Your Big Gay Face 3

YI

uhhhhqz7.jpg

bridgespf8.jpg

RAPIDSHARE

MEGAUPLOAD

1. "26 Is Dancier Than 4" by This Town Needs Guns

There's a stye of 'indie-emo' that I absolutely adore. Slick technical work, beautiful melodies and catchy tracks with ridiculous names. I'm talking the likes that were inspired by American Football and Sunny Day Real Estate, but just decided to take it up a notch. "Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start", "Look Mexico", "Algernon Cadwallader", "Street Smart Cyclist" etc. This Town Needs Guns is another such band, and are quite possibly the best band of this style I have heard. This is an amazing song from start to finish. Interesting instrumentation and a powerful vocal line. These Oxford boys could have a great future.

2. "Dorothy's Right There's No Place Like Home" by Paige

Man, I fucking love Paige. They're doing nothing new or innovative, but they're rocking some amazing pop-punk tunes. This is a new one, and it's quite possibly the catchiest track I've heard all year. They are gaining a pretty big cult following in the UK at the minute, and it's easy to understand why. Perfect summer music.

3. "Tell Me All The Things" by General Fiasco

Much like Jocasta Sleeps and Indoor Fireworks on the last Gaylist, this is just a band that writes straight up catchy as hell indie-rock tunes. Big choruses all round from this Belfast based band. One of the bands I'm going to try and catch at Leeds Festival. I can't wait for them to finally drop an album.

4. "Rockist Part 1" by School Of Language

Local artist from Sunderland, very slick, very stylish. This is a song that you'll probably either love or hate. The "I-O-E-A-yadda yadda" vocal backing, you will either find incredibly cool or want to stab your ears out. Personally, I love it. Cute, dainty track.

5. "Id Engager" by Of Montreal

Of Montreal probably don't need introduced to most of you. Quirky, slightly gay, indie-pop, featuring cool basslines and the occasional dodgy synth. Here's a tune from their upcoming album "Skeletal Lamping". It does have a rather fucking cool bassline.

6. "Some Crap About The Furniture" by playradioplay!

First off, the song is a reference to Electric President. That's awesome already. The tune's basically two tunes in one. The first part is a slow build verse with a huge, epic chorus that just wants to get you dancing. There's no shortage of these electro-pop styled, bedroom artists, but at the same time, there's just not enough. Whilst not quite as happy as Owl City, it is again a really upbeat number, or at least until the second bit where it takes a darker, more ambient tone. But it's still equally as cool.

7. "Teen Lovers" by The Virgins

Oh my god. The bassline. Funky as hell. The verses are like something out of the disco-funk era. The bridge especially. Then you've got your indie-rock, thumping bass and thick guitar chords, chorus. A nice tune that never outstays its welcome.

8. "No Girls Allowed" by Data Select Party

You know Foals. This sounds like Foals. Like, right down to the guitar tones. Only, the singer sounds quite a bit angrier. I'd rather have the DSP singer have my back in a fight with Johnny Rotten's entourage. Really, really catchy track. Another British band that could have a big future. Apparently they're beginning to get some good airplay on Radio 1. If you're anything like me, you'll want to randomly break out into "SO SING IT FOR THE BOYS! SING IT FOR THE BOYS!"...but I presume not many people are like me.

9. "Cameras" by Atwood

Again, another band with a bit of a Foals/Bloc Party vibe. The chorus reminds me of another song, but I can't put my finger on it. That's the definate selling point of this song, a really catchy chorus. Again, another good British band that are building up a soli underground following. A catchy track that doesn't drag.

10. "Beachfront Avenue" by Fight Fair!

COME ON! Fight Fair's EP was great pop-punk/melodic hardcore material, and now they're back with a new track. I don't believe it's the finished article, so it's not as glossy as their other stuff, and I think it actually suits them. Although I do have visions of Yellowcard throughout the song, and not just because of the name. Incredibly catchy tune, and actually one of my favourites on the gaylist.

11. "Step Over The Wall" by Rentokill

It's a sad state of affairs when a band from Vienna, whose second language is English, write better lyrics than 4/5 of the bands out there. This is a modern punk-rock anthem. It's catchy as hell, the chorus is suitably epic and the vocal work is powerful. Brilliant track.

12. "Hey Elzar, Take It Up Another Notch With The Spice Weasel. BAM!" by Me Vs Hero

RIP Alex. :( I love Me Vs Hero. I know they've been on the Gaylist before, but given recent happenings I've felt it's fitting to put them on again, especially given that I've been listening to them a shitload recently. I hope the band stick together after all this, they have so much potential. This is another track taken from their self-titled EP.

13. "Eurocore MVP" by Venetian Snares

Venetian Snares is one of my favourite artists, and he's basically working his arse off constantly. Whether it be heavier DnB material, or like "My Downfall" ambient style numbers. Seriously, he can put out 3+ releases a year, but this makes it hard. Seeing as I only got into him a year or so ago, there's so much material, it's basically impossible for me to listen to and appreciate it all. This one's a more jungle styled track from his most recent release, with a bit of a reggae feel. Not my favourite Venetian Snares track, but it's fairly easily accessable in comparison to a lot of his stuff.

14. "Not Now But Soon" by Imogen Heap

"Speak For Yourself" was an absolutely amazing album. It's where Heap's style really came into her own, and it was chock-full with amazing tracks. This is a new track that will feature on her forthcoming release, "The Hideaway". It's a continuation of the "Speak For Yourself" style, and is another really solid track.

15. "The Day I Exploded" by ...music video?

Back to the bedroom electro-pop. ...music video? is an American artist that shows a great deal of promise. This is taken from his 2nd album, in which it's one of the standouts. He's already hard at work at his 3rd LP!

16. "Not A Love Song" by Uh Huh Her

I'm not going to lie. I checked them out because they were fit. But what we've got here is like some sort of mix between 80's synth-pop and 90's Britpop. It basically sounds like it could be used on a Sky Sports advert for darts. Oh, and they're fit.

17. "Bloodshot" by Jack's Mannequin

I love me some Jack's Mannequin. "Everything In Transit" is one of my favourite albums ever. I honestly felt there was no way the forthcoming "The Glass Passanger" could live up to my expectations, but as the first songs begin to appear, I think it might. The style's a bit different, with 'sound effects' and hand claps being used in the verse, and the piano being in the background, giving it a sort of Maroon 5 vibe at times. But don't worry, it's not shite. It's fucking awesome. Especially the chorus, which is one of the most grandiose and epic things McMahon has ever written.

18. "All The Words" by The Bridges

I'm not going to lie. I checked them out because they were fit. This is more of a 'cute' indie-pop like band though. Much like The School from the last Gaylist, Belle & Sebastian vibes etc. A bit folky/bluesy with the chord progressions too. Beautiful little track.

19. "Parasol" by Jonquil

Jonquil are a band I've been meaning to check out for a long time now. Seeing as they seem to be up this way every other week or so. They just tour their arse off. They're artsy fartsy indie-pop/rock, much like Guillemots or Beirut. This is a track from a recent EP release, which slow builds into a short vocal refrain, before horns etc. come in, and wrap up the gentle track perfectly. Very swish.

20. "Take The Tide" by Lost On Campus

Lost On Campus is an acoustic project from the UK, that shares a lot in common with Get Cape Wear Cape Fly. A beautiful little acoustic number, really catchy. Has a definate closer feel to it, so it ends off this gaylist.

Edited by YI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Listened to that Jacks Mannequin song, wasn't really that impressed. Didn't touch anything on Everything In Transit IMO, but I'll give it and the new CD a listen through once or twice. When I get a chance I'll look up thos other songs also.