Cleaning a SNES

James Casey

A while back I got a hankering for some retro gaming, so I hit eBay to pick up some of the stuff I needed to get my SNES up and running again. Unfortunately, with new controllers, games and leads, I sat down for an evening's gaming only for the fuse to blow in the console itself, so I had to get a second-hand SNES as well.

I set it all up last night, but it seems like the connectors on the console are dirty. I tried various games, but the most I got on-screen was the Nintendo logo on one game - so at least I know it's kinda working, and the cartridges don't seem to be the problem.

I've blown on the connectors, and used damp/dry cotton buds to wipe them down as well, but it's not worked. Someone on another forum suggested compressed air. Anyone here have any tips that might work?

Guest Koupa Troopa

Use rubbing alchohol and Q-tips to get the connectors and the connectors in your games clean. Of course make sure it doesn't drip anywhere but that's what I do for the copper connectors.