2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

They're not going to finish 15th in the East. They're not great on paper, but they're not the worst team out there and they've got at least one good goalie. With that in mind, it could be a really heartbreaking season for Leafers, I mean if they manage to fight and grind it out for 82 games and really dig deep and stay in the playoff hunt, there's a good chance they're out of it... not by a whole lot. Which would suck if I were a Leafs fan. I kind of want them to take either 8 or 7 if Montreal is looking like they'll finish 1 or 2. That'd be intense.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mr. Potato Head

Okay EWB. Poll time.

Best song about a hockey player ever.

"Wayne Gretzky Rocks" by either the Arrogant Worms or The Pursuit Of Happiness, although it doesn't really sound like either

"French Canadian Guy" by the Arrogant Worms

"Clear the Track, Here Comes Shack" by I have no clue

:shifty:

The Leafs signed defenceman Josef Boumedienne to a 1 year deal. He had some good production for the Hershey Bears in the AHL last year, but he has done nothing at the NHL level. I am pretty sure the reason for this is to give Ron Wilson as many choices as possible in terms of who he can put on the ice next year, and this will add some depth to the Marlies.

We have Bryan McCabe, Pavel Kubina, Tomas Kaberle, Ian White, Carlo Colaiacovo, Anton Stralman, Staffan Kronwall, Jeff Finger, Jonas Frogren, and Boumedienne. Plus, they might give Schenn a chance in camp and I wouldn't be surprised if I was forgetting someone else in the Marlies that might have a shot.

"I am here to announce I still need more time to make my decision."

:lol: Probably.

Ek had rumors up we're trading Gomer to make room for Sundin. That wouuld be the worst possible way to approach any situation involving him. There was also a story on his site that last year he was waiting on a trade to the Rangers and thats why he said he'd waive his clause, but when it came down to it and the Rangers stepped out thats when he renegged. Not sure how true it is, but it makes a little sense.

Oh, and the Todd Bertuzzi country song, because it's the only one I can think of.

I'm trying to think of six different ways to explain a player disappearing from a team for an EHM diary similar to TGC's Black Plague - my starting goaltender is holding out for a new contract, which we can't give him under the current cap, and will leave in free agency; the starting right winger is retiring, due to being 35 and the starting left winger, the team's superstar, is going to be forced into quitting hockey due to a catastrophic car accident. That leaves both my starting defenseman and the number 1 centre to write out - who's got suggestions?

Ek had rumors up we're trading Gomer to make room for Sundin. That wouuld be the worst possible way to approach any situation involving him. There was also a story on his site that last year he was waiting on a trade to the Rangers and thats why he said he'd waive his clause, but when it came down to it and the Rangers stepped out thats when he renegged. Not sure how true it is, but it makes a little sense.

I'd cry if that were to happen. That would just be dumb. Sundin is amazing, but there is no way I'd trade gomez to make cap room for Sundin.

Guest Mr. Potato Head
I'm trying to think of six different ways to explain a player disappearing from a team for an EHM diary similar to TGC's Black Plague - my starting goaltender is holding out for a new contract, which we can't give him under the current cap, and will leave in free agency; the starting right winger is retiring, due to being 35 and the starting left winger, the team's superstar, is going to be forced into quitting hockey due to a catastrophic car accident. That leaves both my starting defenseman and the number 1 centre to write out - who's got suggestions?

Drug issues, accepted big money from Russian league.

Or if you're the Leafs, everyone gets either incarcerated or cancer. <_<

Yes, toe, I'm sure the Flyers fans will think this makes them, even more so, Gods gift to hockey next season, but if he's playing like he can, they're D did just get a little better. I was kinda hoping the Rangers would invite him to camp, but we need a more defensively responsible defensemen anyways.

So is someone going to make a fantasy pool this year? Or since the last three have died mid-season are we just going to skip that this year?

I checked it everyday, and made changes to my roster all of the time.

Maybe that's why I won... because I was probably the only person still keeping up with it.

I say, we do it again... there's already a thread started by Mike O about it.

Nothing is official, but it sounds like Andrej Mezsaros may have a big offer sheet in front of him. The team offering him the contract is unknown, but rumours say the deal is long term and in excess of $5 million per season.

On PSD everyone was trying to break down who it might be. The three most likely teams it came down to were Colorado, LA, and I think Atlanta or Columbus.

I could see Colorado doing it, their offense isn't as good as it was last year so maybe trying to shore up the other end. LA is also below the cap floor still and they said they were looking for a good dman to head their squad, this could be the guy they were looking for. While also getting above the cap that is.

Just read near the fantasy pages on ESPN about Meszaros. Apparently someone over there here's 'rumors running rampant' that Tampa Bay is the team in on Meszaros. Of course they'd have to move Ottawa they're 1st, 2nd and 3rd in '09. Tampa's 3rd in '09 is owned by Pittsburgh now, making the idea null, but they're hearing TBay is working hard on reacquiring it to make this happen. Not sure what to make of this, but if TBay got him, another questionable move in the line of many, but I'd be damn if they're not yet a better team again after it.