2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ we could use a goal scoring forward. Toskala plays a great game and we've got no one who can finish up front.

Even if we are still in the suck mode next year, I would bet my house that Brian Burke brings in at least one player who has a finishing touch.

Jesus Christ we could use a goal scoring forward. Toskala plays a great game and we've got no one who can finish up front.

Even if we are still in the suck mode next year, I would bet my house that Brian Burke brings in at least one player who has a finishing touch.

John Tavares?

John Tavares?

Knowing our team, we would finish dead last and then lose the draft lottery to the Islanders.

With a return like that, I have absolutely no idea why any actual hockey fan in Tampa Bay would be angry about losing Vincent Lecavalier. That's the kind of trade that, if done early enough here, could help propel Tampa into a war for a playoff spot.

As a Tampa fan, I would be happy with the return. Most Lightning fans are either:

A: Stupid Rednecks. I can't tell you how annoying it is to be at a game, and the Lightning have a powerplay, but the puck is in their zone, and all I hear is people screaming "SHOOOOOT!!"

B: Smart transplats, who only show up to games if the Lightning are in the playoffs.

C: Educated. It's a small percent, but there are educated loyal Lightning fans out there, and we would welcome that trade.

Unfortunately, group A makes up the majority of the fanbase, and as such, if Vinny gets traded (no matter who we get in reutrn), will pick up shotguns and go looking for Brian Lawton.

Vinny is a franchise player. Teams can go 10-15 years without a cornerstone player like Vinny. But when the franchise is in such dissaray, changes need to be made.

But, these reports about Vinny to Montreal have been around ever since he was drafted to Tampa, so I don't put much stock into them.

Also, from what I hear, Brian Lawton isn't too involved with some of the deals the team makes. Koules and Barrie like to be "hands on" owners.

That is true. After signing Dan Boyle to a lucrative contract with a no trade clause, Barrie basically told him that he was going to be traded. Boyle refused, saying he has a no trade clause. So Barrie, told him fine, if you don't waive the clause we will place you on waivers, where you will be picked up by a shitty team.

Boyle still has pent up resentment over beign traded. And the return SUCKED. Matt Carle is horrible, and had to be traded a month into his tenure with the team, because they realized how badly he sucked.

Luongo is back!

Without him, the Canucks managed to get to fifth in the Western Conference. If Luongo doesn't even have to be amazing, he just has to keep Vancouver steady so they can keep that spot. If Luongo is back at full health though, this Vancouver team could go on a roll. There are better teams in the Western Conference, but on a good night the Canucks should be able to give the best teams a run for their money.

Oh, and Clawson. That was such a shit trade for Calgary.

Edited by Toe

That would have been parallel to Kaberle for Carter/1st if it happened last year. :crying:

You know as well as I that they would have drafted some tall, lanky Russian with the pick and Carter would have sucked as soon as he stepped off the plane and entered Toronto.

Guest Mr. Potato Head

This is better because not only does it talk about a better player but VIC RAUTER!!!

Just found that one myself. This guy's Youtube channel is awesome - over 100 old Toronto sports clips, mostly retro TSN (old Landsberg, Jim Van Horne, Teresa Kruze, all kinds of people I'd forgotten about). Lots of hockey fights too. And that amazingly horrible O Canada from a CFL game in Vegas.

Montreal had a tough loss to the Bruins. We killed them in the first, then a really... really bad call on Kostitsyn puts Montreal down for 5 min, and we couldn't take it back from there. Although I do have to say for a team now missing 5 of their top players (Koivu, Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev and Price) we're playing surprisingly well oweing to the depth that we have that Clawson previously called fringe players...

It took 23 games to happen, but the San Jose Sharks were finally defeated at the HP Pavilion.

By who? I'm glad you asked, because it was my beloved Calgary Flames!

8 back of Detroit, 11 back of San Jose in the Conference, and 8 or 9 up on Vancouver now (who have played more games than us) for 1st in the Northwest.

It's beautiful.