Javed Miandad "steps down"

sahyder1

Pakistan cricket

Woolmer to replace Miandad

Wisden Cricinfo staff

June 16, 2004

Pakistan have replaced Javed Miandad as coach of the national team with Bob Woolmer, the former England batsman and South Africa coach.

Miandad, who was in his third stint as Pakistan's coach, was under contract to hold the position until April 2005, but he and the board decided to go their separate ways in the wake of the recent Test and one-day series against India, both of which Pakistan lost.

Shaharyar Khan, chairman of the Pakistan board (PCB), said today, "Woolmer has agreed to be our national team coach which is a matter of great satisfaction for us. Miandad wanted to be released from the job and we felt we should honour his request."

Miandad, 47, reportedly became increasingly unimpressed at the level of criticism which came flying his way after the defeat to India, and he even threatened to stand down back in April because of it. "I am sure that this team has the potential to bounce back, and I can guide this team to improve," he said then, "but I will quit if there are major shake-ups in the team management."

The main areas of criticism were for his alleged unprofessional approach as the coach, and the indiscipline of his bowlers and fielders. There were even enquiries into some players faking injuries during that series as well. Miandad's previous two spells as coach also ended in controversy: the first time around, he quit after disgareements with his senior players, 15 days before the 1999 World Cup; the second time, he was sacked. "His contract has been terminated," Khan confirmed today, adding "We offered him to serve as national cricket advisor but he has declined."

Woolmer, his replacement, played 19 Tests for England between 1975 and 1981, and coached the South Africans for four years. He had been working as the ICC's high-performance manager, but has now been signed up to coach Pakistan until the 2007 World Cup.

"It was not easy to get a coach of Woolmer's status, who is a pioneer and highly respected," said Khan, "but through negotiations we have convinced him to take the job before the Asia Cup until the 2007 World Cup in West Indies."

© Wisden Cricinfo Ltd

Grrr......Javed Miandad is easily my favorite cricket player of all time and it's ridiculous that the upper management can't wake up. Miandad should've been allowed to stick with this group until the 2007 World Cup.

THIS IS pakistan and nothing is unpredictable. There were already rumours and they proved true. But ayaz, he wasn't a GREAT batsman. Only his 6 in 1986 against India made him a hero. Othrwise, he sucks

THIS IS pakistan and nothing is unpredictable. There were already rumours and they proved true. But ayaz, he wasn't a GREAT batsman. Only his 6 in 1986 against India made him a hero. Othrwise, he sucks

ok, I've defended you on this board in the past but you're either retarded or know absolutely nothing about cricket. The only man in history to play in 6 World Cups. Had an average of 52.47 for his test career. He had an inning of 280*.....would've been more if the inning hadn't been declared.

Guest Red Devil

I'm disappointed with this decision to replaced Javed Miandad, he was one of my all time favorite cricketers and I'm not to clever on cricketers outside of Pakistan so who is Bob Woolmer?

Woolmer offers olive branch

Wisden Cricinfo staff

June 17, 2004

Javed Miandad - offered an olive branch © Getty Images

Bob Woolmer, Pakistan's newly appointed coach, has offered an olive branch to his angry predecessor Javed Miandad, by asking for his help in carrying the team forward.

Miandad was yesterday relieved of his duties, just one year into his third term as Pakistan's coach, and replaced by Woolmer, who had previously been the ICC's high-performance director. It was a decision that enraged Miandad, who described the Pakistan Cricket Board's actions as "unethical".

Woolmer, however, is keen to make his peace with a man who remains one of the most powerful figures in Pakistan cricket. "I know Javed is not a happy man at the moment, but I would like his input," Woolmer told BBC Sport. "He would be very important in guiding me on how to run the show."

"I played against Javed, I've been to his house in Pakistan for a meal,and he would be very important," Woolmer added. "It's his decision, but along with others in the country his advice would be invaluable. It's up to me to sift through the advice, and bring the whole of Pakistan cricket together."

Miandad has already refused an offer from the PCB to become their national advisor on cricket development, but he has already wished Woolmer all the best in the new job. "He is a foreign coach," said Miandad, "and I wish him the best of luck on his assignment. It is going to be a tough one."

Player Profile

About that innings of 280 not out and all the fuss about Imran's rivalry, that maybe true, I still think it was Miandad's luck. Hell, even Wasim Akram can make 257.

About the average of 52.something, more than 14/15 players have achieved it. With majority of them doing it in the last 10 years. Don't live in the past, Ayaz

About that innings of 280 not out and all the fuss about  Imran's rivalry, that maybe true, I still think it was Miandad's luck. Hell, even Wasim Akram can make 257.

About the average of 52.something, more than 14/15 players have achieved it. With majority of them doing it in the last 10 years. Don't live in the past, Ayaz

You're pretty stupid. Of the guys who've played 100 test matches, Miandad ranks 3rd. Th 280 wasn't the whole point.....his career was. Who better to be a coach of a young Pakistani team then the guy this whole team grew up looking up to. Simple as that. Canadians would love for Gretzky to be their hockey coach, Americans would love for Jordan to be their basketball coach, Brazilians would love for Pele to be their soccer coach. It's simply how it works.

Whole team grew up looking to? If you read one of the current interviews of the Pakistani's, MAJORITY have their favourites people like Imran Khan, Hanif Mohammed, Fazal Mahmood, Waqar Younis, Zaheer Abbas. Even Wasim Bari. When you come back then you'll know that there is this change. As for coaching, not everyone can do that. Zaheer Abbas is a great coach. Omar Kurieshi, commentator is a great one too. Miandad led Pakistan to defeat against Bangladesh ?!?

Whole team grew up looking to? If you read one of the current interviews of the Pakistani's, MAJORITY have their favourites people like Imran Khan, Hanif Mohammed, Fazal Mahmood, Waqar Younis, Zaheer Abbas. Even Wasim Bari. When you come back then you'll know that there is this change. As for coaching, not everyone can do that. Zaheer Abbas is a great coach. Omar Kurieshi, commentator is a great one too. Miandad led Pakistan to defeat against Bangladesh ?!?

First of all if you don't think that the match against Bangladesh was thrown away.....you're extremely naive. The young players on this team were like 2 years old in the days of Zaheer Abbas and Hanif Mohammed.