Rocket Science

Krone

200px-Rocket-science.jpg

Not sure if any of you have seen this movie, but it was on Cinemax on Demand, so I decided to check it out last night and it's a pretty good movie. Apparently, it won the Dramatic Directing prize at the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. Anyways, here is my review on the movie, along with the plot.

Rocket Science Review and Plot

Plot

Hal Hefner is an ordinary and shy 15 year-old boy who's struggling to make it through the perils of high school. On top of his parents' recent divorce and an obsessive-compulsive, kleptomaniac older brother , Hal has a stuttering problem. In spite of this speech impediment, the high school debate team star, Ginny Ryerson, invites Hal to join the team. Stumbling his way to the championship, Hal falls in love, gains confidence and ultimately, realizes that love and life should not be rocket science.

**SPOILER ALERT**

Review

This was a great movie and really shows just how hard high school can be for some. I really got attached to the character of Hal and enjoyed the hell out of this movie, especially when he ends up getting Ginny's old team mate in Ben Wekselbomb and tries to get into the state championship only to be kicked out of it. There was really nothing wrong with this movie in my mind, although I was kind of disappointed at the end with how they just drove off (Hal and his dad). I wanted to see something like involving Ben and Ginny or Ginny and Hal, or some interaction there instead of just seeing him all pissed off and then leaving with his dad. It kind of feels like there is an open door there which somewhat makes me happy, but I would have preferred to have known what happened at the state competition and if Ginny and the asian kid won it all or if something else happened. Anways, I give it.

Rating: *****

Rating Reason: It was a solid movie and while the ending was a little bit flawed, it shows just what high school is and how tough love can be, all in a realistic setting and way.