Ralf Schumacher out three months

sahyder1

Ralf Schumacher out three months

TSN.ca Staff

6/30/2004

For the second time in less than a year, Marc Gene will replace Ralf Schumacher at a Formula One race.

BMW-Williams confirmed on Wednesday that Schumacher's injuries suffered in a crash at the U.S. Grand Prix had not healed sufficiently to allow him to get back behind the wheel of a race car.

Recent tests revealed the German, who turns 29 on Wednesday, suffered two spinal fractures and will require a three month healing period.

"I wish Ralf well for a full recovery, and I hope to see him back racing before the end of the season," said team principal Frank Williams. "In the meantime, we are fortunate to have a driver of Marc's calibre to fill the void."

"To be honest, I imagined my birthday would be rather different," said Schumacher on his personal website. "(The) diagnosis was a real blow. But so be it. What's happened has happened. The injury is worse than feared. I have to get through it."

Williams added that while Gene will be in the seat for France, future driver decisions will be made at a later date.

Schumacher suffered a concussion and a back injury after spinning and slamming heavily into the concrete barrier at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on June 20. He has said that he has no memory of the accident.

Schumacher's recovery could keep him sidelined until the Grand Prix of China, scheduled for the end of September. That would mean at least six races in which Williams could test any potential replacements for 2005.

"It is a shame that opportunities only come along when one of my colleagues has endured some kind of misadventure, but it is my job to make the best of such circumstances and ensure the team is not compromised by Ralf's absence," said Gene, who replaced Schumacher at last year's Italian Grand Prix following a high speed crash in testing.

This was a pretty bad crash. He's one of my favorites in F1 so this sucks but it obviously could've been a lot worse given the way the crash happened.