2008/2009 Hockey Thread v2.0

Clawson

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Moore doesn't go into contract talks expecting a second or first line pay rate then I think we'd be better off keeping him. I can't see any team offering enough to really offset the loss of leadership and production he has with Jason Blake.

On a side note...what would people think of trying to pick up Josh Harding during the off season if he doesn't go back with the Wild? Seems like every game I watch with him he plays extremely well.

If Moore doesn't go into contract talks expecting a second or first line pay rate then I think we'd be better off keeping him. I can't see any team offering enough to really offset the loss of leadership and production he has with Jason Blake.

On a side note...what would people think of trying to pick up Josh Harding during the off season if he doesn't go back with the Wild? Seems like every game I watch with him he plays extremely well.

Nicklas Backstrom is likely on his way out of Minnesota, which opens the door for Harding to claim the number one spot with the Wild. If Backstrom leaves, Harding will stay.

Also, if Toronto is going to invest in a goalie, it needs to be a superstar goalie. Trading one guy who COULD be a great goaltender in for another guy who COULD be a great goaltender won't get them anywhere. Either stick with Toskala/Joseph/Pogge, or whoever returns next season... or go out and pick up a solid number one guy like Backstrom.

Nicklas Backstrom is likely on his way out of Minnesota, which opens the door for Harding to claim the number one spot with the Wild. If Backstrom leaves, Harding will stay.

Also, if Toronto is going to invest in a goalie, it needs to be a superstar goalie. Trading one guy who COULD be a great goaltender in for another guy who COULD be a great goaltender won't get them anywhere. Either stick with Toskala/Joseph/Pogge, or whoever returns next season... or go out and pick up a solid number one guy like Backstrom.

You're probably right about Backstrom, now that I think about it.

We're looking at Toskala starting next season, I'm pretty certain about that. CuJo I fully expect to see retire at season's end. He got his 450th win, and from what I remember hearing might be getting a job working for the Leafs after retiring. Or that's what I heard anyways.

On another note: we got a MUCH deserved win against the Rangers last night. I haven't had the chance to see the woeful Rangers first hand, but it's easy to see the problems. Even if they fire Renney I'd bet the farm that the team will see little to no improvement. Toskala had a spectacular game, 39 saves on 41 shots. Seems he may be getting hip surgery during the off season.

According to TSN, the Flames are looking for a second line centerman, but we're going to use Matthew Lombardi as bait. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, especially with all of the injuries, but okay...

the Ottawa Senators are not done with the moves yet, and Murray is as focused on next season as he is this one.

So, if Lombardi has to go, I'm thinking Lombardi, Jim Vandermeer and a 4th to Ottawa for Comrie and Mike Fisher.

Instead of giving up a forward to get a forward, we're giving up a forward to get two. Ottawa gets a guy in Lombardi who hasn't filled his potential yet, but it still very productive, and his speed alone makes him dangerous in all situations. That, and they get a character guy in Vandermeer, who I would hate to see go, and an additional draft pick this summer.

Anything less than a deal like that, in my mind, wouldn't be worth losing Lombardi for.

Also, thumbs up to the news that Torts might be getting back behind a bench. He's a smart guy with a lot to offer. I just fear that if Tom Renney couldn't control that team, no one will be able to.

Renney is obviously a talented coach who was able to make Avery fit in there and also get the most our of Jagr. I don't think he will have to wait long for another opportunity behind an NHL bench.

I wonder if the Ducks make the decision to move Pronger at the deadline.

Rumour from Eklund saying Vancouver is talking to Toronto about Antropov, with a #1 pick and a prospect coming to the Leafs.

Edited by Toe

Guest Mr. Plow
Yeah but Eklund is fucking retarded. Anybody see that shit with the Brian Burke twitter today and how Eklund apparently ran off to tattle to Burkey?

It made me want to start a parody Bob McKenzie twitter.

Take what Eklund says with a grain of salt. I'm not saying it isn't true, but I certainly wouldn't hold my breath.

The current word is that Burke doesn't plan on making a whole lot of moves come the deadline...

No Firesale in Toronto...

There's already been a wave of panic on some places :rolleyes:. I figure we'll see a deal or two and that'll be about it. Which wouldn't be that bad if the deals are good. Antropov for a 1st rounder and a prospect from Vancouver would be nice if it were to happen.

I would love to see Nik Antropov get traded, then in the off-season sign back with Toronto. If we can get one or two good forwards, the line of Poni-Stajan-Antropov would be a nice second or third line. Blake with Moore and Hagman would also make a nice second or third line. We just need to get a first line. And defence. And goaltending.

http://twitter.com/JasonBlake is golden too

@VesaToskala Get well soon! We'll be thinking of you tonight when Pogge lets in softies!

EDIT: Tosky's reply: @JasonBlake there was like, game tonight? who is Pogge?

@brianburke Why don't you call up Rask instead? @johnfergusonjr Oh, forgot about that.

Edited by Plubby

"Brian Burke": Kubina says he won't give me a list of teams he'd accept a trade to. So I gave him a list of apartments in Edmonton with vacancies in June.

I like that one.

SID THE KID HAS SORE GROIN! Cue the jokes about his Pampers being on too tight. Or maybe his scuba suit gave him a nasty case of crotch rot. Elsewhere, Ovie finishes off his morning skate by throwing on a red cape and banging three hot blondes in a kiddie pool full of hundred dollar bills at center ice just for the hell of it.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy