CBS EliteXC Live Thread

Guest Mr. Potato Head

For Kimbo next, Cabbage is the best way to go. IMO, Cabbage and James were the two best "names" for Kimbo after Tank, so by all means, bring on the next brawler for Kimbo to beat at his own game.

People were saying Paul Buentello and Alistair Overeem would be good choices for Kimbo before they picked James. People even wanted him to go up against Antion Silva! I hope the entire MMA community packs their brains back into the ears so we can debate competition suitable for the EXC/Kimbo express to roll over.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The show did a 2.7 rating in prime time. The final rating will be higher because that number only counts 9-11 p.m. The peak half hour was a 4.7 for Kimbo Slice vs. James Thompson and that was after 11 p.m. Full ratings will be out on Tuesday but it's likely to be in the 3.0 to 3.1 range.

The overall number isn't through the roof but the growth was outstanding. It was No. 1 for the night in 18-34 and 18-49 as well as all male demos.

So with a 3.0 to 3.1 it will pretty much tie the highest rated MMA fight in Shamrock/Ortiz.

Edited by Fitzy

Guest Dr. Potato Head

Fitzy, I can't tell if that last part was meant as a good thing, a bad thing, or a general comment.

I think the big story here is the audience retention and growth - people who tuned in stayed tuned in, meaning a sequel should theoretically blow the roof off that 3.0 number. In a fantasy world, Lawler vs. Smith will headline the sequel and EliteXC will start promoting real MMA over their freakshow stuff, but I'm not holding my breath.

Just a general comment. I certainly don't see it as a bad thing as it shows that MMA can draw just as well on Network TV as it can on cable. And I am not someone who was wanting EliteXC to fail to draw anything considered good as that wouldn't be a good thing for MMA as a whole.

Edited by Fitzy