem of the Sun". "Blues For Allah" is another good album with no radio songs. "One from the Vault" is a live version of "Blues for Allah", with a few more tunes tossed in. Another excellent choice.

After you listen to that, PM me and I'll tell you where to go from there.

Have a Grateful Day!

:)

Guest fultie

haha.. awesome, i've been interested in buying Anthem Of The Sun for a long time now actually, but everytime I'm at a record store it's all greatists hits shit.. and i'm not too keen on buying records off the net.. am i sol?

Guest Locutus of Borg

"Terrapin Station" (the live one) and "From the Mars Hotel" are good. If you're just trying to get your feet wet, "American Beauty" would probably be one of the best to start with. Live recordings are probably the way to go, though, like some from the "Dick's Picks" series.

Also check out some of the Jerry Garcia Band stuff, especially the recording "After Midnight".

If you're going to buy American Beauty (or Workingman's Dead, for that matter) and you have a dvd player with surround sound that can play DVD-Audio (DVD-A), then DEFINITELY buy the DVD-Audio versions of these two. Same goes for you, Locutus. These were remixed into surround sound by Mickey Hart from the original source tapes (including bits that weren't in the original releases such as additional instruments and vocals), and blow the original stereo cd's away by a mile!!!

I had read that Mickey was going to redo more Dead albums this way, but I haven't seen them around (mainly because I haven't been looking very hard), including (I think it was) Terrapin and Shakedown St.

Terrapin Station is a very cool album, indeed, and very approachable when starting out. For live stuff, I'd almost recommend some of the videos before going into the Dick's Picks cd series. So Far is a pretty good video choice.

Guest Locutus of Borg

I've got the re-issue "American Beauty" (not sure if it's DVD-A) with about 6 or 7 bonus tracks.

If you want some other live stuff, try to find some of the recordings off of Archive.org or FurtherNet (all legal). Especially the stuff from the 70's while it's up because they're starting to go through and take them down to put them out a la "Dick's Picks".

Also, Besmirched, have you been able to check out Hart's new project Hydra with Particle? I haven't heard them, but read an interview about it with Hart in the issue before last of Relix (you might want to pick up this month's issue, a tribute to 40 Years of the Grateful Dead, and 10 years since Jerry). I've got Particle's album "Launchpad" pretty good stuff. Kind of a jamming techno/dance music.

Guest Locutus of Borg

If it was me, I'd be getting the three-day pass, but I like most of the bands playing there.

Of the lineup I've only seen Medeski, Martin & Wood, Global Funk, and Keller Williams (MMW and KW were at Harvestfest, about 30 minutes from my house, and Global Funk was at my city's music festival), but they were amazing shows. I also saw Robert Walter, but he was playing with 20th Congress when I saw him at Harvestfest, though it was still a good performance. I've got a couple of live cds of STS9, Soulive and Galactic and all three are great (I really like STS9).

STS9 and Spearhead have both played at Horning's Hideout during the big String Cheese bashes they put on over here. Had to go to NYC to see duo on NYE with Mike Gordon playing with them. If he was with them this time, that would seal it up for me right there. As it sits, I'm on the fence still. I'll probably buckle and get the 3day, because the 1day passes will be gone by the time I decide.