November 2007 Photography Contest

NOVEMBER PHOTOGRAPHY COMPETITION

The Rules: Nature. Take a photograph of something you feel captures nature in its finest. Be sure to try and make it both visually interesting and with a valid subject matter (i.e.: don't take a picture of your car and expect it to be accepted without some sort of explanation of how your car captures nature in its finest).

The Specifics: You may not use Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or any image editing software to manipulate your picture in any fashion. For this first contest, we will not allow color corrections: basically, do not edit your picture at all once you take it off your camera and onto your computer. This is all honor-system based, so we're trusting that no-one tries to edit their image anyway and simply not mention it. If somehow you're discovered to have edited the image anyway, you will be disqualified from this and possibly any other Photography contests. Be advised.

The Deadline: November 23rd

Edited by The Mask of Norro

No colour correction makes this hard for me. ;-) I´ll very likely end up with a flattening grey tint. Hmm, I seem to have deleted my nature examples, to bad. Any Tips on getting brighter colores to begin with?

Anyway, it might prolly be a good idea to get a basic book about photography, the ones I got were between free and five euro and they do the trick. Keep in mind your not doing holiday or party pictures here. ;-)

Otherwise googel, there’s a lot of decent pages.

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/toc.html

http://www.best-family-photography-tips.co...raphy-tips.html

Resizing is fine, yeah, forgot to mention that. However, you can't do anything else to the image than that.

• 2 weeks later...

REMEMBER EVERYONE: THIS FRIDAY IS THE DEADLINE!

And I give you the Badlands:

badlands1or8.jpg

Link: http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/9731/badlands1or8.jpg

Badlands, taken Summer before last. If doubted I can email the original file to whomever. Chosen as nature at it's finest because it is completely untouched and just the way it was year upon years ago.

Edited by Gene Kiniski

THE CONTEST HAS OFFICIALLY ENDED.

MY JUDGMENTS ARE CURRENTLY BEING MADE, AND I WILL BE CONTACTING OTHER POTENTIAL JUDGES TO ASSIST IN THE SCORING.

SCORES AND RESULTS WILL BE POSTED ON FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 30TH. NEXT MONTH'S CONTEST WILL THEN BEGIN ON SATURDAY, DECEMBER 1ST.

ALL CONTESTS WILL BE ALLOWED TO RUN AGAIN NEXT MONTH FOR A FINAL TRIAL RUN. DEPENDING ON THE CONSISTENCY OF PEOPLE SHOWING UP/NUMBER OF ENTRIES IN GENERAL, SOME CONTESTS MAY OR MAY NOT STAY FOR THE NEW YEAR.

No no, I mean, it's not up for public voting. Like the graphic competitions of the past, I'm getting a few judges to come in and send me their scores for everyone based on a 10-point system.

Public voting usually isn't allowed due to potential vote-stacking and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

I only need one more volunteer judge to be able to post results for this contest. If anyone is interested, PM me your results. Otherwise, results will be up later Monday.

This is why it's a trial thing.

I can't have a conclusion to this until I have a third judge, because having two judges won't work, and that's all I have for this contest and the other one still waiting to finish.

So until someone steps up and actually judges this and the other contest, we can't move forward.

The reason I've called these things "trial contests" is because it allows me to see not only the activity of the people getting involved in the competition, but the activity of the people willing to judge.

And right now, it's looking like the wrestling one really has an edge over the others.